The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Five reasons to believe the Vancouver Canucks have arrived - The Hockey News

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, apollo said:

mood GIF

Great stuff - don't usually like their articles.

The only thing they should have added to this article is that the team is poised for multiple cups in the next 5 years.

I actually find the Hockey News to be fairly consistent and readable. The only guy I can't stand is Ken Campbell. He's like Tony Gallagher's whiny brother.

• Haha 2

I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm really looking forward to how we do in the upcoming games against the following teams. 

Colorado  Nov 16 

Washington Nov 23 (Probably the best measuring stick game as they are first in the league right now and the top offense in the league)

Pittsburgh Nov 27 and Dec 21 

Boston two games in February

How we do in these games will tell us if we are 100% for real or just feeding off weak competition. Then again their are few easy games in this hyper competitive league where there is so much parity. 

In October, the St. Louis game gave me some hope but then again Montreal beat St.louis twice in regulation so the Blues weren't exactly at their best in October. The last game was a pretty good representation as the Blues had won 5 straight coming into it including 3 or 4 won in OT. The fact we tied the game was a good sign and we maybe could have even won the game had Myers not messed up. 

When this team plays at their potential, they are a very good team. Last night they were no where near that level. Will be interested to see how they respond after last night. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, apollo said:

mood GIF

Great stuff - don't usually like their articles.

The only thing they should have added to this article is that the team is poised for multiple cups in the next 5 years.

Not to mention all those numerous individual awards...Calder, Norris, Hart, Selke.  On and on it goes.

The Canucks arrived.. and then left.. absolutely garbage play last few games. Its weird how an entire team to a man can just start to suck and not play as well all of a sudden. They look really bad out there..Anyway.. excitement is gone now dunno if they're all battling the flu or something..

On 11/8/2019 at 7:23 PM, 24K PureCool said:

This article did not age well.

If the team does not play with full effort like they have the last two games, this is what's going to happen. Michael Jordan said it best "You can't let yourself be beat because a lack of effort". 

This league has so much parity, its astounding. Montreal just ended Boston's point streak (considering their roster and where they are in the standings that's surprising). We let our guard down for one period and lost to the Edmonton OIlers and the Capitals. Games we should have won. 

With the exception of maybe Ottawa and Detroit, there are no easy games and even those teams surprise some times. 

So many teams are trying to make the playoffs, the margin for error is so small as we've seen from the game against Anaheim where marky made a mistake and against St.Louis where Myers made a mistake and that was the game in both cases. 

I have learned from watching this team not to read too much into how we do early in the season. This season is no different. 

Edited by Guest

On 11/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, Unknown1995 said:

If the team does not play with full effort like they have the last two games, this is what's going to happen. Michael Jordan said it best "You can't let yourself be beat because a lack of effort". 

This league has so much parity, its astounding. Montreal just ended Boston's point streak (considering their roster and where they are in the standings that's surprising). We let our guard down for one period and lost to the Edmonton OIlers and the Capitals. Games we should have won. 

With the exception of maybe Ottawa and Detroit, there are no easy games and even those teams surprise some times. 

So many teams are trying to make the playoffs, the margin for error is so small as we've seen from the game against Anaheim where marky made a mistake and against St.Louis where Myers made a mistake and that was the game in both cases. 

I have learned from watching this team not to read too much into how we do early in the season. This season is no different. 

Markstrom did not make a mistake, 3-0 and your supposed to stop them? Myers lost an edge, a mistake? Gretz Lemieux  Crosby have never done that either right? Even Bure did a cpl of times, it's an ice surface ffs and every player does it and it's nothing but a fluke thing to happen and of no fault of a player. 

I saw that about the Markstrom "mistake" before and all I could think was, what? Are people just that stupid? Try and stop a 3 on 0 in the best league in the world and let me know how that works out for you...

• Cheers 1

Larkin and Button are two media guys that supported JB moves right from the start writing or doing interviews about why this is enough to put us over the top.   November will be the real test (as usual), something tells me we won’t plummet like the last few seasons and our depth will keep us relevant.

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Markstrom did not make a mistake, 3-0 and your supposed to stop them? Myers lost an edge, a mistake? Gretz Lemieux  Crosby have never done that either right? Even Bure did a cpl of times, it's an ice surface ffs and every player does it and it's nothing but a fluke thing to happen and of no fault of a player. 

I saw that about the Markstrom "mistake" before and all I could think was, what? Are people just that stupid? Try and stop a 3 on 0 in the best league in the world and let me know how that works out for you...

And the first two losses the ice leaned heavily the other way - McDavid isn’t considered the best player (in his prime now too) for nothing, all it takes is one moment and he will break the game.   Rittich stood on his head in CAL too.   The best part about this start is we’ve never been out of a game - at least decisively.   NSH goaltending kept us in it but definitely wouldn’t have mattered if special teams didn’t click (3-3 PP).  

The team still has holes and can use another bona fide top six guy.  AG might have been our best forward last game too - on BOTH sides of the puck - spend some time with Maholtra or whomever in the dot and we’ve got ourselves a middle six guy who adds teeth to our third line -  unless he keeps it up in which case we might already have our next top six guy.  JV has been better (again) then last year - baby steps with this kid but it’s progress.   Pearson is quietly on his way to a 45 ish point year too.  

Hope Sutter and Beagle aren’t out for long - those two are a big reason our P.K. and possession stats are so good (face offs make a world of difference when it comes to that).  

No matter what the on ice product took a big jump this year and I’m excited about our future again.   Won’t make any parade claims (yet ha ha) but if Podz and Hogs and OJ are also legit and Demko is  a top ten goalie....might dust off my 94 Western Conference Champs shirt and hang it on the wall when it comes to playoff time (it was a gift but it’s way too small to wear ha ha).