The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler does not have powerplay IQ

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Edler   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, khay said:

1. No.

2. 2nd.

3. Edler.

Sadly, no one is better than him other than Hughes. Maybe one day when Olli makes the team, he will replace Edler on the 2nd PP.

Myers deserves a look too.  Did fine with limited duties in WNP - his shot finds the back of the net twice as often as Edlers does too....career shooting percentage.   

On 11/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, cuporbust said:

Yes , and in his prime , he was playing with two hall of fame players that were notorious for padding players stats around them . I wonder what his offensive numbers would have been on an average team. Anyways , not saying I'm not an edler fan at all, just not a fan of how he is being used . 

Would have been .6 ppg, or, in 56 games would have 10 goals and 24 assists.

That was last year, sans Sedins, on a below average team

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t understand why we paid several million a year for Myers, and he’s not on pp1 when Hughes is not there. Was it not because he was an offensive force? Was there not concerns about his ability to defend? So we spent the bucks in order to get the man to generate points, so play him where he can get points.

I have to agree on all that’s been said about Eddie. Love the guy, he’s a great defenseman. But not on the PP. The drop passes; there is nothing wrong with the drop pass as a play, as long you pay attention when and to whom you’re dropping it to. Eddie’s an adventure, every time. Hughes has enough on the ball to know when to do it, when to carry it, when to pass it. And yes, Eddie’s ability to hit the onrushing man with his shot is matched by no one.

Get him off both PPs. Have him play the solid minutes he does at everything else, where he’s great. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Cargo said:

I don’t understand why we paid several million a year for Myers, and he’s not on pp1 when Hughes is not there. Was it not because he was an offensive force? Was there not concerns about his ability to defend? So we spent the bucks in order to get the man to generate points, so play him where he can get points.

I have to agree on all that’s been said about Eddie. Love the guy, he’s a great defenseman. But not on the PP. The drop passes; there is nothing wrong with the drop pass as a play, as long you pay attention when and to whom you’re dropping it to. Eddie’s an adventure, every time. Hughes has enough on the ball to know when to do it, when to carry it, when to pass it. And yes, Eddie’s ability to hit the onrushing man with his shot is matched by no one.

Get him off both PPs. Have him play the solid minutes he does at everything else, where he’s great. 

Myers has been great. I can't imagine what you are complaining about.

Oh yeah, you're right. He should obviously be on the PP over Eddie. Way more talented.

Edited by Gawdzukes

Elder is good in PP due to:

Experience player.

Shot is quite good.

Elder is not good in PP due to:

Slow.

Easy to predict.

After considering all the above, I would like to reduce the possibility of short hand goals given, I would like to try Stretch, who is more fast moving, higher speed.

On November 1, 2019 at 11:06 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

And Virtanen is also a very low IQ player. 

I think I’ve seen enough of both of these guys, but also know they’re not going anywhere.

I’d seriously consider trading both Tanev and Sutter right now.

They are both playing excellent... and they’re not injured.

There will never be a better time to trade them for full value. 

Too bad the team needs them as bad as they do. 

Most of your buddies here are just hating on Edler. Very smooth how you take the opportunity of an "I hate Edler" thread to show how you are an even more "realistic fan" by posting how you also hate Jake and Tanev and Sutter. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:03 PM, cuporbust said:

Im not even going to look at the advanced stats , I am just going to suggest that Edler is a horrible choice on the powerplay.  Yes I realize he has gotten a few PP goals , and seing as he has played on the Canucks since moses wrote the ten commandments,  I will assume he deceptively has some success there. I just wish one of those commandments included " thow shalt not shoot into shinpads when you have a wide open winger'.

I am just going to say that nobody can wreck a perfectly good pair of shin pads with open wingers like  Alexander Edler.

Personally,  my television set is in the most danger of ending up on the front lawn when elder is on the powerplay then any other time during a canucks broadcast. How this coaching staff has not seen what everyone with eyesight has seen is beyond me. 

PETTERSSON IS OPEN U DUNCE !!!

Anyways,  my question is really more of a curiosity if I am the only one on earth that thinks Alexander Edler should be nowhere near a first powerplay unit ? 

Thoughts ? 

My thoughts are:

If you aren't going to do your homework regarding advanced stats, and ignore the power play goals and points he does get; then what the heck is the point of asking for people's thoughts, which you will most likely ignore because they don't match yours?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Most of your buddies here are just hating on Edler. Very smooth how you take the opportunity of an "I hate Edler" thread to show how you are an even more "realistic fan" by posting how you also hate Jake and Tanev and Sutter. 

84C41567-FACD-4468-B13F-39FAA9A6C691.gif.b0e4b476c79a9997e59958235cf604ca.gif

Troll someone who cares, buddy. 

Go away with that level of discussion and non-value. 

Your posts neither interest nor challenge me as far as discussing hockey or the Canucks roster goes. I’m not interested in playing insult-tag with you on here. 

There is a saying about those who talk about people rather than ideas, etc. 

Hope OP isn't offended by this... Tbh I didn't even read the thread but I've seen it hovering for days now and it makes me ashamed to be a Canucks fan. 

But this has to be the most garbage thread title I've ever seen. why is it going on and why are we feeding it? 

