The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team MVP

Rate this topic

Sedinyoureyesontheprize

Team MVP   

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s the first time in many years, there are so many candidates for Team MVP . Who is your choice and why?

It’d have to be Hughes who has played a quietly impressive game. He’s made every other player around him better, and has helped out in every aspect of the game. I think there’s a whole another level that he can raise his game to. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Like 1

Markstrom, and it's not even close for me. He's stolen countless games and really solidified his place in the league as a top tier goalie.

Hughes has been remarkable, a revelation. As much as I love the impact he's made and the bright future he has/gives to the team, I feel Marky has been far more instrumental in keeping the team in games we had no business of winning this year.

Petey is a beauty and continues to give us so much hope for the future. But he's still finding his own way and in doing so isn't exactly pulling the cart.

Miller was a great pick up. 

But it's Marky all the way. He's put this team on his back and played far better than we've ever seen from him before.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't recall a season ever where there with this many candidates so close to each other.

Markstrom has been McLean-esque and his 49 save shutout is a nice exclamation point on the season.

Hughes has had probably the best season ever by a Canucks defenseman.  Certainly up there with Reinhart's two seasons and Lidster's best year.

Petterson is like last year.

Miller is leading the team in scoring, ahead of Petterson.

Once again Horvat is top two in faceoffs won in the NHL and better than last year.

I'm trying to remember another year with five players who could win it.  Maybe the 1987-88 Canucks.  And that team finished 2nd last and drafted Linden in the summer.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

There was a statistic on HNIC last night. I don’t know exactly how they come up with it. But Markstrom is leading the league with 8 Stolen Games. (Rask who’s leading the league is GAA and Sv% has 1) 

Thats 16 points has STOLEN. No Playoffs, No Toffoli trade, No buyers talk if it weren’t for Markstrom.

Miller and Hughes are having remarkable seasons but it’s not even close who’s the MVP

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Our NHL all star

Jacob Markstrom.  There isn't much more we can ask him to do, we can't.  

Miller is 2nd.

Pettersson has been great too despite being focused more on

I'd put Hughes as 2nd.

He's just &^@#ing unreal. Kid's a one man zone clearing / gaining machine. His speed and awareness, coupled with his insanely accurate passing and ability to read the play has completely changed the teams ability to create offense.

Miller is great,  but hasn't changed the face of the franchise like Quinn has.

Edited by luckylager

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'd put Hughes as 2nd.

He's just &^@#ing unreal. Kid's a one man zone clearing / gaining machine. His speed and awareness, coupled with his insanely accurate passing and ability to read the play has completely changed the teams ability to create offense.

Miller is great,  but hasn't changed the face of the franchise like Quinn has.

Hughes getting a ton of points that is converted by Miller too, but yea, its so close for number 2, maybe by game 82 lets see how many points each player finishes with. 

I was gonna vote Miller but my clumsy fingers tapped Markstrom and as I was about to change it I hesitated and decided to stick with Markstrom. He’s the right choice as he’s had one hell of a season and been a wall more times than we should have needed him to be.

While Miller edges out Hughes for me, they are the only other two that I even considered. I give it to Miller over Hughes because despite Hughes being a revelation on the back end and a superstar like (or better than) Pettersson, Miller has set the tone for not only the forward group but the whole team and he’s done it every. single. game. He plays hard every shift, goes to the dirty areas, is constantly engaged and makes good plays. Without him I think the team’s identity doesn’t form in the same way it has over this last year and the Canucks don’t make the same jump in progress.

• Upvote 1