The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

To me it felt like a playoff game. 

No room, active sticks, tight to the points, calculated shots, not many going wide and back out of the zone, heavy, super goaltending, big PKs... it was a fun game and a masterful road win by one of the best... and the Canucks were right their until the very end. 

What more can we ask for as this stage of the roster cycle? 

Firkland, that’s about it. 

Oh ya man, the only really downside to us was a bit of a lack of experience, coupled with kid bodies (Not yet man bodies) a couple more years for these guys and we will be unstoppable I think. We are to the point now, that we could make a deep run if the playoffs started tomorrow. We will see what the season brings I guess, don't want to be too over the top enthusiastic, but as far as losses go, that one didn't really hurt did it?

Don't forget about Motte also, I think he would have put us over the top.

"Schaller - Beagle - Motte, the top line of 4th lines!" haha awesome...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To me it felt like a playoff game. 

No room, active sticks, tight to the points, calculated shots, not many going wide and back out of the zone, heavy, super goaltending, big PKs... it was a fun game and a masterful road win by one of the best... and the Canucks were right their until the very end. 

What more can we ask for as this stage of the roster cycle? 

Firkland, that’s about it. 

Green hasn't quite nailed down the bottom 6 yet - I think once Roussel is back and we get a static 3rd line of Roussel-Sutter-Leivo we'll be a true 4 line team. 

Fun to watch tho, they can hang with the Blues, thats quite the accomplishment. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Green hasn't quite nailed down the bottom 6 yet - I think once Roussel is back and we get a static 3rd line of Roussel-Sutter-Leivo we'll be a true 4 line team. 

Fun to watch tho, they can hang with the Blues, thats quite the accomplishment. 

Love me some Roussel!

• Cheers 4

18 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

So this was the perfect 1970's game. One ref, lots of penalties let go. Hard play, and an embarrassing overtime loss. Couldn't have made this more accurate and true to form.:sadno:

On a fun note, that had a playoff feel at times. In November. I think the Blues had a clue who they were up against. I think we are going to be a very very good team.

This, I was feeling the same watching the intensity and compete both teams brought.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

And that's why you are here....rather than playing pro hockey.

I could have been an actor - but wound up here.

Right....because watching 3 players take their time before shooting on you is exactly what professional play and sportsmanship is all about.  SMH.

So it was "professional" of Markstrom to smash his stick?   Nope.  

I am here because I am a fan - I was no where near being able to play Professional hockey - ever.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to say to someone "that's why you are here....rather than playing pro hockey."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m going to make this one last comment on it, especially since there appears to be little appetite for it on here - Marky has broken his stick over blown-coverage plays (odd man rush), deflections, screens and whatever else in the past... I shouldn’t have to point out as we were all there the past few seasons and keeping score. 

This wasn't an isolated incident, is all, and if he’s mad at himself, how babyish anyways.

It was a 3-0 ffs, is that the kind of emotion you want from him there? “Oh he’s such a competitor.” Thats no excuse and I’d be reining that stuff in as a coach or GM. 

Save the drama, which this guy has a history of. There were also some comments he made a few years ago to bring into this, but I’m not looking to dump on him, just the irrational stick smashing thing, unless it’s truly worthy of it, like when the ref wins the game or something like that happens. 

Like I said before, it would be cool if the Dmen out there could instead be the ones giving the humiliating, singling-out, death stare to their goalie on a botched play, rather than what is the norm of the goalie ensuring the building knows who made a boo boo. 

I like Marky, but his predictably emotional outbursts are unprofessional at best and “hates to lose” is a ridiculous reason to behave that way, unless you think that’s how leaders lead?

To each their own. I’d rather a goalie who isn’t throwing a tantrum because he couldn’t win a 3-0 play. Spare me the drama, Marky. 

