The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler does not have powerplay IQ

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Edler   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Im not even going to look at the advanced stats , I am just going to suggest that Edler is a horrible choice on the powerplay.  Yes I realize he has gotten a few PP goals , and seing as he has played on the Canucks since moses wrote the ten commandments,  I will assume he deceptively has some success there. I just wish one of those commandments included " thow shalt not shoot into shinpads when you have a wide open winger'.

I am just going to say that nobody can wreck a perfectly good pair of shin pads with open wingers like  Alexander Edler.

Personally,  my television set is in the most danger of ending up on the front lawn when elder is on the powerplay then any other time during a canucks broadcast. How this coaching staff has not seen what everyone with eyesight has seen is beyond me. 

PETTERSSON IS OPEN U DUNCE !!!

Anyways,  my question is really more of a curiosity if I am the only one on earth that thinks Alexander Edler should be nowhere near a first powerplay unit ? 

Thoughts ? 

My thought is that EP is often NOT OPEN. And I have watched every single minute of every game this year. 

One of the earlier games this season, I found him shooting through two screens, Bo and Miller, which is not a bad decision instead of passing it over to EP. 

His fault in that play was not getting it through the traffic. It wasn't for not getting it over to EP. 

But most often, EP is not open. Or their PKer on that side always waiting to jump. 

What Huggy does well is that he is shifty and mobile so PKers have a hard time collapsing onto the sides b/c they have to respect Huggy's new options that open up as he skates/ fakes laterally. 

That gives more room/ chance for EP to receive the puck.

Edler, on the other hand, is usually fixated at the top of umbrella so it's easy for PKers to predict and collapse the side board options. 

They tend to collapse onto EP's side readily, forcing Edler to go with Boeser's side almost always. 

If Edler were to force that pass to EP while they are ready to collapse, that leaves EP in very vulnerable position as soon as he receives the puck. 

I understand EP could probably dangle his way out of one or two but what if not? Is it worth choosing that option? 

I mean.. PP could definitely be better with Huggy and all.

He's definitely not our best option in PP1 but can't really say he doesnt do certain things b/c he is too dumb to see the play. 

Maybe Myers or even Stetch deserves a try during practice. See how that goes. We should save Tanev for more defensive roles. He seems to flourish with less minutes/ abuse. 

• Upvote 1

I would love to see a 4 forward PP

Brock Bo Pete

Hughes Miller 

Miller on the back end but could cycle low and Bo up high depending on how the draw is won in the offensive zone.  Both are good at tip in deflecting shots and Miller has one hell of a shot release as seen against LA the other game. I also think Miller has higher IQ for the role. 

IT seems or number one PP is on for like 90 seconds of the 120 we get. So let’s all stop pretending we have a second unit.

Edited by Bertorama

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

guy had 49 points as a #1 PP D in his prime. He does have PP IQ.

At this stage in his career however he's better suited as a 2nd PP option (which he now is). I'd be interested in seeing Myers get a shot, but I don't think Edler is as bad as others think. 

Yes , and in his prime , he was playing with two hall of fame players that were notorious for padding players stats around them . I wonder what his offensive numbers would have been on an average team. Anyways , not saying I'm not an edler fan at all, just not a fan of how he is being used . 

Edited by cuporbust

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Stetcher gets the least ice time every night, it might work having him fill in on the PP to balance out the minutes and save our top pairing for defending the other teams top line.

Stetcher is the closest thing we have to Hughes...I think he should get a shot at PP1 as well...Edler is fine for PP2 but only because he has learned how to miss the net to get his shot past the first guy whereas up to the beginning of last year he was very prone to having it blocked and having no chance of stopping a breakaway or catching up...

I also think Meyer's should get a shot at PP1 if Stetcher doesn't...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Thoughts ? 

Edler is 16th overall in the league right now with points....out of 241 d men.

He has had 173 power play points in his career.

Is he the best PP d man in the league?  No.  Hughes has shown he is excellent.

It is clear that after Hughes, Edler is the Canucks 2nd best PP option.  Those people saying he can't play on the power play have no idea what they are talking about and it is kind of embarrassing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Hughes is definitely better, but Edler has an offensive mind for playmaking that none of our d-men other than Hughes have. His passes are often seeing-eye on the PP and his wrist shots can be really accurate somtimes, leading to great tip-in opportunities for teammates.

I think the big reason Eddie is being attacked for his PP play is two-fold:

1. He constantly employs the drop pass despite it's mild success. Brown may be more to blame for this than Edler.

2. He's not as good as Hughes. Keep in mind that Hughes is not your average PP d-man. He moves the puck around far better than most and it's unfair to compare Edler to him as the "average" PP defenseman.

Edler is fine on the PP, Hughes is amazing. The contrast makes Edler look worse than he is.

Stecher played on the pwoerplay with Willie here, but Green doesn't think Stecher is a good fit.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler is 16th overall in the league right now with points....out of 241 d men.

He has had 173 power play points in his career.

Is he the best PP d man in the league?  No.  Hughes has shown he is excellent.

It is clear that after Hughes, Edler is the Canucks 2nd best PP option.  Those people saying he can't play on the power play have no idea what they are talking about and it is kind of embarrassing.

Edlers a great D-Man. Some fans don’t deserve him honestly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Just think there are 22 people on here that say Edler is not a PP d-man :picard:

Not even on the second PP. c’mon guys cut out the hard ons for hating Edler. Cause that’s all it is.

I didn’t throw any hate at Edler in this thread just FYI. I threw out a not so new idea to try 4 forwards. 

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Yes , and in his prime , he was playing with two hall of fame players that were notorious for padding players stats around them . I wonder what his offensive numbers would have been on an average team. Anyways , not saying I'm not an edler fan at all, just not a fan of how he is being used . 

Ya that's a fair point. The twins made Ehrhoff a 50 pt dman, but you gotta have talent & smarts to excell with players like that. It's what made Burr so successful & Boeser now with Petey even.

Hes above average as far as I'm concerned. I actually like how hes being used now that we have Hughes. Elders a good matchup D, good on the PK, not as much offensively. Keep Hughes on the 1st unit & give edler the tough defensive assignments. It's a great situation for Quinn.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bertorama said:

I didn’t throw any hate at Edler in this thread just FYI. I threw out a not so new idea to try 4 forwards. 

I don’t mind the poll. But the headline is not right. And fans feed on this, the ones that don’t think he’s a great dman and there are a fair share out there. He’s put up points on the PP in the past and will continue to do so. Sure he’s not the best PP quarterback. We have one in Hughes now. But there no reason why he shouldn’t be on the second PP unit with a healthy Hughes. Edler would be on the PP somewhere on most of the teams in the league. Yes probably the second unit but that’s still on the PP. 

Btw did you see that breakaway pass to Virtanen tonight. Thought it was a hella of play. 

Haven’t we been using 4 forwards on the first unit all year?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1