The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gaudette Conundrum

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Gaudette's poll  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a time for everything...it would not hurt Gaudette to be sent to Utica where he can keep developing playing big minutes.

The Canucks have some depth now where this is possible....JV only wishes this could have happened to him....or at least he should have wished for this back when he first came into the league...If Gaudette goes down to Utica, we will be seeing him in a Canuck uniform eventually ...same goes for OJ.

Gaudette has outplayed some who will be on the roster, which may mean that the club is not icing their best team, but it won't be a big factor because there will soon be injuries.

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Is there a chance Canucks claim someone off waivers?

If I was Jimbo

1. Fix cap problem

2. look at all the other teams leftovers too add in making better assets for the team. This actually should #1.

3. Look at who fits best in each position. Example  (Gaud is a Center there’s no spots left, is he the best winger option?)

4. Send the non fitter to Utica. Including Gaud.

Then you have to put another person on waivers.  Isn't that the dilemma right now?  Who to put on waivers in the first place?  You're making the situation worse imo.  And I doubt there would be any players on waivers that the canucks would want atm.

I love having him on the team but do we consider trading Beagle? That opens up the option to have Gaudette play Centre on a third scoring line and load up Sutter with the defensive responsibilities. It also has the benefit that Beagle is a desirable player, so we could possibly get something worthwhile for him.

Have done zero research so you can let me know if this isn't possible for some reason, but I wonder if it is an option.

45 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I love having him on the team but do we consider trading Beagle? That opens up the option to have Gaudette play Centre on a third scoring line and load up Sutter with the defensive responsibilities. It also has the benefit that Beagle is a desirable player, so we could possibly get something worthwhile for him.

Have done zero research so you can let me know if this isn't possible for some reason, but I wonder if it is an option.

Most teams already have their version of Beagle, and probably at a better cap hit/term. If his contract was closer to expiring then maybe.

If there is a meritocracy at camp, Gaudette is in.

Eriksson and Sutter are in the twilight of their careers.   Useful vets but I question their drive and motivation....  last year both were floating way too often, and that isn’t the veteran example that they should be sending to the young players.  They need a kick in the ass.  Send them to Utica and hope that lights a fire under their asses - and hopefully they become  what we want:  solid vets that set a good example.  If they make the team right now it is a negative message

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

Sutter on the wing. I don't know why this is even a question.  Sutter's game, what it is, is not going to get much worse or better changing positions. Use him to take face-offs for a majority of times if you like and then switch.  Sutter's ceiling as a center is done.  He's consistent, which is great, but he's a mediocre player, a support player. Gaudette is just starting to emerge, his ceiling has yet to be determined. He should be given all the opportunity to succeed at center position.....starting now.  As a support player, Sutter's job should be just than, to support Gaudette's transition to an NHL calibre center ice man.

Playing c isn't just about faceoffs, you're also the primary defensive fwd in your own end.  If you think AG can remotely carry water for Sutter in that respect, I'm not sure what to say.

Ultimately, I think they send AG down, as they should.......it's not going to hurt his development in the least.

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

If there is a meritocracy at camp, Gaudette is in.

Eriksson and Sutter are in the twilight of their careers.   Useful vets but I question their drive and motivation....  last year both were floating way too often, and that isn’t the veteran example that they should be sending to the young players.  They need a kick in the ass.  Send them to Utica and hope that lights a fire under their asses - and hopefully they become  what we want:  solid vets that set a good example.  If they make the team right now it is a negative message

I can't imagine anyone even suggesting that Sutter floats or that he is in the twilight of his career.  The teams that win Cups have a core made up of players Sutter's age, not Peteys age.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh yeah forgot we have the roster set in stone already..... Not like there's an extra bodies that need to be moved right....

What you call a mess is actually an opportunity. You talk about having extra bodies like it is a bad thing, instead of a credit to the organizational depth.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Then you have to put another person on waivers.  Isn't that the dilemma right now?  Who to put on waivers in the first place?  You're making the situation worse imo.  And I doubt there would be any players on waivers that the canucks would want atm.

Answer keep Gaud for Tuesday deadline. Look at what other teams Waived if there’s someone who’s a better options then any of the bubble players, pickup that player send down Gaud...another asset gained. 

Anyways reguardless of who Canucks waive or picked up. Gaudette is still Canuck property. 

Im also a hypocrite , if Canucks lose any of the players they waive I’m not really overly upset. 

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can't imagine anyone even suggesting that Sutter floats or that he is in the twilight of his career.  The teams that win Cups have a core made up of players Sutter's age, not Peteys age.

Yah, but we are not a Cup team this year..... so better to be rebuilding with guys Peteys age or 2-3 yrs older......

Asset management is the game.  Sell assets that are depreciating rapidly....  EG Sutter.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

No question he deserves to be on the Canucks after his preseason, imo it's all on Benning to fix the mess he's made, whether it's trades or waivers Benning needs to make the room for Gaudette.

I think you misspelled "competition" or maybe "depth"

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I voted "No, he will not start the season in the NHL."

But I still hope they give him a few NHL games (probably 4C role, averaging 8min on-ice time) before sending him down so he would know what to work on this season.

I do think if he ends up averaging 5-8 mins time on the ice this season, his development will be derailed. 

Instead, if that was the case, it would benefit him more if he gets 20+ mins per night in the A.

or should they really utilize him as 3C and have him split match-ups with Beagle?

Decisions decisions...

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Really?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/analyzing-the-average-age-of-stanley-cup-winning-teams.aspx

The median age is 26.  So not sure where you are getting your facts from.  Sutter is 30/31 - and he has slowed down.  Dramatically this last year, he is not the same player he was a few years ago.