The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 1st pick 2020 / 2021

Rate this topic

grandmaster

35 minutes ago, khay said:

That would be great. But I wonder how that conversation is going to go.

"Loui, I know you are set to make 9 million dollars for the next 2 years but please for the team, can you give up that money and retire?"

My answer, if I'm Loui is "no, f*ck off unless you are making up the difference and pay me 9 million dollars now."

The only way forward is to fake an allergy? 

I think more like "Loui, the schools in Utica aren't quite what your kids are used to"

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think more like "Loui, the schools in Utica aren't quite what your kids are used to"

Loui: "Don't worry, with my 9 million dollars, my family will be living in New York City and the kids will go to private schools." 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we get lucky and win the draft lottery?  Lafreniere :wub:would look pretty good on Bo’s wing. 

Strange things have definitely happened on lottery determination day (New Jersey Devils day hello).  

Assuming that we don’t win the lottery however, and draft in a position that corresponds more closely to where we finish, I would love to draft Braden Schneider.  Big, physical, RHD, good skating defenseman that is defensively oriented.    He’s exactly what we need imo.

• Like 1

Just now, DarkIndianRises said:

Strange things have definitely happened on lottery determination day (New Jersey Devils day hello).  

Assuming that we don’t win the lottery however, and draft in a position that corresponds more closely to where we finish, I would love to draft Braden Schneider.  Big, physical, RHD, good skating defenseman that is defensively oriented.    He’s exactly what we need imo.

Eventual Myers replacement? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rychicken said:

We can't (shouldn't) wait that long to replace Myers...

Is Myers signed for four or five more years?  I don’t think we could trade him.  Tryamkin could take his minutes, but there is still the cap cost Myers eats up.  

1 hour ago, khay said:

Loui: "Don't worry, with my 9 million dollars, my family will be living in New York City and the kids will go to private schools." 

eh, true. But then he's got to uproot everyone. I just don't see it, I think he takes the 3 mil, retires and gets an Luongo-type job offer in the front office. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Eventual Myers replacement? 

Just anyone in general on that side basically.   Myers and Tanev aren’t exactly spring chicken, while Stecher might not be a part of this team’s future.    We still don’t know what will happen with Tryamkin (will he play here), while right sided prospects like Woo are by no means a lock to make the team.   

Rafferty is our only real long term asset on right side D right now.    

Basically, I want a young defenseman in our system that can be the Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes’ Duncan Keith.  The ying to their yang so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Just anyone in general on that side basically.   Myers and Tanev aren’t exactly spring chicken, while Stecher might not be a part of this team’s future.    We still don’t know what will happen with Tryamkin (will he play here), while right sided prospects like Woo are by no means a lock to make the team.   

Basically, I want a young defenseman in our system that can be the Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes’ Duncan Keith.  The ying to their yang so to speak.

As long as JB doesn’t use Rathbone as sweetener to dump one of his several bad contracts, I think Bone can be a really good player for us.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

eh, true. But then he's got to uproot everyone. I just don't see it, I think he takes the 3 mil, retires and gets an Luongo-type job offer in the front office. 

Let's hope that he does retire or at least the Canucks find a way to put him on LTIR. He must have some ailment, use that as an excuse.

If we can take Loui's cap off the book, we can massively improve the team. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We did all this last summer.  JB and Aquilini were both public with their declaration the rebuild was over.  It started when Trevor left. 

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/09/22/vancouver-canucks-ownership-wants-a-fast-rebuild-for-a-different-reason/

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/06/27/canucks-owners-asks-fans-if-team-should-name-a-captain/

“The Canucks have kind of made the statement that the rebuild for all intents and purposes is over. They’re trying to win. So, it’s time of next season.”

This is the progression from when Trevor quit, through last summer.  The owner wanted a short rebuild/retool (whatever) and thought it was over. 

That's a stupid opinion piece not a statement from Benning or Aqua.

The simple truth is the rebuild started when Benning took over. But when you need to replace virtually an entire team of aging veterans on the decline it's not going to happen quickly. Particularly when the previous GM left virtually nothing in the prospect cupboard. If Benning had completely gutted the team he would have got a top pick with rubbish to play with. Later round picks would still needing development time regardless of rebuild method. We wouldn't really be farther ahead, We would have just wasted years of a young star playing with garbage waiting for others to develop.

Most rebuilds aren't like ours because most don't have such a horrendous starting point. We had one roster player under 27 (Tanev) worth keeping and everybody else in decline. One prospect (Horvat) worth an ounce of hope, and 9 ntc's to deal. Name another team that had that bad a situation to start a rebuild with. There wasn't a chance in hell of it being a quick rebuild no matter how they went about it.

