The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Very true and a good point but in the playoffs teams will play dirty to win. If we had a Barrie to shelter Hughes' minutes it could be huge.

Maybe shelter is the wrong word... but to lighten the load

I am thinking that being the playoffs will naturally reduce the number of power plays, which will reduce Quinn's ice time naturally.  To me we need a stronger 5 on 5 guy and that isn't Barrie.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If the Leafs trade Barrie, it would mean that they give up on trying to make the playoffs and or being competitive in the playoffs. This is not happening. 

They want to trade him because Dumbass seems to have finally realized he needs a defenseman who can play defense instead of Barrie.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they can't close out tough games. I saw one rumour on the tweety that involved Sutter + Stecher for Barrie. 

They're probably actually VERY interested in Sutter or Beagle as they don't really have guys like them down the lineup. Maybe even Gaudette to a lesser extent. TBH, I wouldn't wanna trade either of those guys. Sutter is a dressing room glue guy and Beagle is our recent bottom 6 cup experience. Neither of those guys really make me want to spring them for defensive depth. Maybe Roussel? 

This TDL is a bit more nerve-racking than previous ones. I'm wishing I took tomorrow off work. But I also wonder if it will be a somewhat quiet TDL day and the TSN guys will be trying to drum up Leafs rumours so they have something to talk about. I'd like for Benning to do something, just not sure what that is. Another Dman would be good, but only if it's an upgrade. I don't see how Barrie would be an improvement on D. Manson would be perfect. He won't put up a lot of points, but he'll punish the opposition.  

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They want to trade him because Dumbass seems to have finally realized he needs a defenseman who can play defense instead of Barrie.

He is not the liability you think he is. Their team is full of goal sucks. Their forwards are not responsible in the back end. Tanev or any other D man is not going to fix that. The defencemen can only do so much!

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again what you fail to see is Barrie as evidenced by his good play in Colorado isn't the issue. The fact Toronto has ZERO support from the forwards and 4 subpar dmen after Muzzin and Barrie with Rielly out. Dermott is ok but still too inexperienced. 

Imagine if the Leafs had properly used Barrie on the PP from day one?

Losing to a zamboni driver makes sense. 

• Cheers 1

This probably isn't popular but I hope the Canucks stand pat at the TDL, sort of "dance with the gal you brought to the dance".  The players they have are what got them to this point, I doubt there is any one or two moves that would make them Cup contenders, I'd hate to see the team chemistry disrupted just to add a piece that likely won't mean a lot to the final standing, unless it's a piece that will be a significant upgrade into next season or beyond.  Time enough in the off season to make some adjustments.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

He is not the liability you think he is. Their team is full of goal sucks. Their forwards are not responsible in the back end. Tanev or any other D man is not going to fix that. The defencemen can only do so much!

He was absolutely dreadful in his own zone in Colorado too.  While I agree that the Leafs' system makes the problem worse, Barrie is doing nothing to help his cause by not even attempting to play any defense.

Muzzin is their only defenseman under contract who plays like an NHLer in his own zone.

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

No way we should be giving up Gaudette 

he may end up having more upside than Hake and I don’t want to give Jake up

why all of a sudden does JB think we are contenders? 

Benning would be insane to include Gaudette in a deal right now, too much upside and still too young.

44 minutes ago, skategal said:

This probably isn't popular but I hope the Canucks stand pat at the TDL, sort of "dance with the gal you brought to the dance".  The players they have are what got them to this point, I doubt there is any one or two moves that would make them Cup contenders, I'd hate to see the team chemistry disrupted just to add a piece that likely won't mean a lot to the final standing, unless it's a piece that will be a significant upgrade into next season or beyond.  Time enough in the off season to make some adjustments.  

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly think TT will be their only move for that very reason.  These guys have played hard all year for each other and you can tell there's a real family feel on this team.  To disrupt that now could upset the entire apple cart

Thank you both so much for this sanity.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

No way we should be giving up Gaudette 

he may end up having more upside than Hake and I don’t want to give Jake up

why all of a sudden does JB think we are contenders? 

The fact that Gaudette name has come up tells you something. Most of it Is rubbish!

You have to take these things with a grain of salt. All these rumours, very little is true and GM’s like JB are just doing their due diligence. If a deal makes sense it will happen. But it also doesn’t mean JB is going around trying to trade for this guy and that guy