The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Apology

Rate this topic

HKSR

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Mixed post:

Glad we traded for him, and I have no problem with the fact that we traded Schneider, but I still think that at the time, we should have gotten more back than just the pick that became Bo Horvat. We had a goalie that was already proven in the NHL who was showing signs of dominance and 29 teams that were interested in him. Horvat at the time was a promising prospect who hadn't shown that he could do anything outside of Junior.

Really happy that we have Horvat, but we should have gotten more at the time. We took a disproportionate percentage of risk in the trade at the time.

Really looking forward to the Bo Horvat led version of this team for the next few years, he deserves the C

Looking at recent goalie deals that were similar and you can see we got a very good return. Talbot netted NYR a 2nd, 3rd and 7th (but NYR gave a 7th back, so just the two picks). Grubauer got a 2nd, but they Colorado had to take a cap dump in return as well. Both guys had good numbers as a backup behind strong teams and Schneider was in a similar situation.

We got a 3rd and 7th for Eddie Lack. Getting a known top 10 pick for what at the time was a backup (we did have Luongo still and were hoping to reconcile) is quite a return.

In hindsight, Schneider was probably the best goalie of all mentioned here (although the jury is still up on Grubauer), which makes sense why he would net the highest return. If we are looking at hindsight though then the acquisition of Horvat is now the captain of our team which makes the deal even more incredible.

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

The success or lack of success of Bo really doesn't matter in evaluating the return for Schneider.  '

The return was a first round pick, and a fairly high one at that.  This was also generally looked at as in insufficient return for a goalie as good and developed as Schneider was at the time.

It was still overall a poor return but has worked out very well for us.

No. It wasnt. Stop trying to make your opinion fact.

9th OA was the highest pick EVER traded for a goalie

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Well Dryden was traded for a 12th and 18th overall...big mistake by the Bruins.  Oh and Roloson traded for a 17th overall and a 3rd to EDM - turned out a good thing for them too as they needed it for their run with Pronger.  Typically big goalie deals involve a goalie back the other way (younger) and a player and pick depending on how good they are ...

Edited by IBatch

i find these historical discussions somewhat fascinating

so many strong opinions out there

schneider was on a good contract at the time

there were also strong credible rumors the oilers offered more for him

but the nucks wanted to trade him out of the conference

i felt at the time that a salary dump by the nucks should have been part of that trade

since the oilers offer was apparently better and could have been leveraged for a bit more from nj i thought

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'm sure there were many of us, but I have no problems publicly admitting I was so wrong when Schneider was traded and we drafted Horvat ahead of Nichushkin.  I was pretty angry when that happened.  So glad we drafted the right guy... and now he's our Captain! 

Sorry Bo. 

Carry on with what you're doing and take us to the promised land!  Bring home a Stanley Cup for us!!

Go Canucks Go !!!

I feel by time our core is in their prime and dominating the league, that Bettman will be retired. As a direct result I think a Canadian team winning the cup again may be a realistic possibility.

Well done HKSR.

That day was a pivotal one with the plug being pulled on the 2011 team, but then the drain was clogged again with my wife's hair!!  

From that moment on, the rebuild/retool/renovation or remodeling kinda almost maybe started.  It should have started then, but Ep40 and Hughes and co. will redeem this club.  

Lots of angst and from a lot of posters that never owned up to it later.  

So how about Nick!!  So glad we took BO!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i find these historical discussions somewhat fascinating

so many strong opinions out there

schneider was on a good contract at the time

there were also strong credible rumors the oilers offered more for him

but the nucks wanted to trade him out of the conference

i felt at the time that a salary dump by the nucks should have been part of that trade

since the oilers offer was apparently better and could have been leveraged for a bit more from nj i thought

There was also the significant fact that Kesler nailed Schneiders wife, allegedly

I never really had regrets over the pick. Bo was the best forward available. Loved his physicality. Esp over Nishkin

Luongo painted us into a corner on this one. Overall it's finally working out well with the faltering Schneider. Remember those early cramps he had? Bo is long term and going to be a great Cap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I never really had regrets over the pick. Bo was the best forward available. Loved his physicality. Esp over Nishkin

Luongo painted us into a corner on this one. Overall it's finally working out well with the faltering Schneider. Remember those early cramps he had? Bo is long term and going to be a great Cap.

Interestingly Horvat was still the 5th BPA by the time Vancouver had their turn. It had me worried but the commentators seemed to be very high on him so I wasn't that worried after. 

I am still wondering which team had Horvat at #4 at that draft year.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I need to apologize too.  I was really wanting Matt Tkapuke, and when we drafted OJ instead, I too got super angry and even (wasted) threw my scotch glass at the TV.  

I was so wrong, and now humbly apologize to my TV.  

Yeah, I remember that draft Alf.  That's when they used to start at 9 am PST.  Going when he did (was it #9 overall?), Bo would have been drafted by us at approximately 10 am.  Considering that you were already 'wasted' by then, exactly what time did you start the scotch drinking that morning??:lol:

19 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

Im sorry to coach AV.. who is allways forgotten.. back to back presidents trophies then fired.. Then wins the presidents trophy with the rangers next year..

Best coach weve ever had

Ridiculous that he got fired over Gillis... That being said, Alain Vingeault got out coached in 2011, and also in 2013, when he was fired.

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Ridiculous that he got fired over Gillis... That being said, Alain Vingeault got out coached in 2011, and also in 2013, when he was fired.

.. out coached? we got beat up litterally.. not out coached.. Mason Raymond got his back broken on a non play and no penalty .. that series was a travesty

of course it sucks Horton got his career ended by Rome also ..

Edited by TheNewGM

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

AV was a coach who rarely made adjustments on the fly.  He had a system that worked most of the time with the player he had.  

He was the 'Sex Panther' of coaches, 60% of the time it works 100% of the time.  The other 40% of the time it stinks.  

The SCF he got shown up yet again.  The hawks showed us up 2-3 times.  

Love AV's pressers and his humor.  He is a great coach, but his weakness became the teams weakness.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 2

I’ll also have to admit to having copious amounts of man porridge on my face these days.   

I was quite startled and disappointed by what I perceived to be a lack of return for Schneider.

All of a sudden, our so-called “meager returns,” for both Schneider and Luongo (Horvat and Markstrom) aren’t really all that meager.

10 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Not even stating this as my opinion much less as a fact. 

I am just restating what the consensus was at that time.

The general consensus at the time was "is that it?" when the trade went down.

Now, FYI my opinion is that it was not enough at the time but I am thrilled with the end result.