The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Leafs Feb 29 2020 - 4:00 Pacific - HNIC - Leap Year Edition

Rate this topic

xereau

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

TO has had a ton of pressure put on them and they are playing much better through their slump.

IMO Virtanen should be on the second line by himself he just isn't enough of a threat to draw added attention away from Petey and company and Horvat's line can use more of an offensive threat. I can see Green is trying to balance the lines but IMO it is load up time.

Still think the flu bug is present.

TO will be a big challenge, younger, faster and they are playing with grit now, not a lot but a lot more than before.

Demko might be a little shaky after Ottawa got to him but that could have been worse if Ottawa didn't go into a defensive shell to protect the lead.

Lot of Canucks auditioning for contracts next year.

They should form a "Slumping Line" and use them sparingly. You want to come off this line, then work your a$$ off to do so. If not, then you are relegated to the "Press box" line. ::D

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

They should form a "Slumping Line" and use them sparingly. You want to come off this line, then work your a$$ off to do so. If not, then you are relegated to the "Press box" line. ::D

Not enough players on the team if they do that with all the players

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I really want to like Travis Green as a coach, but his decision making is irritating. Team got beaten by an AHL squad last game, you'd think that would be a good reason to tinker with the line up... but no, go with the same boring group.

MacEwen has done pretty much everything you could ask for in the games he played. He hit, fought, scored, provided the team energy... I don't get it... this after Banning said he is a regular nhler.

Maybe there's a power play between TG and JB?

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly.

Seriously. 

What would make Liljegren more nervous? Seeing Roussel or Eriksson casually skate into the Leafs end, mumbling something about the antioxidants in syrup, or MacEwen and Bo barreling down on them?

Languid Loui finally decides to turn on the jets.

NjuFD3f.gif

• Haha 3

I don’t expect this to be close thanks to our awful coach.

Travis Green hockey consists of playing the same system regardless of the opposition. No in-game adjustments, hardly any controlled zone entries or a player trailing the puck carrier, always dumping and chasing, a hapless two-man forecheck that gets nullified with a simple pass.

If I remember correctly, the Miller goal last night happened because Pettersson gained the zone with possession by evading two checks in the neutral zone because he can and he’s that good. But this idiot coach insists Miller, who turns the puck over a lot despite how good he is, does it or just forfeit the puck by dumping it. Like, Green should see that and design breakouts with Pettersson carrying the puck in the neutral zone with speed. Sometimes I wonder if these coaches even watch film or review the game afterwards. Fire this idiot please.

Instead of surrendering prime scoring chances against the Jayce Hawryluks and Rudolfs Balcers of the world, Demko will be on an island getting peppered from Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, etc.

It’s going to be a loooooong afternoon.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, tas said:

he doesn't have to -- but the point is, he might, and it's ok if he does. it's about setting reasonable expectations. 

I think its more than reasonable to ask Demko not to have 3 bad games in a row. And to hope he doesn't give up an early soft goal tonight.

How is that unreasonable. I think it should be an expectation. That's not a big ask of any backup in the NHL.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

My prediction 

Green changes absolutely nothing with the lineup. We take the Leafs for granted and get wiped. Then we walk into Columbus with zero confidence with a mad team facing us...this is not looking good 

I truly hope I am wrong but we have seen it far too much. If this team drops out of the chase, look out 

Toffoli won’t want anything to do with this team but more specifically Green. Just don’t think we will sign with us at that point 

look at our goals against vs last year. Zero improvement with an arguably stronger roster. Where is the fantastic system? And that’s with Marky standing on his head. Meanwhile DeBoer has Vegas on fire  

and how does Green possibly keep Roussel in the roster after that blatantly selfish shift that cost us a key goal against

we were promised accountability and yet there is none under Green. Loui, Sutter amd Roussel just Mail it in and are dressed game after game while guys willing to work are sitting in the press Box or Utica 

green will never take this team to the playoffs 

my opinion 

Please don't take this wrong, I mean no offence, but you are a true pessimist. Unless you are on a reverse psychology bend, you are truly a downer. I am not saying it is all roses and the exact opposite will happen. But, what is life without hope in all we do, believe in, enjoy etc. I prefer not to have the negative outlook, yah I might be disappointed by this team but because I am a fan, I stay hopeful. 

Best to you anyway.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think its more than reasonable to ask Demko not to have 3 bad games in a row. And to hope he doesn't give up an early soft goal tonight.

I don't think he has had 2 bad games, a couple of goals he would like to have back , sure ,but I remember the year when Marky was letting in an easy goal almost every game within the first couple of minutes of each game almost like clock work. 

Just like I am not expecting "perfection" from Petey or Hughes, I will give Demko a little more then a week of work before jumping to any conclusions.

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

How is that unreasonable. I think it should be an expectation. That's not a big ask of any backup in the NHL.

Agreed, but I also remember the time when Marky always gave up the first weak one in a game.  Maybe it’s a Canucks goalie right of passage before they become elite.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I don’t expect this to be close thanks to our awful coach.

Travis Green hockey consists of playing the same system regardless of the opposition. No in-game adjustments, hardly any controlled zone entries or a player trailing the puck carrier, always dumping and chasing, a hapless two-man forecheck that gets nullified with a simple pass.

If I remember correctly, the Miller goal last night happened because Pettersson gained the zone with possession by evading two checks in the neutral zone because he can and he’s that good. But this idiot coach insists Miller, who turns the puck over a lot despite how good he is, does it or just forfeit the puck by dumping it. Like, Green should see that and design breakouts with Pettersson carrying the puck in the neutral zone with speed. Sometimes I wonder if these coaches even watch film or review the game afterwards. Fire this idiot please.

Instead of surrendering prime scoring chances against the Jayce Hawryluks and Rudolfs Balcers of the world, Demko will be on an island getting peppered from Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, etc.

It’s going to be a loooooong afternoon.

I have agreed on the majority of TG's decisions since his jump to the big leagues but I am beginning to wonder if he has reached his maximum effectiveness and a more Experienced NHL Coach is needed to take our guys to the next level. I think they are ready for that next step.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think he has had 2 bad games, a couple of goals he would like to have back , sure ,but I remember the year when Marky was letting in an easy goal almost every game within the first couple of minutes of each game almost like clock work. 

Just like I am not expecting "perfection" from Petey or Hughes, I will give Demko a little more then a week of work before jumping to any conclusions.

Who has jumped to conclusions. 

I've read most of this thread not sure I've read a post where someone has jumped to conclusions on Demko after 2 games since Marky's injury.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed, but I also remember the time when Marky always gave up the first weak one in a game.  Maybe it’s a Canucks goalie right of passage before they become elite.

Nah, Ian Clark transformed and rebuilt Marky's game over that last 2 seasons. 

Demo has been working with and being developed by Ian Clark. Couldn't ask for a better situation..

I think Demko will be a legit starter pretty soon. Perhaps next year but with in 2 years for sure imo.