The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Let's also not forget 17 of Markstrom's 22 wins are with 30+ shots against him. When 77% of your wins of your starter require your goaltender to be a spine like that, your team relies way too much on him. Most teams win games with their goaltender's facing less than 30, not more. 

lets not forget it is a team game and Markstrom is part of the team. who scores the goals? not Markstrom.  do you have the stats on most teams win facing less than 30 shots every game?

• Cheers 3

Everyone needs to calm down.

Did no one watch the Calgary-Chicago game on Saturday? What a pathetic effort by Calgary. A team in a more desperate situation, a team we all fear in the playoffs because they play a big, in your face style of game... guess what? They don't.

I too am concerned about the lack of pushback and intensity from our guys, however, this is very common throughout the league. For every big game a team has, big hits, couple scraps... 10 games go by with lack luster play. The Nucks are no different.

The days are long gone where a team plays physical night in and night out.

In the last 3 games, Gaudette, Virtanen, Myers, Miller and Pearson have all dropped the mitts. I know the nucks lack pushback, but I still feel it's living just below the surface, and given the right playoff atmosphere this team might shock some people. I'd hate to see Miller break his hand on someones helmet with only 15 games left in the season.

Give these guys 1 playoff series, if you don't see what you're looking for, then sound the alarms.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I haven't seen anybody post this ....

But the ducks got smoked 6-0 their last home game.  They were gonna put in a really good effort.  Unfortunately some untimely things occurred to the Canucks.  The game was more even than the score indicated imo.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I haven't seen anybody post this ....

But the ducks got smoked 6-0 their last home game.  They were gonna put in a really good effort.  Unfortunately some untimely things occurred to the Canucks.  The game was more even than the score indicated imo.

Actually, we weren’t ready to compete, chased the game, and (pretty much) got killed.  As soon as the games got harder to play, we started getting destroyed in possession and on the shot clock.  The irony is we got more shots last game.  

Pretty silly game tbh... The better team lost. 

I still can't believe instead of a 5 minute major and a 7 minute penalty, on the ducks plug, it ended up being 4 minutes on him and 4 minutes on Myers. 

So getting sucker punched gets you a 4 minute penalty lol... Did Tkachuk get 4 minutes too when he got sucker punched by Kass? I must have missed the rule change. 

I can't wait until the day the refs can actually watch the replays and make the call. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

I still can't believe instead of a 5 minute major and a 7 minute penalty, on the ducks plug, it ended up being 4 minutes on him and 4 minutes on Myers. 

So getting sucker punched gets you a 4 minute penalty lol... Did Tkachuk get 4 minutes too when he got sucker punched by Kass? I must have missed the rule change. 

I can't wait until the day the refs can actually watch the replays and make the call. 

Yup I agree.  Third man in ... shoulda got the game on that play.

• Upvote 3

That hit by Manson on Myers should have resulted in a misconduct but yet, once again, they get away with what’s normally called. 

Green did a recent interview with Ben Kuzma where he talked about reading the temperature on the ice. Talked about how he understands that officials have a hard job. How he can sit there and say that when his team has gotten jobbed numerous times is beyond me. 

As well, since the ASG break, Pettersson is second only to Miller in hits. Why are those two setting the tone physically? What is Bo doing? 

Big credit to Myers for stepping up for Pettersson. He did well, considering he was mugged afterwards. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

Couple of comments:

I am sure glad I didn't pay to watch that game I actually fell asleep during the 2nd period. I think some the players didn't get the memo that a game was scheduled for that day.

Should you switch goalies after your guy comes off a SHUTOUT? I thought the general rule was to keep him in at least for the next game?

Somewhere along the line did LE play well enough to be put back in the top 6? AND.......Did Schaller somehow deserve to be put back into the line up? TG's usual rule of playing those that earn it have some how gone out the window. I have noticed he does this at the beginning of the game and then lines them up they way they should be by the end of the game. Why start them like that in the first place, LE is not going to change "what you get is what you get". I thought Bailey and McEwen provided much more aggression and jump but I guess the coach wanted something else? Instead LE goes to the 2nd line and McEwen gets bumped down? Yeah OK,

Still waiting for Bo to inspire his team here and there(lay a good hit once in awhile) and get them going when they come out flat. Maybe not all of the time, as he is learning to be a leader, but at least some of the time would be nice.

Not going to say too much about the young core they are learning and developing the vets need to pick it up though. Roussel was paid to hit and agitate and somehow I think he has forgotten how to do that for some reason.

I hope they are saving themselves for something..............like THE PLAYOFFS? :lol:

• Cheers 3

MacEwen threw half of the hits that the Canucks were credited with yesterday. Something is wrong when a rookie is tallying 5+ hits, but Pearson, Benn, Schaller and others have none. 

Green needs to give players who actually give a (expletive deleted) the minutes over empty jerseys like Schaller and Eriksson. Those hacks won’t help you in the playoffs.

I’m actually glad that the team was so soundly beaten yesterday as it provides clear evidence of the glaring issues facing this team that Markstrom has been helping cover up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, apollo said:

Nope. The better team won. The Canucks came out soft, aside from Pettersson, MacEwen, and Myers. The leadership group, whoever that is, needs to find a pulse and stand up for the team. 