Pre and post Linden the same things occured from season to season. Players willing to waive were moved. UFA's were signed. And trades were made. Every year Benning tried to put the best team on the ice he could. I didn't see any difference in his phylosophy.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

That's a stupid opinion piece not a statement from Benning or Aqua.

The simple truth is the rebuild started when Benning took over. But when you need to replace virtually an entire team of aging veterans on the decline it's not going to happen quickly. Particularly when the previous GM left virtually nothing in the prospect cupboard. If Benning had completely gutted the team he would have got a top pick with rubbish to play with. Later round picks would still needing development time regardless of rebuild method. We wouldn't really be farther ahead, We would have just wasted years of a young star playing with garbage waiting for others to develop.

Most rebuilds aren't like ours because most don't have such a horrendous starting point. We had one roster player under 27 (Tanev) worth keeping and everybody else in decline. One prospect (Horvat) worth an ounce of hope, and 9 ntc's to deal. Name another team that had that bad a situation to start a rebuild with. There wasn't a chance in hell of it being a quick rebuild no matter how they went about it.

Pre and post Linden the same things occured from season to season. Players willing to waive were moved. UFA's were signed. And trades were made. Every year Benning tried to put the best team on the ice he could. I didn't see any difference in his phylosophy.

And where are we now?  We are a bubble playoff team with two elite young players, and a boatload of crap (untradable) contracts.  Any good prospects Bracket has drafted will need to be used as sweetener to dump the crap contracts JB signed.  All because our owner believed in a short rebuild.  We didn’t finish the foundation before we started building upward.  

There are other quotes from Aquilini and JB; go find them. 

• Wat 1

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

The JT Miller trade, which was a fantastic trade for us, is gonna hit us in terms up giving up that pick.

This was a conditional pick either this year or the next. 

If we fail to make this years playoffs (which is very likely now), we ought to keep this years pick.

The Canucks would surely do better next year and make it to the post season.

Are we going to have tank nation start up again on these boards to get that better pick? 

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Tank nation was dead for most of this year. It will creep up. You will see these boards get lit up with that thought. I think we are done as well. With no Marky, Boeser and a couple hurt defencemen, it’s not gonna happen. 

It's been dead most of the year because Nucks have been in or around the playoff positions all year. They've never tanked on purpose (just sucked the proper way) so I can't see it starting when they're finally close to making it.

Urgh this is so dumb it's making my head hurt. Fortunately this thread is already conforming to Eriksson's Law as it circles the drain.

Any chance NJ returns our pick for LE?

9 hours ago, khay said:

Let's hope that he does retire or at least the Canucks find a way to put him on LTIR. He must have some ailment, use that as an excuse.

If we can take Loui's cap off the book, we can massively improve the team. 

A new Myers you mean... 

15 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

That D is likely to come from trade at some point IMO from our forward depth.

• Cheers 1

On 3/5/2020 at 3:40 PM, Alflives said:

And where are we now?  We are a bubble playoff team with two elite young players, and a boatload of crap (untradable) contracts.  Any good prospects Bracket has drafted will need to be used as sweetener to dump the crap contracts JB signed.  All because our owner believed in a short rebuild.  We didn’t finish the foundation before we started building upward.  

There are other quotes from Aquilini and JB; go find them. 

Our three best players are also three of our youngest. I'd say we're only a few pieces short right now with plenty developing. The contracts you complain about will be gone by the time Hughes and Pettersson truly come into their own. Meanwhile all those later picks have had time to develop rather than being rushed in.

You want me to read quotes you post them with links. Direct quotes would be nice.

• Cheers 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:28 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

I think the Canucks are going to end up exactly where they want to be 

Does the Canucks want to face #1 and 2 in scoring NO so no to EDM 

Does the Canucks want face one of the Hottest teams in the League right now NO so no to Vegas

so they need to look to the Central division

Can they compete against a slower more defensive team YES so St.L looks good

Can they play against a Fast but inexperience back end team Yes so Col look Good

So the Canucks need to end up in the last wildcard spot.

The travel will be awful if the Canucks end up in the central division playoff bracket.  Let's go through the Pacific division regardless if we want the best chance to win the Cup.  

• Cheers 1

On 3/5/2020 at 3:02 AM, grandmaster said:

The JT Miller trade, which was a fantastic trade for us, is gonna hit us in terms up giving up that pick.

This was a conditional pick either this year or the next. 

If we fail to make this years playoffs (which is very likely now), we ought to keep this years pick.

The Canucks would surely do better next year and make it to the post season.

Are we going to have tank nation start up again on these boards to get that better pick? 

Cool.

Heres a seat. 

Sit down.