The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I find Matty Ohlund a kind of mystery man when he comes to Vancouver. Probably his personality but he seems very detached and aloof. He is one of a the all time great Canuck d-men. Never saw an interview. Glad he got a great reception on the ice when introduced. Quiet man?

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I find Matty Ohlund a kind of mystery man when he comes to Vancouver. Probably his personality but he seems very detached and aloof. He is one of a the all time great Canuck d-men. Never saw an interview. Glad he got a great reception on the ice when introduced. Quiet man?

He did a radio interview on 650 earlier this week

12 hours ago, x00x said:

Sorry to say canucks fans, but if markstrom wasnt playing this year we would be problem at the bottom of the standings, you know how many games hes been a god in and has saved so many, theres been so many 40+ shot games this year against us and hes bailed us out so many times, he deserves a HUGE raise .....markstrom has been our savior all season

While I agree that marky is a god among men, the team is also backing that up by putting the puck in the net rather consistently all season. Hard to complain about the results

12 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Markstrom said he was more nervous than usual playing following the #Sedins retirement ceremony. Said Edler told him to calm down before he went onto the ice. #Canucks

Eagle being the calming veteran he is like Henrik and Daniel were.:)

Sorry Luo - but what the team needed in that Cup run....was a fighter like Jacob Markstrom.   Present version of Markstrom = Cup in 2011.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Absolutely brutal game. Worst I've seen them play since the trip to Florida.

Cheech wanted to give all three stars to Marky and he would have been right to do so. Take the 2 points and run....

we out shoot some and lose , last night we got out shot, but we won,  someone said earlier in the year , don't worry it evens it self out in the long run, well last night was one of those nights. the Canucks scored 3 and the Hawks nothing!!! Marky was awesome

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Can't even begin to describe the feels.....

We need to plant him there for every game....new gig.  Keep him forever.  Dragon slaying crowd pumping hero of mine.

So, Mrs. Robinson, how is your achy breaky heart, today?

I could not help but think of you during that ceremony! 

Did you get there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, but the high danger scoring chances were 12-5 last night, still not what you want to see but the boys did an OK job keeping most of the shots to the outside and no one was able to screen Marky last night, and it was nice to see the team get physically engaged like that too.

I'm not surprised the 1st 10 minutes were lopsided, these ceremonies can be hard on teams coming out strong. Add to that some ridiculous lopsided PP time for the Hawks. 

I love that none of our guys were taking any sh!t from anyone last night. 

Love it.... its been a long time coming...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The Canucks also are near the top of the NHL in takeaways and goals scored off of such which comes directly from that more aggressive approach.   I see a coaching style that is all about risk reward.   I find it funny that a fanbase who cried for more entertaining hockey now has a coach who is providing that but with that comes a lot more shot opportunities the other way.   While Marky/Demko have been forced to make some spectacular saves this season, the Canucks also have one of the best statistical trends in having clear shots (non-obstructed) which always have a very high %percentage and having one of the lowest "high chance" shot differentials in the NHL (e.g. the Canucks even when outshot are often ahead in the "high risk" shot differential).   

I would personally like to see the Canucks tighten up a bit but that is largely the job of having better skating Dmen and a bit more mobility up and down the lineup to play the style Green wants.   What I don't mind is how well the Canucks defend when "hemmed in" so to speak as they keep teams to the outside and give up few high % chances which can really frustrate another team.    

Canucks, like I have been saying all year Alf, are a work in progress.   I see them drafting and signing players who can first and foremost skate like the wind as that seems to be what the organization wants and they have a coach who embraces that.   It can backfire for sure but for now, it is nicely entertaining and currently at least has them on pace to make the playoffs.

good description. I like checking those "shot maps" occasionally and what you're saying lines up with what I see with the Canucks most nights, yeah there are shots against but most of them are from pretty far out and not high % chances. 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

couldn't be more wrong. I had the chance to meet him at an event 3 years ago and he's a great person. What you're seeing  - and misreading - is he's a very humble guy. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Fun info for those losing their minds over shots.

2/3rds of the time (17-9) we lose this season, we have outshot the winning team.  Games we win, we outshot the opposition  13 times vs 18.  One win had a tie in shots.

It ain't always pretty, but what matters is the win column.

• Cheers 3

While the game wasn't pretty from a possession perspective, I wonder if Green saw it as an opportunity to recalibrate the physicality/unity/pushback approach. I think part of the reason (outside of Markstrom being incredible) that the team won the game, was that they weren't being intimidated by the Hawks at all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

now that was a great ceremony for the Sedins....Bieksa is a beauty. Great to see the core players there that played with the Sedins when the Sedins were in their prime.

Legends were great....didn't realize how much Naslund meant to the Sedins....great acknowledgement to Nazzy.

Marky is our man...nothing was getting by him in that game....he was focused and on a mission to make the night perfect for 22 and 33. They could have played shorted handed the whole game...the result would have been the same....a win.

Love seeing the dragon getting taken down no matter how it gets done.

Edited by Pete M