The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Van Vs Vegas @ 5pm PST on SN and SN650

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The jury is out on Green. He’s a capable coach who holds down a job in the best hockey league in the world. If the team makes the playoffs he’ll keep his job, and if not he probably doesn’t . 

It is laughable and predictable that every time something doesn’t go right, the pitchforks come out. Whenever something goes right - it’s like crickets on these boards. 

As long as Green is the coach of this team, l’m in his corner.  So yeah Green is a “good” coach. I’m just not so sure if he’s a great coach.

I haven’t seen any of Green’s detractors suggest a viable replacement for him. So come on, name names, bring the fire.

Opinions aside his legacy will be the on ice product and its result...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The jury is out on Green. He’s a capable coach who holds down a job in the best hockey league in the world. If the team makes the playoffs he’ll keep his job, and if not he probably doesn’t . 

It is laughable and predictable that every time something doesn’t go right, the pitchforks come out. Whenever something goes right - it’s like crickets on these boards. 

As long as Green is the coach of this team, l’m in his corner.  So yeah Green is a “good” coach. I’m just not so sure if he’s a great coach.

I haven’t seen any of Green’s detractors suggest a viable replacement for him. So come on, name names, bring the fire.

DeBoer. (Sp?) The problem with Green isn't really strategy or play setting (I think his breakouts are actually really good) but with getting the team to play a possession game. He plays safe hockey, and would rather trade safe chance for safe chance rather than having a committed forecheck that actually applies pressure consistently (we are plagued with the dump and change) and it's way too inconsistent for when our defense stays active in the offensive zone. We rarely give up odd man's or breakaways in comparison to most teams, but we also don't play the possession hockey necessary that often risks those plays happening, like having our d pinch along walls and sending two rabbits in for the forecheck. We're often backing away from the play instead of allowing the play come to us defensively and forcing them to play around us. We're also super passive and we stay super passive in our defensive end. 

We can stay in games but we won't ever dominate them playing this way. We played vastly different from the beginning of the year than we do now. We risked way more in the earlier games and were far more consistent as a result. 

Just now, Gaudette Celly said:

Right, got it.  So...

#anyonebutgreen

Unfortunately yes 

the team is not progressing, our players are naturally maturing yet we have no definitive offensive and defensive system. We lack consistency. Awful special teams 

we have Green 3 years 

time to move on and on to the next level 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

People just hate that he was a former Oiler.

He has always been a very fair colour commentator.  I think he talks a bit too much, but overall think he is better than a lot of the colour commentators Sportsnet and HNIC offers.

Better than Simpson, Hrudey, Remenda, and Galley for sure. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

just curious about those that defend green as this great coach, why? What has he accomplished as a coach that brings confidence that hes the best available option to coach this team? 

Is it his relentless dump and chase strategy regardless of the players he has at his disposal? Is it the consistent coming out flat and playing games from behind that makes him so appealing? Or is it his post game pressers where he says the same thing about being happy  with how we played and we just ran into a good team or good goalie, taking no responsibility for our lacklustre efforts?

Genuinely curious  why there seems to be this undeserved allegiance towards Green. Seems like a nice guy, but he's a rookie level coach surrounded by a rookie level staff (minus Ian Clarke whose a beauty)

Edited by Kushman