The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Apology

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not even stating this as my opinion much less as a fact. 

I am just restating what the consensus was at that time.

The general consensus at the time was "is that it?" when the trade went down.

Now, FYI my opinion is that it was not enough at the time but I am thrilled with the end result.

General consensus on CDC (especially initial reaction to anything) is too often wrong.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

The trade was for a pick....  can’t see how the outcome of the pick makes a difference in analyzing the original trade...

it could have been a player like Jordan Schroeder or Patrick white.   

Luck plays a role in making a right pick

It makes a great deal of difference in analyzing the original trade. Lol. If you bought stock and the value of the company goes up the price of the stock goes up. It wouldn’t stay the same price.

Yes some luck goes into the draft. Less so the earlier in the draft you pick. But it’s not pure luck. Otherwise they wouldn’t spend millions on scouting.

Are you trying to be contrarian to be cool? Or were you a hater of the trade and don’t wanna admit it became a massive win for the team? 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

The trade was for a pick....  can’t see how the outcome of the pick makes a difference in analyzing the original trade...

it could have been a player like Jordan Schroeder or Patrick white.   

Luck plays a role in making a right pick

for all intents and purposes, the trade was player for player, not player for pick. the trade was made immediately prior to the selection, the canucks knew exactly who they would pick, and the trade wouldn't have happened if horvat had already been taken. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I need to apologize too.  I was really wanting Matt Tkapuke, and when we drafted OJ instead, I too got super angry and even (wasted) threw my scotch glass at the TV.  

I was so wrong, and now humbly apologize to my TV.  

GASP! Alcohol abuse!

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Mixed post:

Glad we traded for him, and I have no problem with the fact that we traded Schneider, but I still think that at the time, we should have gotten more back than just the pick that became Bo Horvat. We had a goalie that was already proven in the NHL who was showing signs of dominance and 29 teams that were interested in him. Horvat at the time was a promising prospect who hadn't shown that he could do anything outside of Junior.

Really happy that we have Horvat, but we should have gotten more at the time. We took a disproportionate percentage of risk in the trade at the time.

Really looking forward to the Bo Horvat led version of this team for the next few years, he deserves the C

That was my issue with the whole thing as well. Somebody like Schneider could have netted a top 5 pick. He was already slated to be an elite goaltender. At the time he had no injuries to worry about, he had stolen the job from Luongo and was stealing games in net. Every team wanted him on there, he had shades of Price in him. We won the trade because he has issues with his hips. A healthy Corey Schneider was absolutely a top 5 goalie in the league. It's a shame he just doesn't have the mobility he used to. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

General consensus on CDC (especially initial reaction to anything) is too often wrong.

Putting a lot of words in my mouth.  Never said anything about CDC's reaction.

Don't believe there is ever a consensus reaction on this site. 

If we win the Stanley Cup someone will be criticizing how Jake carried it.

But, general consensus of the press covering the draft that year, the written sports sites and the other GMs that were asked were that they were surprised how little Gillis got for Schneider.  Now this also lined up with the majority opinion on CDC but again, I don't place and credence on that.

Your initial criticism is that I stated my opinion as fact, I didn't so you keep putting words in my mouth.

Guess what, you are entitled to your opinion and I don't agree with it.  Past that I really don't care.

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not even stating this as my opinion much less as a fact. 

I am just restating what the consensus was at that time.

The general consensus at the time was "is that it?" when the trade went down.

Now, FYI my opinion is that it was not enough at the time but I am thrilled with the end result.

It was far from the general consensus, just like how there was no consensus on Horvat vs Nich. A lot of people were pretty happy with the return and pick... I think people were just at the point where MG could do no right.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Putting a lot of words in my mouth.  Never said anything about CDC's reaction.

Don't believe there is ever a consensus reaction on this site. 

If we win the Stanley Cup someone will be criticizing how Jake carried it.

But, general consensus of the press covering the draft that year, the written sports sites and the other GMs that were asked were that they were surprised how little Gillis got for Schneider.  Now this also lined up with the majority opinion on CDC but again, I don't place and credence on that.

Your initial criticism is that I stated my opinion as fact, I didn't so you keep putting words in my mouth.

Guess what, you are entitled to your opinion and I don't agree with it.  Past that I really don't care.

That wasn't me.

