The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Forget Myers missing the net, forget Marky not being sure what to do someone needs to be jumping off the left side of the bench as soon as they see the puck hit the boards. There’s a good chance Horvat is able to hurdle into the bench before whoever comes on for him early is involved in the play and jumping line changes early happens all the time in 3 on 3 hockey. 

Or Jake not staying with the Rush and missing not one but two prime opportunities to score!

Marky could have yelled at the team and I'd be fine with it. In 3 of his 5 losses he had a .926 or better save percentage. Games we probably should have won. He's played back to back games where he held the opposing team to 2 or fewer goals through 60 minutes and lost both games. The only true blemishes on his season so far, in games he's lost, was Edmonton in the season opener and Washington. Other than that his 3 other losses are on the team for having no goal support. His team has 2 goals combined in 3 of his 5 losses (against Calgary had zero, and Anaheim and St Louis only walked away with 1 goal in each of the games). Games where he stood on his head.

Yeah people wanna roast him for the OT (aggressive goalie!) play but that's a game where they gave up a shorthanded breakaway that led to a goal if I recall correctly. And now people are trying to say he played a 3 on 0 incorrectly. IT WAS A 3 ON 0. Come on now. Team hasn't played well in front of Marky the last couple games, games he did everything in his power to win for us. He was right to be frustrated after last night.

• Upvote 1

Myers wiping out and taking Miller down in the O zone was an unfortunate accident, and I guess Bo was out of gas to get back and defend. Markstrom was put in a very difficult position to have to try and make a save, so I understand why he would be upset to lose like that. Especially after playing a great team game. It`s an important point though and going 1-0-1 against the defending champs so far is promising. Pettersson looked frustrated at times, with non-calls and missed chances, but I could see the fire in his eyes. He wanted to win badly. I love that. I think he comes out flying next game against CHI. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I cannot understand why our power play isn't centered around Pettersson one timers. It's a no &^@#in brainer. It's like putting Ovechkin on the wrong side.. complety idiotic in my opinion. 

Or even that Boeser one timer. It’s like they forgot about year 1 Brock’s one timer.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

I could have been an actor - but wound up here.

Right....because watching 3 players take their time before shooting on you is exactly what professional play and sportsmanship is all about.  SMH.

So it was "professional" of Markstrom to smash his stick?   Nope.  

I am here because I am a fan - I was no where near being able to play Professional hockey - ever.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to say to someone "that's why you are here....rather than playing pro hockey."

What is more stupid is to say that Marky should have skated out of the net instead of trying to make the save..? What kind of sportsmanship is that... "oh I won't be able to stop this trio...so I may as well let them score.!" That is a quitters attitude and also a show of poor sportsmanship. And teh skaters were not taking their time...they were looking for an opening to score in OT Duh...especially when you have a goalie as good as Marky in net you have to make it count. DUH!

With Marky staying in net goes to show that he was not gonna give up and atleast TRY to make the save.  Unlike you who would have skated to the side of the net and let them have the goal. That is why you are here. Don't get it twisted. That post shows what type of person you are and that no one can and will  never ever depend on you for anything. 

Many goalies have broken their stick, there is nothing to say if it is or not. It's called emotion. 

If you are a fan. then you would understand the situation Marky was in and how he felt about it in the peak of the moment. But you choose to belittle his actions with selfishness, Kick rocks bro...

• Cheers 1

How does a &^@#ing NHL'er miss a shot from that close? Holy $&!#.

The fact that Myers wasn't even close to hitting the net.. that's pathetic LOL

Edited by Odd.

14 hours ago, Grape said:

Man, I defended Marky after the first OT loss for coming out to play the puck. But that's twice in a row where's he's made the wrong decision. This one was glaringly obvious that he should've came out to play the puck.

I'm not gonna put the game on him but that's disappointing to see.

14 hours ago, westsideconnect said:

Markstrom has to stop smashing his stick like that.  Not a good look on him or his team. 

Good game overall, can't win em all.  PP was weak but other than that solid performance!

Grapes, you're trolling right? I certainly hope so. I didn't quote em all but there was others saying similar? You all gotta be kidding, cuz if not :picard:

Actually Westside I liked his anger. Shows passion. Likely pissed right off at his team and a little at himself, as he came damn close to getting a piece of that with his blocker. 

