The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hoglander to LA

I know i'm going to get roasted, but please hear me out first. This started as an idea to get Fagemo out of LA and keep the chemistry between him and Hoglander alive. Then it occurred to me, there's no way the Kings are getting rid of him. There's also been some light rumours around the Canucks and Toffoli, so I figure we could make something work around these two central pieces. But what does Vancouver really need? Cap space for keeping our young core. Petey and Hughes will need big raises a year from now, while Gaudette and Virtanen will be RFAs this summer. That's not to mention extending Markstrom and Tanev, both UFAs this summer. So, how about Hoglander and a cap dump for Toffoli?

VAN:

Toffoli (UFA 2020)

LAK:

Hoglander

2 of Baertschi (3.4m 2021), Sutter (4.3m 2021), Eriksson (6m 2022)

For the Sutter lovers, he's a cap dump. I'm sorry, but he's lost his spot to Gaud and I don't want to hear some nonsense of how played the full 82 3 seasons ago. He's done.

Why does LA do this? Hoglander is a surefire prospect and has developed some slick chemistry with Fagemo. This could speed along their rebuild. They have 4.5m in cap space right now, and taking back Toffoli would free up another 4.6m, giving them some space to take on junk. Worth a thought. 

Edited by Ossi Vaananen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

So rent toffolli for 2 months for arguably one of the most exciting looking prospects ever drafted outside of the 1st round this team has ever had?

k....

ya, and dump some cap in the process. 17m in capspace next year with 13 signed. need to re-up Virtanen/Gaudette and sign pending UFAs Tanev/Markstrom. Do that, and you still have to free probably 18m for Petey/Hughes the year after. We'll need to start dumping cap, that might cost us pieces. 

• Like 1

While I'm all for getting Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi off the books, Hoglander is too good of a player (much like Podkolzin) to trade away to make cap space. And Toffoli offers no guarantee of re-signing here.

Certainly some teams could be convinced to take a middling player by being offered a tantalizing prospect, but I highly doubt LA would take on 3 of them, even with Hoglander.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

I don't think Toffoli is the answer.  Virtanen, Pearson, Rousell, and Leivo are all scoring at roughly the same pace as Toffoli and don't cost us anything.  We also have Ferland.  To give up anything for a sideways move is not worth it.  If you are going to give up Hoglander+ it better be for a serious upgrade.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Better to wait until the off-season to move Eriksson as his bonus will be paid and he will be cheaper/ easier to move.

I think that's the plan. While I was initially not a fan of him coming back into the lineup, I think it's a stroke of genius on the part of Green to play him in a high profile spot.

Not only has he been more than adequate, but it does have a positive effect on his trade value.

43 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I know i'm going to get roasted, but please hear me out first. This started as an idea to get Fagemo out of LA and keep the chemistry between him and Hoglander alive. Then it occurred to me, there's no way the Kings are getting rid of him. There's also been some light rumours around the Canucks and Toffoli, so I figure we could make something work around these two central pieces. But what does Vancouver really need? Cap space for keeping our young core. Petey and Hughes will need big raises a year from now, while Gaudette and Virtanen will be RFAs this summer. That's not to mention extending Markstrom and Tanev, both UFAs this summer. So, how about Hoglander and a cap dump for Toffoli?

VAN:

Toffoli (UFA 2020)

LAK:

Hoglander

2 of Baertschi (3.4m 2021), Sutter (4.3m 2021), Eriksson (6m 2022)

For the Sutter lovers, he's a cap dump. I'm sorry, but he's lost his spot to Gaud and I don't want to hear some nonsense of how played the full 82 3 seasons ago. He's done.

Why does LA do this? Hoglander is a surefire prospect and has developed some slick chemistry with Fagemo. This could speed along their rebuild. They have 4.5m in cap space right now, and taking back Toffoli would free up another 4.6m, giving them some space to take on junk. Worth a thought. 

Ya hard NO Hoglander isn't going anywhere. We need to continue to be patient and build through our draft picks and not give them away.. By the time we loose all the dead weight all our draft pick will be on or close to being on our team so be patient

45 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

ya, and dump some cap in the process. 17m in capspace next year with 13 signed. need to re-up Virtanen/Gaudette and sign pending UFAs Tanev/Markstrom. Do that, and you still have to free probably 18m for Petey/Hughes the year after. We'll need to start dumping cap, that might cost us pieces. 

So offering say a 3rd 4th or 5th to Seattle to take one of Baertschi, Sutter or Ericsson in the expansion draft is a bad idea over dumping Hoglander why?