Let's spread negativity and bash our most loyal player? Oh let's pretend we're nhl coaches and know he doesn't belong on the PP from behind our computer screen? 

Leave it to Canucks fans to still bash our loyal #1 dman while we're dominating game after game and taking no prisoners. 

Edler is a PP dman on 31 teams in the NHL. We're blessed to have him whether it's on the first or second unit 

Man you'd think a guy leaves 7 mill AAV over 6 years on the table and takes a huge discount to stay home at 2 years 6 mill and people still don't respect him. 

Edited by apollo
  • Thanks 3
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Hope OP isn't offended by this... Tbh I didn't even read the thread but I've seen it hovering for days now and it makes me ashamed to be a Canucks fan. 

But this has to be the most garbage thread title I've ever seen. Really why is it going on and why are we feeding it? 

Let's spread negativity and bash our most loyal player? Oh let's pretend we're nhl coaches and know he doesn't belong on the PP from behind our computer screen? 

Leave it to Canucks fans to still bash our loyal #1 dman while we're dominating game after game and taking no prisoners. 

Edler is a PP dman on 31 teams in the NHL. We're blessed to have him whether it's on the first or second unit 

Man you'd think a guy leaves 7 mill AAV over 6 years on the table and takes a huge discount to stay home at 2 years 6 mill and people still don't respect him. 

These threads are pretty ridiculous, but sadly there seems to be an unending demand for them from the "realistic fans" who compete to see who can hate on the most members of the Canucks organization. In this thread 189 appears to be the winner, as he wants to get rid of not just Edler, but also Virtanen, Sutter and Tanev.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Retroactive loyalty.  Its a "problem" with all teams. Because he's such a veteran on this team. Isn't Tanev the only other player left that played on the 2011 SCF?  I don't know how much of a disturbance in the dressing room it would be to switch to a brand newcomer Myers, or the smaller 6th D like Stecher. It's natural for any team to use their veterans more. But there comes a time when management must move on if there are better options. Or if Eddie is slowing down.

I'm always holding my breath whenever he is bringing the puck out of the D zone on the PP.  Because we all know he's going to use the drop pass. No matter if Petey or Brock or anyone is open on the blue line or not. And so does every other team know his intent.  There have been a couple of very close calls when Edler just seems determined to do the back pass no matter how dangerous, ie an opposition player is behind the play.  Edler seems to run on established plans or strategy, not much spontaneous creativity. Which Hughes excels at.  I think his not passing to Petey or Brock sometimes is because of his hesitation and telegraphing where by the time he decides, they are covered again.  Sometimes it seems like just when the PP is moving around and unpredictable, Eddie gets it back to order, slows it down, holds the puck long enough to allow the opposition to get back into position. Its almost like he feels more comfortable when all unpredictably is removed.  Whenever Hughes is in charge, the puck is always moving, players are always moving too, wearing out the D. 

21 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Retroactive loyalty.  Its a "problem" with all teams. Because he's such a veteran on this team. Isn't Tanev the only other player left that played on the 2011 SCF?  I don't know how much of a disturbance in the dressing room it would be to switch to a brand newcomer Myers, or the smaller 6th D like Stecher. It's natural for any team to use their veterans more. But there comes a time when management must move on if there are better options. Or if Eddie is slowing down.

I'm always holding my breath whenever he is bringing the puck out of the D zone on the PP.  Because we all know he's going to use the drop pass. No matter if Petey or Brock or anyone is open on the blue line or not. And so does every other team know his intent.  There have been a couple of very close calls when Edler just seems determined to do the back pass no matter how dangerous, ie an opposition player is behind the play.  Edler seems to run on established plans or strategy, not much spontaneous creativity. Which Hughes excels at.  I think his not passing to Petey or Brock sometimes is because of his hesitation and telegraphing where by the time he decides, they are covered again.  Sometimes it seems like just when the PP is moving around and unpredictable, Eddie gets it back to order, slows it down, holds the puck long enough to allow the opposition to get back into position. Its almost like he feels more comfortable when all unpredictably is removed.  Whenever Hughes is in charge, the puck is always moving, players are always moving too, wearing out the D. 

Let's say that is the case and your are completely right (I agree with some of your points) 

Wouldn't it be better to celebrate Quinn and say "we have an amazing player and we love him on our power play" or just hope Quinn gets on the top unit more regularly? Why not focus on the great parts of Quinns game rather than bashing edler?! It boggles my mind. 

Why does it have to be bring down one guy go bring up another guy? 

Especially when that guy has been so loyal and is likely to end up retiring as the best Canucks dman by a far margin. With all due respect to the legends before him: ohlund, slammin sami, jovocop 

This exact same bs that brewed between our fan base during the Luongo / Cory Era. Fan base took sides, negative energy started brewing and we all saw how that panned out. 

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Because we all know he's going to use the drop pass. No matter if Petey or Brock or anyone is open on the blue line or not. And so does every other team know his intent. 

Dropping the puck back on the PP is a team problem. Almost every Canuck uses that drop pass, even Quinn in the last game he played; which almost resulted in a turnover given the opposing player between him an the intended pass recipient.

The drop pass was "innovative" when first used but is so predictable now, I wish they would stop doing it.

• Upvote 1