The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Blues at Canucks - Getting Back To Business Edition - Jan.27th, 2020 @ 7pm, Sportsnet Pacific

Rate this topic

Roger Neilsons Towel

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well first off he's a center who can play shutdown D, he's great on face-offs and an accomplished PK'er. More importantly he's got only one year left so he's a one year gap for a team that needs one with zero ED ramifications. 

I think a team in the bottom of the standings like Detroit that could use a multi purpose player as a stop gap would offer up a lower pick (4th or 5th), or more likely a project player that JB has had had his eye on. Someone like a Bailey, or a Karlsson (a bit lofty). Basically a regular NHL'er for a good AHL / long range NHL player.

The thing about Sutter is he gets a lot of bad Stigma for being part of the Kesler deal but he's a decently defensive role player. It hasn't exactly been rosy in Van but he has value as a hockey player. On top of this a team could always flip him for a pick at the deadline.

IMHO Sutter's value exceeds a 4th/5th. His playing ability is unquestioned in NHL circles. Scouts will evaluate him as a bottom 6 stalwart. The issue with Sutter is durability. If he stays in the line up up to the TDL is value goes up. The question then becomes whether Benning hangs onto players for a playoff run. 

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Sutter's value exceeds a 4th/5th. His playing ability is unquestioned in NHL circles. Scouts will evaluate him as a bottom 6 stalwart. The issue with Sutter is durability. If he stays in the line up up to the TDL is value goes up. The question then becomes whether Benning hangs onto players for a playoff run. 

Agreed.  No chance JB trades Sutter right now.  

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Definitely agree. I lessened the value to prove the point. I don't think JB trades him unless he is bringing in another player or Ferland comes in right away and shows great, while Eriksson continues his play. More likely an off-season deal IMO.

Will be at the game tonight...both teams had 8 days off....hopefully, the Canucks show up for this one, at puck drop, and pot the first two goals, then don't take the foot off the gas.

Blues have a stellar "D" who contribute on the score board...Canucks need to play a puck possession game and play well defensively (don't take chances) because the Blues play a very discipline game and will take advantage off those chances.

A real test and statement game tonight!

Every game is a playoff style game now which is new for lots of our young stars, but Boes , Petey, and Hughes are mature beyond their years.

Aside from that our defensive game needs to display more consistency and having Sutter back in really helps our shutdown line as well as Eriksson with Bo so here's hoping

Sutter >> Schaller

Go Pacific Champs Go!

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Defensive ability is an underrated skill.  Problem is as you said is durability.  Same issue with dealing Tanev.  Both players have NTCs that makes it harder to deal either player.  Tanev's deal is an expiring one that would interest playoff contenders more at the trade deadline than Sutter's contract which has an additional year left.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I fail to see why Fantenberg is still getting ice time.

I think he is playing better than Benn.

Very consistent, good hitter, clears traffic, big shot; admittedly, Benn covers these same things, just not as well, imo.

Very excited to have the Canucks playing again; meaningful games; big challenge against the Stanley Cup Champions, first place in the division, etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Benn looked terrible for a while and didn't look much better when he was put back. I suspect he's on the trade block. 

I bet they will trade one of them if they can. Can’t see either on the team next year 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Benn looked terrible for a while and didn't look much better when he was put back. I suspect he's on the trade block. 

I think you're right about Benn, based on Benning's comments on trying to clear a bit of cap space. If we're calling playing ability about par between Benn and Fantenberg, I'd rather trade Benn with his higher salary and extra year, and let Fantenberg walk in the offseason, promote a prospect or 2 (Cyclops, OJ, etc). Even @ 50% retained on Benn, we'd still save more.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I think you're right about Benn, based on Benning's comments on trying to clear a bit of cap space. If we're calling playing ability about par between Benn and Fantenberg, I'd rather trade Benn with his higher salary and extra year, and let Fantenberg walk in the offseason, promote a prospect or 2 (Cyclops, OJ, etc). Even @ 50% retained on Benn, we'd still save more.

the deal I want to see is Benn 50% retained for TOs 2020 2nd. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1