The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Graovac | C

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Trade our BS. Trade sutter for a 2nd or 3rd & call this guy into the mix.

Whaddyagottalose?!

A top two Dman like Schmidt is far more valuable than a utility forward. We paid a two years down the road 3rd for Schmidt. Do you seriously expect to get more than that for Sutter?

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Neutered?.

Half the players I'm excited to see that should be on it are either on taxi squads or on another team like the Manitoba Moose. Utica could be a pretty sweet team this year but due to covid they're not nearly as fun to watch as last year. 

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yes.  Because Schmidt was a Vegas "We must dump salary" situation.  Ours isn't 

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I still don't understand how people don't get this.

I saw this same sentiment expressed by many posters after the JT Miller trade, the idea that when you (Tampa or Vegas) have a very high quality asset that you need to sell, one that many people would covet, you will need to give that asset away dirt cheap. That is not the case.

When you have a very desirable, very difficult-to-acquire asset that you need to sell, such as a top pairing Dman or a strong versatile skilled forward, and you are negotiating with someone who is not willing to pay a reasonable price, you do not need to deal with that party. 

You can and should hang up the phone and then call up the GMs of whichever of the 29 other teams you can see need your asset the most. You tell each of them that if they are not willing to pay a reasonable price for the player, no problem, you will trade him to one of their competitors.

Do you seriously believe that a team GM who has been trying to acquire a top pairing Dman for years, as many have, will prefer to let that player go to one of their competitors rather than paying a reasonable price for that player? That would be very foolish, and not that many really stupid people get responsible 7-figure salary jobs.

This season, Covid/ reduced revenues/ reduced salary cap/ the upcoming expansion draft have combined to dramatically distort the trade market. Player values have plummeted while draft picks are even more expensive.

It is not very realistic to expect to get more for a 32 year old rental utility forward than you paid for a 3 year younger top pairing Dman on a good contract, in the same season.

Getting back on topic, Rayovac is sounding electric, and I am really forward to seeing him play.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Half the players I'm excited to see that should be on it are either on taxi squads or on another team like the Manitoba Moose. Utica could be a pretty sweet team this year but due to covid they're not nearly as fun to watch as last year. 

Gotcha. They sure miss Bailey, Brisebois, DiPietro, and Rafferty. Of course, they also miss Boucher in a game like this. Baertschi has not been particularly effective this season. I’d rather have Woo than Chatfield, though, if we have to make a choice. Glaovac could really help in the middle, too, where the only natural centre is a rookie, Focht (assuming no St Louie players).

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gotcha. They sure miss Bailey, Brisebois, DiPietro, and Rafferty. Of course, they also miss Boucher in a game like this. Baertschi has not been particularly effective this season. I’d rather have Woo than Chatfield, though, if we have to make a choice. Glaovac could really help in the middle, too, where the only natural centre is a rookie, Focht (assuming no St Louie players).

Yeah for sure. One player that's helping alleviate some of this is Sam Anas but it's a shame he's not our player. I actually think he has the ability to be an NHL level playmaker. 

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah for sure. One player that's helping alleviate some of this is Sam Anas but it's a shame he's not our player. I actually think he has the ability to be an NHL level playmaker. 

Not helping a lot at the moment, he’s hurt. But yeah, he does bring offence with seven assists in five games, but is a liability defensively. Still, he probably adds more on the pp than what he gives up even strength.

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! Graovac joins the taxi squad, and apparently made very good use of his concussion protocol period, serving out his one week quarantine while he was out of the lineup with the injury. He’s now available for the Canucks roster, if needed, and will be joining the team for the road trip.

EDIT: Have to say, while I give the Canucks management some criticism at times, this was good foresight and “asset management.” Made the best of a bad situation by initiating the taxi squad recall over a week ago and then using concussion protocol to their advantage, by having Graovac quarantine while he sat out. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

Time to move this discussion up.

I have watched him close last 2 games he played and still not sure what we have in Tyler G?

Seems to win battles down low on the boards

Not a big hitter or fighter?

Speed doesnt stand out,  but not noticeably slow

Quick release shot, mediocre passing

Watching him I think his game needs more urgancy, peddle to metal, in your face attitude with a few good hits here and there. Or is this is it, what you see is what you get?

Wonder what motivates him? 

• Like 1

He lit it up in his 9 game loan to the Moose earlier this season, before his injury.  2 goals, 7 assists in 9 games. Was a +10, and led the AHL in points until his injury. 

Not a stat that the AHL tracks, but I remember in game 7 or 8 the commentator saying he was 72% in faceoff % for the early season.  Didn't take a penalty in that 9 game stretch

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He lit it up in his 9 game loan to the Moose earlier this season, before his injury.  2 goals, 7 assists in 9 games. Was a +10, and led the AHL in points until his injury. 

Not a stat that the AHL tracks, but I remember in game 7 or 8 the commentator saying he was 72% in faceoff % for the early season.  Didn't take a penalty in that 9 game stretch

Why can’t he be our 3C (Sutter replacement) next season?  

• Like 1

He's a big guy (6'5" and 20i lbs) but doesn't play very physical 

Career NHl stats are 76 games, 10 goals, 2 assists.  Maybe just hasn't shown enough?  We're his 3rd team after the Wild and the Caps

I liked what Graovac showed in his time last season, and he's been good the past few games too. Probably the best out of this ragtag group of bottom six guys. I don't know if he has enough to be a regular in the lineup but I'd like to see him back next year, I think he can be something like the forward version of Alex Biega for us (older guy who won't complain about sitting in the press box as the 13th/14th forward but can step in and play solid minutes when needed).

• Like 1

Tyler Graovac is doing a "lot of the little things right" but he gets paid a lot less than some other players.  He has shown to be a good two-way player with decent skill.  I will be disappointed if we can't find a spot on our NHL team next year in a bottom 6 role and depth player.  I actually liked him last year until he had the serious injury. 

Graovac, Hawryluk and Highmore have shown like they could earn a spot but especially Graovac.

• Cheers 1