The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade JM to either TO MT for a 1sr OR whatever we c

IBatch

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

This is definitely arguable, but imho, Markstrom has been the defensive MVP for the Canucks this season. He rarely gives up bad goals (the only game I remember was his first-game back from when his father passed away) and some of his saves have been downright filthy thefts. Without Markstrom, I predict the Canucks are a lottery team. As for overall MVP, imho, it's a toss-up between Markstrom, Bo (two-way game), Petey (creating something out of nothing; PP), and Miller (just clutch everywhere).

Well that's debatable.   He's not bad anymore - but I he's not Vezina or even top ten either.   Watch some other games.  ARI, COL, PHI, NYI and other goalies have been lights out too.  I don't think he's a bad goalie (anymore) but he's not a game changer either.   If the club wants to sign him long term be it.  But it could be a very big mistake.   Watching the WCE suffer because they had a mediocre goalie was painful.  Hate to waste it on this core too.  129 games before his first shut-out (record is 132) ... patience has paid off but history makes me very nervous to keep him on.   Nobody is going to want him at 5-6 .... we do that we are stuck with him and Demkos days are numbered or we end up being cap heavy with two goalies.

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Flamers did for a short time I believe a few years ago.  League predictably did nothing.

Now if it were the Canucks, you better believe Buttman would've brought the hammer down on us.

It wasn't deliberate - they had too many injuries and no cap space. That's why the emergency roster exception was introduced.  If teams have less than 20 healthy roster players they can recall a player who won't count against the cap (max cap hit of 800K this season) but they must first play one game short-handed.  It happened to Pittsburgh a few years back.  Chicago just played with 19 players because they had no cap space and too many players injured - Strome was then able to go the next game.    

Edited by mll

Toronto doesn't have much of value other than Kapanen.  They traded most of their picks and drafted a bunch of defensemen who can't play defense.  They aren't good trading partners for us, as much as I'd love to rip off their idiot of a GM.

Edited by King Heffy

Both teams have brought this upon themselves,Toronto spending WAY TOO MUCH,for so called superstars(they haven't won a damn thing) and sure can't play a 200 foot game.then Montreal has been so cheap and not spend near enough to compete in todays league.

Of course this is just my 2 cents,and alot of teams are trying to be good, that just aren't as good as they think (Calgary Etc.).

53 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We finally have two good goalies with the Canucks. Not sure why we should rush to get rid of one when the other, Demko, is not yet totally proven.

Silly idea imo.

What do you suggest JB does then?  Sign JM to a long term deal or whatever is market value?  Holtby is also going to market or getting a new contract ...Markstrom would make a good consolation prize for a team looking to solidly their goaltending for five years or so.   Is Demko supposed to wait that long?  Or is he the trade chip. Love it if we can get a three year deal at 4.5 - but is that even possible at this point?  

Step 1: Sign Jacob.. 5 x 5

2: late-Dec, Tanev, 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd(cond) to TO, for their 1st rounder, Cody Ceci & 2021 3rd

cond: IF it's a top-10 2020 1st, they get the two 2nd's.

************************* Canes doing well in January, but gt trubs**********************

3: Demko & Sutter to Canes for that TO(Marleau 1st rounder), & a depth 'tender

Then we go on an unlikely run to the Cup. TO's pick wins the lotto..massive, profitable fantasy!

In short^above 2 deals ensure we get the Laffs 2020 AND 2021 1st rounders. That'd be sweet

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

oh why oh why do we wanna trade markstrom for  ?  your not going to get a first rounder for him , Jacob isn't going to play back up  on tor or mon, you seriously think the habs are gonna tie up 15 million in goaltenders ??? the only thing Toronto is going to offer is nylander  and then we are looking for a back up to demko   so then it is going to be nylander plus crap goalie for markstrom plus one of stecher , tanev  or benn   , no thanks    

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If we trade a goalie it's Demko.  He's worth more IMO because of his age, and ceiling.  

I just can't see it, they've invested so much time into him and also being our pick makes it full value. I think Benning is going to try to keep them both. I see the one issue being Marky's agent demanding expansion protection, which Marky isn't going to get. I could see them structuring Markys deal so it isn't a good pick for Seattle, like mostly bonus money or really back loaded in payments. 

You can only protect 1 goalie in the draft so my $ is on that being Demko, unless he really poops the bed over the next 1.5 seasons. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just can't see it, they've invested so much time into him and also being our pick makes it full value. I think Benning is going to try to keep them both. I see the one issue being Marky's agent demanding expansion protection, which Marky isn't going to get. I could see them structuring Markys deal so it isn't a good pick for Seattle, like mostly bonus money or really back loaded in payments. 

You can only protect 1 goalie in the draft so my $ is on that being Demko, unless he really poops the bed over the next 1.5 seasons. 

Expansion draft is still 18 months away, but I agree that we sign both and then make Markstrom available in expansion.

I'm thinking about 5 - 5.5 million per for Markstrom for 4 years. I think teams are going to be starting to steer away from going too long term on guys who are 30+ in age. With Markstrom turning 30 in January, I can't see them going more than 4 year term.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1