Honestly though, how anyone possibly can put any blame on Marky for that one is beyond me lmao. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drdeath said:

Forget Myers missing the net, forget Marky not being sure what to do someone needs to be jumping off the left side of the bench as soon as they see the puck hit the boards. There’s a good chance Horvat is able to hurdle into the bench before whoever comes on for him early is involved in the play and jumping line changes early happens all the time in 3 on 3 hockey. 

And even worst case if they get caught with too many men, they have a much better chance to avoid losing against the power play or a penalty shot, compared to a 3 on 0. 

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Possibly, but I think he would've had to really book it to get there in time. Schenn wasn't skating that fast. Had Marky gone for it, you can bet he would've put on the jets and beat him to it.

Plus, even if Marky gets to it, he has to hammer it down past three Blues with very little time to prep his clear/pass. There's a case to be made for it, but I think it would've been very risky either way. In retrospect, probably still the safer move than taking a 3 on 0, but a hard-to-read situation that happens pretty uncommonly, so I don't blame him for not making that move. Not to mention he was burned on a rush to the puck in our last OT, so I can understand his hesitancy.

Even if he had a chance, whichI highlyi doubt, imagine the outrage had he tried and got smoked after what happened in the previous game... Marky did the right thing. The chance was always there for somebody to mess it up, take a move or two too many...

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I didn't say Markstrom should have skated out - I said I would have - less embarrassing - and makes your team embarrassed instead.  I know - as I speak from experience when I used to play - nothing worse than a 3 or 4 on nothing and you look down the ice and your team mates are standing there, or going for a line change - at least have the guts to try and get back to help.

75419021_2501627996553200_6694209394176950272_n.jpg

Eh, I'd be more upset with Markstrom if he just threw the game like that. Miller, Horvat and Myers don't need to have him bail from the net to know they &^@#ed up and hung their guy out to dry. 

At least Markstrom *tried* to make the save this way. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kushman said:

A good record doesn't make Green exempt from all criticism. Myself along with many others were calling for Hughes to be on pp1 since preseason, but it took the coaching staff 9games to realize this. The same can be said about OT.. It's quite obvious that speed kills in overtime, yet green refuses to put out our fastest skater (who also leads or is close to the lead on the team on takeaways?) it's been like this for seasons... I think he's actually been put out in the ot once or twice a season or two ago and looked dangerous as hell, but got put back in the dog house inexplicably. Jake had one of his better games of the season, would of been nice to see him rewarded with some time in the OT.

Never said he's exempt from criticism, but I think he should be cut some slack because clearly things are working (but simply can't win them all). They know more what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe they wanted Hughes to get a look before throwing him into the fire, something along not rushing the prospects? We don't know why Jake isn't getting the looks, but Green has put in a lot of work developing him to who he is today. I'm going to trust the process.

Btw rushing down the ice with speed is what led to a 3 on 2 that didn't pan out which in turn turned into a 3 on 0. Speed did kill us that time. There's no guarantee that Virtanen would've made a difference. Possession does seem more important during 3 on 3 in most cases.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Darius said:

Blues are gonna be hard for anyone to beat in a 7 game series.  That’s a big mobile D that can transition the puck.  Those top 4 guys are smart, block shots, and make your life miserable around the net.

It was a competitive game and I’m sure a good learning experience.

Green loves the heavy guys ( schaller, Pearson , Leivo ) just coz they can operate in games like this.

it would have been nice to have a healthy Ferland in this game.  

hawks game will be a track meet compared to this.  I can see Peteys eyes lighting up already. 

Thought Schaller and Biegle were excellent all game long and definitely had the upper hand, when they were on the ice...

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I didn't say Markstrom should have skated out - I said I would have - less embarrassing - and makes your team embarrassed instead.  I know - as I speak from experience when I used to play - nothing worse than a 3 or 4 on nothing and you look down the ice and your team mates are standing there, or going for a line change - at least have the guts to try and get back to help.

75419021_2501627996553200_6694209394176950272_n.jpg

The players decided to push the puck at the end of a shift because Pietrangelo fell creating a 3 on 2. Myers lost his footing and took out Miller and Bo was out of gas and all were behind the St Louis net at the point of the puck going the other way. It was just an unfortunate play and I'm sure the guys didn't want to leave Marky out to dry.

We got a point in this game with their trap game on point and Binnington shutting things down. If this was a playoff game under normal circumstances, I think we would have the edge of being in control most of the game. We've now come back twice against them and forced extra time, we likely wouldn't have been able to do this in previous years. Questioning their "guts" is the last thing I would be doing this season so far.

• Upvote 4