The media is often wrong as well. The only reason why anyone thinks we could've gotten more in the deal is based on the speculation that Edmonton offered more (but we weren't going to trade him to a divisional rival, so it's moot).

I made a post earlier for what deals were made for solid young backups on strong teams and we got by far the most value. Of course some would've been in hindsight and wouldn't have known then, but it doesn't mean that opinion then was right and it was demonstrated later that they were wrong in their valuation. There isn't a big market for goaltending, so it's not like there was some major bidding war for his services either.

• Cheers 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, HockeyHarry said:

That was the Day, interesting story, behind that....I remember it was a Friday, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three, medium brown. It was Just like the time I caught the ferry over to Vancouver Island . I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Nanaimo , which is what they called Campbell River in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

I think you're my favourite poster.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:58 PM, HKSR said:

I'm sure there were many of us, but I have no problems publicly admitting I was so wrong when Schneider was traded and we drafted Horvat ahead of Nichushkin.  I was pretty angry when that happened.  So glad we drafted the right guy... and now he's our Captain! 

Sorry Bo. 

Carry on with what you're doing and take us to the promised land!  Bring home a Stanley Cup for us!!

Go Canucks Go !!!

I didn't mind that Snide's got moved, Luongo was still a really good goalie and Lack looked pretty good at the time.

I figured this was part of a Gillis rebuild/retool and Horvat was a replacement for Kesler with the team floundering for a couple of years to get the last guaranteed draft spot in the McDavid draft. Guaranteed a single position drop, so DFL = #2.

I figured that Gillis would take the rumored Larkin and follow up with Eichel or McDavid the following year pretty much replacing the Sedins and Kesler.

Trading Luongo AND Snides pretty much guaranteed a very low finish in the standings without obvious tanking or dismantling of the majority of the veterans. The re-tooling would be 3 years and the Sedins would still be pertinent as 2 line players. Essentially the major re=tooling would be finished after the 2017 draft. The team had the BEST and most experienced coach for training young players in the NHL, would have cap harmony and Gillis' track record of signing the best FA defense men available and great contract strategy.

Ya Luongo BUT the rules changed 2 years AFTER the deal and Detroit, Minnesota, Predators and others all had the same or worse deals.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, HockeyHarry said:

That was the Day, interesting story, behind that....I remember it was a Friday, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three, medium brown. It was Just like the time I caught the ferry over to Vancouver Island . I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Nanaimo , which is what they called Campbell River in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

WTF. That is some weird but seriously funny sh*t Harry. Those were the days my friend.

16 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

It makes a great deal of difference in analyzing the original trade. Lol. If you bought stock and the value of the company goes up the price of the stock goes up. It wouldn’t stay the same price.

Yes some luck goes into the draft. Less so the earlier in the draft you pick. But it’s not pure luck. Otherwise they wouldn’t spend millions on scouting.

Are you trying to be contrarian to be cool? Or were you a hater of the trade and don’t wanna admit it became a massive win for the team? 

Lol I’m not that invested in it.  Settle down haha

just pointing out the logic of trading for a pick.   Most at 8 make it... but it was a risk.    We should have got more at the time but whatever.

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

WTF. That is some weird but seriously funny sh*t Harry. Those were the days my friend.

It’s actually a Quote with some town names changed from the Genius Grampa Abe S.

and of course it’s fun to rumble and also too see who has a sense of humor and who doesn’t. 

i know there’s some Grampa Abe fans who got it.

2BF9FB3C-EF5B-4D27-9D54-735470111EAF.png

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, tas said:

for all intents and purposes, the trade was player for player, not player for pick. the trade was made immediately prior to the selection, the canucks knew exactly who they would pick, and the trade wouldn't have happened if horvat had already been taken. 

A proven player for an unproven one...

logic.   

Why is it it so hard to see?

15 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That was my issue with the whole thing as well. Somebody like Schneider could have netted a top 5 pick. He was already slated to be an elite goaltender. At the time he had no injuries to worry about, he had stolen the job from Luongo and was stealing games in net. Every team wanted him on there, he had shades of Price in him. We won the trade because he has issues with his hips. A healthy Corey Schneider was absolutely a top 5 goalie in the league. It's a shame he just doesn't have the mobility he used to. 

He was not worth a top 5 pick. No goalie is... Goalies don't have high trade value usually. It takes a special goalie to get anything better than a late first.