The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks Vs Senators | 7pm | Stream on Canucks.com

Rate this topic

taskicon

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Leivo and Boeser on the power play on the left side is awkward looking, I wasn’t sure if Leivo was running a pick or just standing in Brocks way. 

I’m not sure why he’s there either.  All the criticisms to both JV and LE, yet this guy just gets gifted the sweetest assignments now pretty much since he arrived.  It was a worthy experiment - and yes he’s a decent depth guy - as in injury replacement.  Maybe TG just doesn’t trust JVs brain will work quick enough - but I’m sure he’d score at a better rate and he has the wheels to get back if things go sideways.   LE - well he’s proven he can score in this league too, and he’s a better passer - more experienced option.    Hopefully when Hughes gets his turn on the first PP unit it will force the odd man out completely - Horvat, EP, Boeser, JT Miller and Hughes /Myers/Edler.  

Second unit Leivo/ Pearson/LE, JV, Gaudette, Bear, Hughes/Edler/Myers ... the experiment worked in that it’s shown that he’s capable of not adding much value, but in a pinch doesn’t take too much value away either - play him as the 13th forward maybe but please take him off the first unit once the regular season opens - he had a lot of time there last year too but J.T. Miller has absolutely shown what a real top six player should look like. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I like Leivo on the Powerplay. Give us another right shot besides Boeser. He's got a really good shot, plus he's money in front of the net. I also like Miller in front of the net. He's a big body and another guy who can get sticks on pucks. When Ferland comes back, I'd slot him in for Miller in the goalies grill, Leivo in the high slot for one-timers and deflections, Hughes, Boeser and Petey orchestrating the play from the outside.

Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi and Edler/Myers on the second unit. Not huge on the fact that there would be no right shots on PP2 but they'll still be able to wreak havoc and capitalize on rebounds in front of the net. Plus all of these guys have pretty good wristers so they'll be able to do some damage as well.

Leivo had 1 power play goal (4pts) in close to 130 minutes of powerplay time last season.   Miller is a better scoring option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I like Leivo on the Powerplay. Give us another right shot besides Boeser. He's got a really good shot, plus he's money in front of the net. I also like Miller in front of the net. He's a big body and another guy who can get sticks on pucks. When Ferland comes back, I'd slot him in for Miller in the goalies grill, Leivo in the high slot for one-timers and deflections, Hughes, Boeser and Petey orchestrating the play from the outside.

Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi and Edler/Myers on the second unit. Not huge on the fact that there would be no right shots on PP2 but they'll still be able to wreak havoc and capitalize on rebounds in front of the net. Plus all of these guys have pretty good wristers so they'll be able to do some damage as well.

Leivo has not displaced Horvats value on the PP - no matter what side he shoots from.  Horvat should be there to take the draws and cause havoc infront of the net.   I get that balancing out the two units has some merit too.  Play him the entire time then - some teams do this.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Leivo has not displaced Horvats value on the PP - no matter what side he shoots from.  Horvat should be there to take the draws and cause havoc infront of the net.   I get that balancing out the two units has some merit too.  Play him the entire time then - some teams do this.  

If anybody is gonna play the entire PP, shouldn't it be EP?

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’m not sure why he’s there either.  All the criticisms to both JV and LE, yet this guy just gets gifted the sweetest assignments now pretty much since he arrived.  It was a worthy experiment - and yes he’s a decent depth guy - as in injury replacement.  Maybe TG just doesn’t trust JVs brain will work quick enough - but I’m sure he’d score at a better rate and he has the wheels to get back if things go sideways.   LE - well he’s proven he can score in this league too, and he’s a better passer - more experienced option.    Hopefully when Hughes gets his turn on the first PP unit it will force the odd man out completely - Horvat, EP, Boeser, JT Miller and Hughes /Myers/Edler.  

Second unit Leivo/ Pearson/LE, JV, Gaudette, Bear, Hughes/Edler/Myers ... the experiment worked in that it’s shown that he’s capable of not adding much value, but in a pinch doesn’t take too much value away either - play him as the 13th forward maybe but please take him off the first unit once the regular season opens - he had a lot of time there last year too but J.T. Miller has absolutely shown what a real top six player should look like. 

I'm on the fence about Leivo.  On one hand, he's noticeable as you watch, but if you look deeper, he's not actually doing a lot of constructive things out there.  I absolutely agree that he's been gifted a lot of playing time and special teams time for no apparent reason.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Considering Bess played the remainder of the game, which was a lot, i'd say he's fine.  

If the core can stay healthy, this team will be a threat. And if the PP does what it did last night then I’d say Canucks are sure to be in the playoffs. But we all know how the hockey gods treat us when we get hot. Usually around January/February, the plauge starts. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm on the fence about Leivo.  On one hand, he's noticeable as you watch, but if you look deeper, he's not actually doing a lot of constructive things out there.  I absolutely agree that he's been gifted a lot of playing time and special teams time for no apparent reason.

Right shot is the only reason.

1 hour ago, Darius said:

i hate quoting patergoof but...

Could be related to that cheapshot he took from Tierney from behind?

Definitely a type of hit that could take effect later based on the position his back was in during the impact and his history.

probably fine while he was still loose and warm and then got tight shortly after the game.

but I’ll wait on Dr. Recchi.