The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

This is why you play your regulars in the final 2 preseason games so they can get this worked out before the games count. This is all on Green and his coaching staff. 

Yup. Now we're ironing out the wrinkles when it matters.

I like Green but this has been his biggest mistake thus far.

I think fans are angry/frustrated not because the team has sucked for 2 games, but because it’s been the same story since, what, 2013?

Injuries, slow starts, lack of team toughness, boring hockey for the most part, terrible coaches, management twiddling their thumbs, blah, blah, blah. Sick of it. 

We don’t have any prospect depth after all these years of failure and embarrassingly have zero cap space. Not to mention we traded next year’s first.

Other teams are passing us by, while we pull out our trusty rolodex of excuses every April.

Forget contending for a cup, this team’s current management and player personnel composition will struggle to get a wild card spot. Remember how fun it used to be considered a contender every year? I don’t.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

Team didn’t play as badly as people are making out. Calgary is a higher tier team and we had lots of chances. Gripping our sticks and lacking confidence but didn’t quit. 

We look much better than last year, even though we didn't score.

Feels weird to say that but it's true.

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

I liked that line too and AG definitely shows moments of serious potential.......he also gets struggles defensively at 3C, but if they role with that configuration I'm sure he''ll adjust.  He's a gamer, for sure.

I'd like to see Baer on that line, drop Schaller to Utica and Leivo to the 4th.

Baer showed some decent chemistry with Gaud during the preseason and Jake is looking good with Gaud.  A lot of fans seem to think that Baer is purely offensive, but he is far more of a complete player than he is getting credit for (although when he first joined the Canucks, he didn't have much of a defensive game).  If Gaud is a quick learner in his role as 3C, I can see Baer being called up at some point.

The truth is, Baer was only sent to Utica because management knew (at this point in time) no team would pick him off waivers because of his salary cap.  This allowed them to hang onto other players that would have been picked off.  In due time, the cream will float to the top and the coaches will determine what the final roster will look like (minus injuries).  At that point, there may be an opportunity to trade an outgoing player rather than send him down to Utica.

The team lines will look quite different in a few weeks and I am confidant we will see the return of Baer at some point.

• Like 2

How can a coach possibly say he likes a 0 for 9 power play? Maybe he should give Brown a raise or contract extension  for that likeable power play? 

That says a lot about the culture Green has put in place .... it’s ok just “look good” don't worry about results 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

“I liked (our power play) but I don’t like that we haven’t scored,” coach Travis Green said. :huh::picard: 

Any idiot that talks like this doesn't deserve to be a head coach.....Sigh

WTF. Maybe coach Green has gotten the PP confused with the three times he had the man advantage with too many players on the ice last two games. Ugh.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Jake did look much better. He wasn't afraid to hold Lucic against the boards either, got in the face of other guys too. Maybe this new look 3rd line with AG is what Jake needs.... thats what I'm hoping. 

Not playing with garbage ***king players like Shaller for 9 minutes a night is exactly what he needs.

• Upvote 1

I think the highlight of this thread was someone complaining about the equipment manager haha, pretty much sums it up right there.  Hopefully it's just rust but some of you need to calm the eff down,  sweet jesus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I think fans are angry/frustrated not because the team has sucked for 2 games, but because it’s been the same story since, what, 2013?

Injuries, slow starts, lack of team toughness, boring hockey for the most part, terrible coaches, management twiddling their thumbs, blah, blah, blah. Sick of it. 

We don’t have any prospect depth after all these years of failure and embarrassingly have zero cap space. Not to mention we traded next year’s first.

Other teams are passing us by, while we pull out our trusty rolodex of excuses every April.

Forget contending for a cup, this team’s current management and player personnel composition will struggle to get a wild card spot. Remember how fun it used to be considered a contender every year? I don’t.

They haven't sucked, they outshot both teams.  They just can't score and Petey and Boes are MIA

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Not even remotely concerned.  with so many new faces this year I expect October to be a tire fire before chemistry forms

And that's fair. But the Canucks picked up three players of note (Myers, Ferland, Miller) that their teams were willing to part with. While they can be viewed as upgrades to what was here before, they only really become upgrades when the team succeeds, and the longer that takes to occur,  the more discomfort there is amongst both the team and the fanbase. There is no guarantee of anything. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Any good coach looks at the team critically after every game and does an honest evaluation of what needs to change. Otherwise you are left with the status quo and look how that has worked for us.

Every time Green just accepts the status quo and we all hope for different on ice results. listen to his dribble during press conferences. This team is not evolving under Green. 

You should take a break from the internet champ.

• Cheers 1