The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Apology

Rate this topic

HKSR

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm sure there were many of us, but I have no problems publicly admitting I was so wrong when Schneider was traded and we drafted Horvat ahead of Nichushkin.  I was pretty angry when that happened.  So glad we drafted the right guy... and now he's our Captain! 

Sorry Bo. 

Carry on with what you're doing and take us to the promised land!  Bring home a Stanley Cup for us!!

Go Canucks Go !!!

But Nichuskin is going to be the next Malkin

• Haha 4

I often wonder what Gillis could've done to re-tool this team if he was allowed to trade Kesler.  I feel bad for Gillis, yeah he was a bit arrogant but he got screwed over by both the league and ownership.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Mixed post:

Glad we traded for him, and I have no problem with the fact that we traded Schneider, but I still think that at the time, we should have gotten more back than just the pick that became Bo Horvat. We had a goalie that was already proven in the NHL who was showing signs of dominance and 29 teams that were interested in him. Horvat at the time was a promising prospect who hadn't shown that he could do anything outside of Junior.

Really happy that we have Horvat, but we should have gotten more at the time. We took a disproportionate percentage of risk in the trade at the time.

Really looking forward to the Bo Horvat led version of this team for the next few years, he deserves the C

We can 'should have' the return, but on the other hand, the return was exceptional *for a goaltender* - the reality is that the market for goaltenders was and has been traditionally deflated - and pretty much remains so (right or wrong in an actual vs market value sense, that is and has been the reality).  There are not many goaltenders that have been dealt for a top 10 pick - let alone 'more'.

The 'hadn't shown that he could do anything outside of junior' applies to literally every prospect that has never played outside of junior - but the 'safeness' of those players is entirely relative, and he was as 'safe'/sure a pick as they come (guys with that kind of two-way game at the junior level rarely 'bust' in the ways many others do).

Lastly - that was a pretty solid draft - Ristolainen, Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm, Jones, Barkov, McKinnon going before him - so I think the perception of the value of a 9th overall might have been a bit deflated, but in context, not so much.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Mixed post:

Glad we traded for him, and I have no problem with the fact that we traded Schneider, but I still think that at the time, we should have gotten more back than just the pick that became Bo Horvat. We had a goalie that was already proven in the NHL who was showing signs of dominance and 29 teams that were interested in him. Horvat at the time was a promising prospect who hadn't shown that he could do anything outside of Junior.

Really happy that we have Horvat, but we should have gotten more at the time. We took a disproportionate percentage of risk in the trade at the time.

Really looking forward to the Bo Horvat led version of this team for the next few years, he deserves the C

if that was true the team would have got more than they did.

it's called market value. the team got what they could. I think mike gillis and laurence gilman, with their decades of negotiation experience, have a bit more of a clue than you. 

• Upvote 3

I watched McJeebus games when he was in the CHL.

He play against Bo's team a few times on nationally broadcast games.

Bo was a man to be reckoned with, even back then.

When the trade was made at the draft, and Bo was still available, I cheered heh.

Its been a pleasure seeing him grow into the consensus captain of the team.

Bo Canucks Bo!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

if that was true the team would have got more than they did.

it's called market value. the team got what they could. I think mike gillis and laurence gilman, with their decades of negotiation experience, have a bit more of a clue than you. 

I don't pretend to have any specific knowledge of assessing value, but at the time, based on initial projections being made for the draft, we had the known commodity, but we also got ourselves backed into a corner on needing to move a goalie.

Again, I'm really happy with how this trade turned out, but felt at the time we should have gotten an extra pick, 3rd or 4th in the next years draft, or at least a B level prospect.

Its only me expressing my opinion, but known commodity vs complete gamble, think at the time we should have been able to get a little more return. That's not to say that it didn't turn out fair, just that we took more risk at the time.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't pretend to have any specific knowledge of assessing value, but at the time, based on initial projections being made for the draft, we had the known commodity, but we also got ourselves backed into a corner on needing to move a goalie.

Again, I'm really happy with how this trade turned out, but felt at the time we should have gotten an extra pick, 3rd or 4th in the next years draft, or at least a B level prospect.

Its only me expressing my opinion, but known commodity vs complete gamble, think at the time we should have been able to get a little more return. That's not to say that it didn't turn out fair, just that we took more risk at the time.

it's just that your assessment of value is completely arbitrary. market value is dictated exclusively by what someone is willing to pay. 

• Cheers 1

When the trade happened?

My comment was I was happy we managed to get something done. "Good under the circumstances, needed to be done'' or something along those lines. I had wanted to trade Lou, would have preferred to keep Scheids. But it was clear that wasn't working out. 

• Cheers 1