The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign William Lockwood

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nice. It restores your faith in humanity a little when potential free agents sign with there draft teams. 

Pretty tough not to want to sign in Vancouver if u ask me 

Elite young core - check 

North America's top city, year after year - check 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, apollo said:

If Bure was ring of honour then Lockwood could wear his #10 ;)

No disrespect to Bure but I just don't think he's a "Canuck at heart"... You could even argue that he is the most talented of our retired #s but I'd certainly suggest that he is least deserving. Solely based on his level of involvement with the team - or lack thereof. 

Ring of honour would have been a better fit for Pavel if you ask me. 

Again no disrespect to Pavel... One of the most prolific goal scores of all time, he was electrifying. But to have your # retired in a Canadian market I think comes with certain responsibilities and he can't fill them

Bure was the most exciting Canuck of all time, the team as a whole screwd things up with him in my opinion. His # is retired largely due to his former agent be the Canuck GM at the time also in my opinion. He was a great player, sucks he left but he is Russian so not at all surprised he doesn't have much attachment to the team he last played on over 20 years ago.

I was very disappointed when he made that video stating he couldn't get his visa or whatever to travel to Vancouver for the 50th celebrations....that is a big a BS excuse as you can come up with. He obviously knew well in advance, that said he is still my favourite Canuck and only wish I was older when he was playing for us so I could remember it more clearly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m happy they got Lockwood signed. I know a lot of people were saying don’t waste the contract as his stats have been underwhelming. Lockwood has good traits and plays the right way. Kids got speed, grit and can show silky mitts. Irregardless of low production I always wanted to sign this guy and see if his game can translate in the next level! Really you don’t lose anything by giving him a shot!

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, I’m late to the party, as far as hearing about today’s additions. It’ll come as a surprise to no one that I’m happy to see Lockwood signed (and I also like the Michaelis signing).

Never really had a doubt that Will would stay loyal to the Canucks. And from the sounds of Benning’s comments, it was probably never in doubt that they’d offer him a contract.

The Canucks see this kid as a future top-9 staple for this team or, at minimum, an good NHL 4th liner. I feel the same. Despite the setbacks and challenges he’s faced (or perhaps partially because of them), I’m still a big believer in Lockwood. So long as he stays healthy, I see his game translating very well to the pros.

He could become a real sparkplug type of player for us, bringing energy to his mates and the fans out of their seats. Speed, aggression, pursuit, work rate, leadership, character, commitment, solid defensive ability, and some soft hands and underrated offensive ability.

This kid’s a beauty and I’m excited to see what the future holds for him. Like others have said, the points totals don’t tell the whole story here. Lockwood is far better than his stats suggest. He’s a difference maker with the ability to turn around games singlehandedly with a big play. Whether it’s a shotblock that leads to a short handed breakaway; a big hit that fires up his teammates and the fans; an end to end rush, finishing in a highlight reel goal; a ferocious forecheck that causes pure chaos in the zone and forces a juicy turnover; a backcheck where he suddenly speeds into view, seemingly from out of nowhere, to disrupt the play; or a shift where he somehow just wills his way to the net, against the flow, doing everything the hard way, and somehow imposing his will on the game with the physicality of a man 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. 

Yeah, you could say I’m a fan. ;) 

Truly a Michigan player who deserved to be called a Wolverine. Or maybe Honey Badger 2.0?

Sid... With so little canuck content these days... Anything we can find is a good thing.  Wanted you to know, that I think you're a talented writer.  Most of the time I find your posts well thought out and informative... Even if I don't agree with your assessment (usually do), your argument is compelling because of the strength of your writing.  If you don't already do something writing related for a living... I hope you'll consider it.  I will follow yah.  Regardless we got you here.

Cheers!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Sid... With so little canuck content these days... Anything we can find is a good thing.  Wanted you to know, that I think you're a talented writer.  Most of the time I find your posts well thought out and informative... Even if I don't agree with your assessment (usually do), your argument is compelling because of the strength of your writing.  If you don't already do something writing related for a living... I hope you'll consider it.  I will follow yah.  Regardless we got you here.

Cheers!

Cheers, mate! I’m always happy to hear that someone enjoys reading my posts. 

I’m a bit guarded about revealing details of my life outside of CDC, for a variety of reasons, but I can tell you that my training and trade involves something “writing related.” 

Nothing to do with hockey journalism, however, or any type of sports writing, for that matter.

That might change one day. I really do enjoy writing about the Canucks, prospects, and just hockey in general. I’ve considered, from time to time, taking it a bit further than just posting stuff here. I have also been approached a few times over the years about providing Canucks content for some blogs and other online media. It just never felt like the right time, or something that I could fully commit to.

It’s definitely nice to know that you’d give me a follow, if I ever did try to start something up. I don’t know if it’ll ever happen, but if it does, I’ll make sure you’re one of the first to know about it. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 2

Sorry Apollo, back to back 60 goal seasons means his number is raised in Vancouver!

Bure is one of only 20 players in nhl history to have scored 60 goals or more and he did it back to back years.

Pavel Bure had his career cut short because of knee injuries and yet the field of work he decided to pursue after hockey is used as an excuse as to why his number should not be retired is :blink:

Like is he supposed to sit at home and only talk about hockey and nothing else? Sheesh.

13 hours ago, apollo said:

If Bure was ring of honour then Lockwood could wear his #10 ;)

No disrespect to Bure but I just don't think he's a "Canuck at heart"... You could even argue that he is the most talented of our retired #s but I'd certainly suggest that he is least deserving. Solely based on his level of involvement with the team - or lack thereof. 

Ring of honour would have been a better fit for Pavel if you ask me. 

Again no disrespect to Pavel... One of the most prolific goal scores of all time, he was electrifying. But to have your # retired in a Canadian market I think comes with certain responsibilities and he can't fill them

• Like 1