Iam a goalie dad and when my son smashed his stick after getting scored on when he was in pee wee I told him do that again and your done playing the sport. I told him when  the other team sees that they see it  as weakness  and they will try to  get into your head with snow in the face,  slashing , etc . Aswell it shows a level of immaturity in my opinion . 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m going to make this one last comment on it, especially since there appears to be little appetite for it on here - Marky has broken his stick over blown-coverage plays (odd man rush), deflections, screens and whatever else in the past... I shouldn’t have to point out as we were all there the past few seasons and keeping score. 

This wasn't an isolated incident, is all, and if he’s mad at himself, how babyish anyways.

It was a 3-0 ffs, is that the kind of emotion you want from him there? “Oh he’s such a competitor.” Thats no excuse and I’d be reining that stuff in as a coach or GM. 

Save the drama, which this guy has a history of. There were also some comments he made a few years ago to bring into this, but I’m not looking to dump on him, just the irrational stick smashing thing, unless it’s truly worthy of it, like when the ref wins the game or something like that happens. 

Like I said before, it would be cool if the Dmen out there could instead be the ones giving the humiliating, singling-out, death stare to their goalie on a botched play, rather than what is the norm of the goalie ensuring the building knows who made a boo boo. 

I like Marky, but his predictably emotional outbursts are unprofessional at best and “hates to lose” is a ridiculous reason to behave that way, unless you think that’s how leaders lead?

To each their own. I’d rather a goalie who isn’t throwing a tantrum because he couldn’t win a 3-0 play. Spare me the drama, Marky. 

almost  every goalie in the league has showed emotion  like that, even "the best" . doesn't make them bad goalies, doesn't make them embarrassing, it makes them human!!!! Marky is a professional in all ways.   from what I have read on here and other sites no one has a problem with it!

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, falcons said:

Iam a goalie dad and when my son smashed his stick after getting scored on when he was in pee wee I told him do that again and your done playing the sport. I told him when  the other team sees that they see it  as weakness  and they will try to  get into your head with snow in the face,  slashing , etc . Aswell it shows a level of immaturity in my opinion . 

Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, falcons said:

There's a huge difference between smashing a stick on peewee when nothing really matters and smashing a stick on a botched-rush-turned 3 on 0 in OT of a game against the reigning SC champions where you're the only reason your team is even still in it and you basically just got the hockey equivalent of being executed by firing squad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

almost  every goalie in the league has showed emotion  like that, even "the best" . doesn't make them bad goalies, doesn't make them embarrassing, it makes them human!!!! Marky is a professional in all ways.   from what I have read on here and other sites no one has a problem with it!

Woah, careful... don’t tag me into something calling Marky a bad goalie. 

I pointed out a behaviour, not anything else. 

If you and others disagree, that’s great, I’m not offended, nor am I using these testimonials as a pseudo-stat for any reason to pause for reflection on my own perspective. I have my convictions! 

I’m glad that guys like Horvat aren’t throwing tantrums when they make a boo boo. One guy choosing to perform like that is enough for my preferences. 

I don't mind opposing views or rival opinions at all. I think it’s the best part of the forum, minus the timely news tidbits. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Timråfan said:I don't know Markys past... But in a game like this, emotions build up. 

He might think he should have saved the first goal. The Hughes equalize 

A lot of emotions right there. So when he's facing  3-0 and let in a goal it's testosteron flying. 

I use to talk about hockey versus goons and Marky let the steam out only after the game finished. Quite healthy to let the steam out instead of bringing it back into the dressing room. If he had slashed an opponent I would  agree with you. 

You’re not alone about disagreeing with me, a preoccupation of mine here. 

I stated my preference and gave my reasons. 

Collected a few confused faces along the way. 

I don’t think I’ll respond to anymore of these because it’s clogging up the thread.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Forget Myers missing the net, forget Marky not being sure what to do someone needs to be jumping off the left side of the bench as soon as they see the puck hit the boards. There’s a good chance Horvat is able to hurdle into the bench before whoever comes on for him early is involved in the play and jumping line changes early happens all the time in 3 on 3 hockey.