The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Not really.  

Teams take a bit of time to get moving.  Calgary has has a few years together and their goalie was on top of his game.  

The Nucks are basically a brand new team.  This off season was a major overhaul.  

Then add to 3 rookies in Demko, Gaudette and Hughes.  

Then Brock was a late comer, missed camp and has a big distraction, rightfully so, from hockey.  

Give these guys 20 games to see the chemistry work.  Myers has been a force, tossed Giordano like a ragdoll after the cheap shot cross check while, he was getting up.  

Virtannen played well, like the hustle on that line, Beagle and Horvat looked great in the dot, Hughes controls play more than any other Canuck.  The defence was active and had Tanev not had an unusually bad game things could have been different.  

Ep40 needs some reps, same with Brock and Ferland.  Miller is a great two way guy, Pearson was for checking really well and can someone take Lievo off the power play.  

Would love to see the d pairings switched up.  

Hughes and Myers, top pair, offence and both are new guys, so can take some time to develop chemistry.   

Edler and Tanev good two way play and have played together well before.  This line is a great second pairing.  Can stabilize the d while the team adjusts.  

Benn and Stecher defence zone starts and potentially a great pairing.  

Markstrom is a stud, played great.  

Yes really.

While I don't buy too much of what you're saying, I'm going to give the guys 82 games to see the chemistry work, because this is what we have to work with. The moves have been made, the money has been spent, responsibilities have been handed out. Now comes the accountability or lack thereof. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I think what we have seen from Myers so far is very representative of his career ..... some good close-out defensive play, decent puck movement, but with a noticeable amount of gaffs mixed in. I think that's what he is, and how he has been regarded over the years .... not unlike Edler for much of his time here. I think the braintrust is rolling the dice that we will get more of the former and less of the latter. 

If Myers can be a 40 to 50 point guy and still play defence, I think JB knocked it out of the park.  

Edler and Myers is like having 2 Edlers.  Well that's definitely an upgrade from the last 4 years.  

Hughes is better than both, so with Hughes and the 2 Edlers, that's what, twice as good as last seasons defence.  I will take it.  

Myers offence was vastly better than anything I have seen in the last 4 years outside of Hughes.  Now having Edler paired with another Edler.... no thanks..

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Matthews has 5 goals already??!!   Gross.

It is gross because I take petey over Matthews, but petey needs to shoot more. Everyone raves about Matthews's shot, but I think petey has just as good of a shot, but he's afraid to unleash it as much as Matthews. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not so much concerned as I am surprised by how out of sync we really are collectively. I didn't think the gap would be as big between on paper and on the ice.

Obviously training camp and the preseason didn't give us enough time. We're seeing that. There were a lot of issues and focus on individual players in the preseason. It really was too much of an audition process with new faces and not enough team building with a version of the final roster. That's happening now in real time, which is frustrating to watch.

Do I believe we're terrible? No, of course not. Did we look terrible the last couple games? I think so. I don't mind saying that. And if our top six isn't producing, hey, there are less excuses this year than last year. 

The silver lining is that we're only going to get better as a unit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not so much concerned as I am surprised by how out of sync we really are collectively. I didn't think the gap would be as big between on paper and on the ice.

Obviously training camp and the preseason didn't give us enough time. We're seeing that. There were a lot of issues and focus on individual players in the preseason. It really was too much of an audition process with new faces and not enough team building with a version of the final roster. That's happening now in real time, which is frustrating to watch.

Do I believe we're terrible? No, of course not. Did we look terrible the last couple games? I think so. I don't mind saying that. And if our top six isn't producing, hey, there are less excuses this year than last year. 

The silver lining is that we're only going to get better as a unit. 

