The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With all due respect to Ehrhoff he was not as good offensively as Barrie.

Barrie has scored 50+ points 3 times whereas Ehrhoff did it once in his career.

Ehrhoff also played with the Sedins and Thornton and Marleau in their prime so it is comparable to Barrie in Colorado.

And to Barrie’s defense, he never stated that Buffalo provided him with the best chance to win a Cup. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think that is what is happening here. He is showing interest, so the players or his agent hears that. We do NOT have the assets in the way of a 1st round pick plus to acquire him.

Only way it could happen is if Tanev goes to TO and likely we need to add to him for TO to take that trade.

The issue is that Barrie is likely a rental - he will want more than the Canucks can pay next year and someone with cap space will likely pay him. 

So that is why I don't think they should offer much more than Stecher and a B prospect and at most add a mid round pick next year.  Stecher won't be back anyways and will be replaced internally (Rafferty or Tryamkin) or a by lower cost UFA.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The below was on HF:

image.png.66536485d50263b24ea02a8749b4e73f.png

If they give up a first plus prospect plus Stecher or Virtanen I will not be pleased.  Huge overpayment for what is likely a rental.  Wow just wow.  Reeks of desperation if true..

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

If they give up a first plus prospect plus Stecher or Virtanen I will not be pleased.  Huge overpayment for what is likely a rental.  Wow just wow.  Reeks of desperation if true..

They won’t so don’t worry.

They can ask for that all they want, they won’t get it. That’s Eastern media trying to up the value of a player that is having his worst season statistically.

If it was in fact a sign and trade it obviously ups the value but there’s no way we’re giving them a premium for a player they can’t re-sign and are looking to dump.

I would do Juolevi, Stecher and a 2nd in 2021 for a signed Barrie (if it’s less than 7 mil)

Until Bob, Elliott or Pierre start tweeting some rumblings pagnotta or the other no namers spew means nothing to me

May not be a popular choice, but with Toffoli being here, I could see JB letting go of Virtanen in the right kind of deal. For me that isn't Barrie tho, but if JV is cemented in a bottom 6 role it may be all JB thinks he can be so he may move on from him rather than try to make a deal in the summer with the future rfa...maybe that is!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Barrie is the type of D man that need a good shutdown or two way defenceman paired with him to excel. 

The problem with him was, the Avs team he played on didn't really have a good shutdown D man like Edler to play with and the Laffs are just terrible defensively as a whole. 

My sense tell me (Eliotte Friedman style) that JB think's he can be paired with Edler and pushes Myers down to the bottom pair with Fantenberg to give our top 6 a good balance of offence and defence.

I like Stecher as much as the next guy, he's a character dude. But we need more than characters to win the Cup. Depth and scoring wins championships in today's NHL. 

Edler - Barrie

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Myers

This gives us more options on the PP1 and PP2 and if *knocks on wood* Hughes misses any time in the playoffs we have another offensive Dman.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They won’t so don’t worry.

They can ask for that all they want, they won’t get it. That’s Eastern media trying to up the value of a player that is having his worst season statistically.

If it was in fact a sign and trade it obviously ups the value but there’s no way we’re giving them a premium for a player they can’t re-sign and are looking to dump.

I would do Juolevi, Stecher and a 2nd in 2021 for a signed Barrie (if it’s less than 7 mil)

That's not bad, TO has some depth on the LHD department tho?