The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Oct. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The reason is Newell Brown

I don't think Edler is dynamic enough to QB PP1. Really need to add a D with better hands and movement; e.g. QH.

Chemistry will come. It's the softness that troubles me--need a wolf pack mentality and Calgary schools the Nucks on the point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Bigger risk for him in Utica.  Not as skilled, much choppier game in the AHL.

Sure but taking a roster spot when your that fragile in the NHL is a huge risk at any rate.. rather see someone else other than the nux take that chance

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I loved the short elbows Jake was throwing as one of the Flames continually cross checked him in the back during a board battle.  Kudos to the refs for letting them battle it out on that one.

Me too, noticed that.  

It doesn't have to be a glaring, drop the gloves and start pummelling a guy...it has to be a get out of my face pushback and I, too, saw the elbows to send that message.  Can't always play by the book ... sometimes it needs to just be scrum dirty.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

So true. After a hamonic took an extra whack at marky Gaudette was all up in his grill and cross checking him repeatedly. We need that type of pack mentality. The cam unfortunately then panned to a gassed Brandon Sutter who just casually skated by. 

Sutter showed zero interest in the after whisle activities. He could have just been gassed but he has to show some life.

The only time Sutter stood out to me was on a shift where he was coasting back o the bench while Calgary was breaking down the ice on a rush.  He didn't look engaged at all.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Sure but taking a roster spot when your that fragile in the NHL is a huge risk at any rate.. rather see someone else other than the nux take that chance

Anyone that takes a blindsided hit to the head is fragile in the NHL.  Big guys like Adam McQuaid and Stephen Johns have still not been able to resume play after taking hits to the head.  

I don't think you can base whether a player is in or out on "potential risk of injury".  ALL players are subject to that...head hits are dangerous.  One, two, five.  

Base it on what they show when they're out there - Sven's shown he creates offense.  Puts himself in good positions and never stops moving.

Had to miss the game, was at a concert. I PVRd it though, is it worth watching? No goals, 0 for 6 on the PP. On paper, I think this team should be scoring in bunches and physically dominating other teams. Season hasn't started out that way. Is it a coaching issue? 

"Ferlund -Petterson -Miller

Pearson - Bo- Boes

Leivo - Sutter - Virt(Gaudette)

LE -Beagle - Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stech

Marky

Demko

Schaller,Baertchi,Goldy are on the bubble.

It appears TG is favoring the bigger, hard working, fore checker as opposed to the smaller skilled players that are not core players.

LE does not fit this criteria but his defensive skills will keep him in the line up. Virt is questionable because of his consistency.

Gaudette is showing more and more that he is closer to being NHL ready."

I posted this on another thread and I am sorry to say but "Petey and Boes" play about as aggressive as "Hank and Dank". Boes has chemistry with Bo and this would keep all the lines with bigger, aggressive players. We are still playing the "finesse" type play when we should be matching our opponents with the same intensity and aggression. We are basically getting out muscled like we did with Boston in 2011.

Ferlund does look like he is not 100% and this may have an effect on our level of "push back". Roussel will help as well and probably Motte.

Petey and Boes are getting nullified so far and this is eventually going to wear on their confidence. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Edited by EdgarM
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Had to miss the game, was at a concert. I PVRd it though, is it worth watching? No goals, 0 for 6 on the PP. On paper, I think this team should be scoring in bunches and physically dominating other teams. Season hasn't started out that way. Is it a coaching issue? 

Only the 3rd period. Watch the first two if you're having trouble falling asleep! 

• Like 1