This is 100% my issue. Yes the schedule was not ideal in preseason but things easily could have been done differently. Guys that they knew were going to be on the team should have been playing together and getting more games in preseason. Easily could have focused more on that than playing the prospects/tryouts so damn much. For a team with playoff aspirations, throwing away points at the start of the season because you pissed away preseason is a good way to not make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The Good:

Hughes

Miller

Markstrom

Myers (save the give away but I thought he played well)

The Decent:

Horvat

Virtanen

The Bad:

Leivo

Boeser - has he ever been invisible to start the season. We need him to pick it up and I think off of EPs line except for th PP. I believe he will rebound.

The Mediocre:

Everyone else

Not panicking yet but 0-2 is a rough start to the year. Changes need to be made to the PP and the fwd lines.

Maybe Brock is still suffering from the cncussion, which means he should not be playing. I have no faith in the Canuck medical staff, but maybe he didn't train enough in the off season.

So, yes there is room for improvement

But, it took St. Louis until Christmas to get their shtt together

and look how that turned out

Not saying our guys will win the cup this year

But lets give them a couple more games to see how things improve

My only player move that I think happens in a couple of weeks is

Baertschi up for Eriksson or Schaller

I think it will happen, but it is difficult so close to the cap

as even if you waive one of them, you only get 1M relief

So, Benning has to wait until someone in the league gets injured

But it is complicated, for sure

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm a homer and I deny it.

Anyone who didn't watch the game would be misled by your account of it.  We didn't score - and that's an issue...but goaltending was good.  

We outshot them, beat them in the dot and it wasn't totally lopsided.  Sure, the physicality did factor in and that end needs to be addressed to some degree.  But teams will try to pull skill players off their game that way...so it isn't always advisable to buy in, either.

Teams at home for their opener come out fired up...it's a fact.  We start slow and that also needs to be addressed.....more fire out of the gate.

Calgary also blocked a LOT of shots...that'll take a toll over time as they sacrifice their bodies.  Injuries become a factor in this race.

But it wasn't pathetic, even if some of the responses are challenging for that title.

They're working out the kinks of a new team.  The season started less than a week ago...let's get a bigger sample size then decide about homers and pathetic.  Seems a little dramatic at this stage to those of us who accept losing as part of the deal.

We're starving for something good in this town but that can make people impatient in a rabid way.  This isn't a case of instant noodles, we're still figuring out a recipe here for something good.  82 games and, beyond that, playoffs will determine if we're good or bad.  While we're still in the initial stages of who goes where, it's a little premature to assign those labels.

They didn’t make a single pass. Edler on the 5 on 3, Myers on the giveaway. The countless dump ins that led to a Cgy rush the other way. No zone entries. We were behind the play, every single play. We’ll bounce back, but that game was as ugly as it gets. Marky was fine though I’ll give him credit. 

3 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

This is 100% my issue. Yes the schedule was not ideal in preseason but things easily could have been done differently. Guys that they knew were going to be on the team should have been playing together and getting more games in preseason. Easily could have focused more on that than playing the prospects/tryouts so damn much. For a team with playoff aspirations, throwing away points at the start of the season because you pissed away preseason is a good way to not make the playoffs.

Agree 100%. Was thinking the same thing. With such a short camp and brief preseason, it was even more important this year since we had the new additions. You can see how we arrived at this place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Matthews has 5 goals already??!!   Gross.

This is true...but,

Matthews has had the same elite playmaker and offensive dman helping him out for several years now.  Matthews himself, is a sniper, but not much of a playmaker.

Pete is equally playmaker/sniper playing on a line with new faces (Brock off and on last season); neither of which you would call 'playmakers'.  My preference would be to have Brock and Miller switched so that Pete would have a playmaker on his line.

Ferland-Pete-Miller   and then I like Baer - Bo - Brock.  Just seems like both lines become similarly balanced.  The 3rd line becomes the n/s crashing line with Pearson-Gaud-Jake.

Regardless, I have worries about the lineup at this point.  The player chemistry and team cohesion will make it's appearance soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, lmm said:

Maybe Brock is still suffering from the cncussion, which means he should not be playing. I have no faith in the Canuck medical staff, but maybe he didn't train enough in the off season.

Or he just isn't in game shape yet since he missed most of training camp?

• Upvote 2