• Upvote 1

McEwen  - in my opinion- provide this team with some my needed hits and physicality. He is the kind of player I root for all the way to make it to the big league and stick - he tries every shift to make a difference. Maybe it is just me and maybe I need to clean my glasses. I am not one to criticize this team -  but I think when they play a more physical game they all play better. They seem to build off it and more get involved .

I hate seeing Petey get run - and I am glad to see him standing up for himself . My point is I think if Petey can do it - the whole damn team better look at themselves in the mirror and maybe question why this 180 pound kid can do it while they do not.

It is nice having the depth to give some kids the chance and see what they have to offer. I was hoping to maybe see more of that this year.

Trade deadline coming up - I expect to see a few Canucks o n the trade block - hope there are some takers or traders

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks core is still very young. When they are pumped, they play well. External motivation is a significant factor for this team. Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes are not leaders yet. Just like J.B. says, teams that contend for cups tend to have an older leadership core that is physically developed, mature, more experienced as leaders and players. 

The problem is really fan expectation. It is unreasonable to expect this team to win the Pacific Division. It would be nice if they do but be careful what you wish for. Over-achievement ruined a lot of young teams. There are certainly some indicators that this team may be overachieving a bit. 

When you set a target for this season, stick to it, because your target was based on sound, objective and thorough assessment of where this team is on the development curve. Do not make the mistake of moving the goal post during the season. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That's what I am not understanding either, we have hungry players in the minors and lackluster bottom six guys basically going through the motions and this is usually the perfect opportunity to see what these guys can do. Somehow though TG consistently throws LE and Schaller in there and is basically hoping for a miracle to happen.

Not sure either. What did Schaller do before this game to warrant another chance? Same with Eriksson. They're passengers, pure and simple. Neither is providing a positive effect for the lines they’re on. 

I think I noticed that Benn and Roussel registered 0 hits last game and its not the first time.

Roussel is a huge disappointment. Benn isn’t far behind. These two were acquired partially due to their ability to stand up for their team, yet both are more often watching than doing. 

There is plenty of opportunity for experiments but TG seems to think this is his SC team or something and is reluctant to change.

I don’t think Green is under any false beliefs that his team is in any way a contender. That being said, I don’t understand his thought process using ineffective veteran players, other than the idea that he’s hoping to rely on their experience. I think it’s clear that’s not working. 

I don't know, it baffles me that we are not trying to develop all of our prospects and sometimes this involves giving them a taste of the NHL occasionally.

Green has been pretty good at giving young players the opportunity to take a roster spot. That seems pretty clear. Maybe he’s being instructed to play the vets because Benning is putting together some potential trades. I certainly hope that’s the case, although it’s a really counterproductive strategy. 

• Like 2

Roussel has been very disappointing this year. If he's not out there causing havoc, then he's not really a player we need in our line-up.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Roussel has been very disappointing this year. If he's not out there causing havoc, then he's not really a player we need in our line-up.

True. Hopefully Jim can pull off some deadline magic and trade him, Eriksson, Schaller, and Stecher. 

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

McEwen  - in my opinion- provide this team with some my needed hits and physicality. He is the kind of player I root for all the way to make it to the big league and stick - he tries every shift to make a difference. Maybe it is just me and maybe I need to clean my glasses. I am not one to criticize this team -  but I think when they play a more physical game they all play better. They seem to build off it and more get involved .

I hate seeing Petey get run - and I am glad to see him standing up for himself . My point is I think if Petey can do it - the whole damn team better look at themselves in the mirror and maybe question why this 180 pound kid can do it while they do not.

It is nice having the depth to give some kids the chance and see what they have to offer. I was hoping to maybe see more of that this year.

Trade deadline coming up - I expect to see a few Canucks o n the trade block - hope there are some takers or traders

As I watch our young core develop, I noticed very early on how Petey's demeanor was different to Bo's. I suggested before they named a Captain that Petey had attributes I would like to see in the next Captain. Imagine Petey's tenacity once he fills out to be like a Sundin or a Forsberg. CDCer's almost lost their mind at the thought of anyone but Bo being our Captain. At the same time, I see Bo acting very similar to Hank, which is understandable as he probably learned most from him. Which is OK, but I really don't want another "gentlemanly" leader in the playoffs. I am still going to try to give Bo the benefit of the doubt and at least give him the opportunity to prove himself in the playoffs, who knows, maybe he has a "beast mode" we have not seen from him yet.

What I really see is maybe the division of those who take their jobs as an NHLer as just that, its a job, or there is the few who take it as a mission to win a Stanley Cup. We see a lot of vets who either choose to play for their families and stay put, or, we see those that chase the Cup and want to win at any cost. This may include getting traded to another team.

At this point, I am just happy to see a hard fought game and if the team comes out flat, somebody in the leadership group stepping up to the plate. I don't think its too much to ask of our team but I hear so many CDCers more then willing to provide excuses for these guys as to why they could not perform on a certain night.

Skate hard a little, hit a little, and like you said, good things will come.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. Hopefully Jim can pull off some deadline magic and trade him, Eriksson, Schaller, and Stecher. 

The more likely scenario is that a lot of player decisions are postponed until the end of playoffs. Then the organization would reassess the players and make decisions accordingly.