The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini Interview Thursday OCT 3 @ 10 AM

Rate this topic

Squamfan

One of the worst owners in North American pro sports. Butchered the Canucks brand for the 50th anniversary, very meddlesome, pushed Linden out of his presidency, very feared by his many employees. Aquilini only bought the Canucks and the arena was so he could build his real estate empire in the surrounding areas as well as the future add-on towers to Roger Arena. He only spends to the cap so the Canucks can be in the playoffs - that's how he makes his loot other than ripping off his employees in his other businesses.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 7

On 10/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

One of the worst owners in North American pro sports. Butchered the Canucks brand for the 50th anniversary, very meddlesome, pushed Linden out of his presidency, very feared by his many employees. Aquilini only bought the Canucks and the arena was so he could build his real estate empire in the surrounding areas as well as the future add-on towers to Roger Arena. He only spends to the cap so the Canucks can be in the playoffs - that's how he makes his loot other than ripping off his employees in his other businesses.

that sounds like every owner in pro sports   , how else do they get rich   by ripping off people  playing the system etc etc   ,never hear about anymore trouble on the blue berry farm now ?   hmm that got swept under the rug   lol

Edited by the grinder
  • Haha 2

On 9/30/2019 at 5:14 PM, Alflives said:

I respect that view.  However, if Loui is so valuable in a checking and PK role, why is he going to sit in the press box?  

What difference does that make? Somebody is going to be in the sitting pressbox regardless. Is the team on the ice better if Baer is sitting in the pressbox?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Francesco Aquilini on Sportsnet 650:

"I remember when we had our 40th anniversary, it was very exciting. Henrik Sedin was named captain, we're going to name our captain on Wednesday -- it's probably the worst kept secret in town... but I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag!"

"To succeed, I think you need 5 captains on a team. Just because 1 person wears the 'C' doesn't mean that the others don't provide leadership that is needed. We're hoping for a whole group of guys to emerge."

On being patient: "In this business there are ebbs and flows. People have expectations to win all the time forever -- that just doesn't work. There's always a new group of players that come in. We had a good team for many years, this new younger group comes in and need to learn what it takes. You have to be patient -- there's no other choice. You can't bring in a core, which is what you need to do to win, by trading players and free agency. All the successful teams have cores that have been drafted. That's Jim and his team -- identifying players that can be our core, give them time to develop, learn the game. They're coming in as 18-20 yr olds and playing against men."

"We've got to take the next step. Based on the group we have, the experience we're bringing in and  some of these young guys, it's something that evolves and expect improvement. I think the whole city is expecting improvement."

On Baertschi waiving: "As an owner, all I can do is provide the best and as many resources I can to Jim. Internal competition is always a good thing -- this year we had that. Jim and Travis had a lot of options. It's unfortunate for Sven, I think he's a good hockey player."

On sending down high-price players: "The goal is to make the hockey team better. Whoever is going to fit in and make that happen, that's what's going to happen. Money is not a factor. If 1 player is better than another, Jim and Travis their only goal is to win, my job is to support them. If it starts turning into a money issue then we're not trying to win."

"Roberto was the backbone of the team. I don't know what his personal circumstances were and his situation -- I don't know why he did retire. We did appeal to the league, but the rules are the rules and we just have to live with it -- nothing we can do about it. I'm frustrated as well but there's nothing we can do about it -- we have to accept it and move on... if you don't like it, Satiar Shah -- I'll give you Gary's number"

On commemorating Luongo: "Roberto's number is being retired in Florida this year. We've got a lot of stuff going on with our our 50th anniversary plans, so no plans right now for Roberto -- we might in the future but right now we don't."

On NBA: "The numbers are cost prohibitive now. There was a time that maybe it was possible but to spend $2 billion on an NBA team is not something we're going to do. It's just not in our wheelhouse."

"We've got a good relationship with Utica but we're always looking to improve. If bringing the team closer makes it better from a hockey perspective -- we'd look at that. There's pros and cons to both sides of the argument. Right now we have a contract for 2 years."

And with that the slumlord let's the cat out of the bag.  What a dufus.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What difference does that make? Somebody is going to be in the sitting pressbox regardless. Is the team on the ice better if Baer is sitting in the pressbox?

Absolutely.  Loui only showed he lacked both the care and physical tools to play in the NHL last season.  He's old, weak, slow, and said bad stuff (publicly) about our coach.  He's openly asked to be traded.  I'd say we don't want that attitude around, even if in the press box.  

On 10/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

I  met Aquilini some time ago and I found him to be a very nice person who loves hockey.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely.  Loui only showed he lacked both the care and physical tools to play in the NHL last season.  He's old, weak, slow, and said bad stuff (publicly) about our coach.  He's openly asked to be traded.  I'd say we don't want that attitude around, even if in the press box.  

I suspect you're projecting yourself onto Loui..... :lol:

• Haha 1