The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Tyler Madden

44 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

This trade is not only bad but it could go down as one of the worst trades in Canucks history. If Toffoli had multiple years left on his contract at a cheap rate this trade would have been worth it. Madden is playing at a 1st rounder level PLUS giving up the 2nd is highway robbery for LA. Add to the point that we are/were a bubble team with a young core. Also Toffoli isn't exactly a star player either. At the very least Benning should have tried to at least dump Baertschi in the deal instead of Schaller to help with cap space this year. 

I would imagine that he did try and move Baertschi.

Edited by thundernuts

41 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

This trade is not only bad but it could go down as one of the worst trades in Canucks history. If Toffoli had multiple years left on his contract at a cheap rate this trade would have been worth it. Madden is playing at a 1st rounder level PLUS giving up the 2nd is highway robbery for LA. Add to the point that we are/were a bubble team with a young core. Also Toffoli isn't exactly a star player either. At the very least Benning should have tried to at least dump Baertschi in the deal instead of Schaller to help with cap space this year. 

I think it's a little too early to say with any degree of certainty whether this trade was a bad thing.  Bit of a risk for sure, but at 28, Toffoli still has some good years left and is a developed scoring talent that makes us an even more dangerous team. Gotta think JB and company have considered all the angles and thought this through....I hope.  Can't believe JB would give up young talent like Madden to trade for a guy he was going to let walk after a handful of games. Gotta think other trades or salary dumps are up and coming. JB has something up his sleeve - I think he will end up signing Toffoli to a multi-year contract.

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

1b0.jpg

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Any trade could potentially be “the worst trade in history” if the prospect involved goes on to be a hall of famer.

Do you really feel Madden is going to be one of those players?

Even if he becomes a good top 6 we’ve already got depth down the middle in Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette. If he plays wing (which Benning thinks he will) he’s gotta beat out Boeser, Miller, Virtanen, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Lind to get that spot. Not an easy task.

And there’s also the possibility that we re-sign Toffoli in which case I don’t think anyone will complain.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Any trade could potentially be “the worst trade in history” if the prospect involved goes on to be a hall of famer.

Do you really feel Madden is going to be one of those players?

Even if he becomes a good top 6 we’ve already got depth down the middle in Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette. If he plays wing (which Benning thinks he will) he’s gotta beat out Boeser, Miller, Virtanen, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Lind to get that spot. Not an easy task.

And there’s also the possibility that we re-sign Toffoli in which case I don’t think anyone will complain.

Pretty much this. It's easy to cry over spilled milk if you expect something to happen. But that's the thing: you could expect ANYTHING to happen. You could literally cry over unicorns and rainbows coming to Vancouver. It doesn't mean it's actually going to happen so why cry over it in the first place?

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Every single player the Canucks traded or gave up on will come back and haunt the team. 

The end. 

I’ll never forgive Benning for letting Corrado, Subban, Connauton, and Forsling go.

Our D would be stacked right now if he didn’t constantly trade away prospects.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’ll never forgive Benning for letting Corrado, Subban, Connauton, and Forsling go.

Yannick Weber

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Connauton was let go by Gillis as part of the Derek Roy trade. Connauton never reached the hype he had as a prospect but he's turned out pretty decent. Can't really call a mid-rounder thats played 300 plus games a bust

On 5/30/2020 at 1:51 AM, filthycanuck said:

Connauton was let go by Gillis as part of the Derek Roy trade. Connauton never reached the hype he had as a prospect but he's turned out pretty decent. Can't really call a mid-rounder thats played 300 plus games a bust

I think maybe you missed the point of that comment....

(ie. does Connauton not being here haunt us in our sleep?)

Edited by The Lock

Do I like the trade? Toffoli is a established player, a scorer in the league. He’s supposed to help the here and now. I sure hope he goes on a tear when play resumes and make his time as a rental a memorable one. If he plays well and performs in the play-inns then the playoffs then I will officially consider it a good trade. So far the trade has paid dividends, Toffoli has 10 points in 10 games ( 6G4A) on the line with Pettersson and Miller. He needs to continue that the rest of the way, point a game or close to. If he does that then that means the top line is productive and that bodes well for our playoff hopes. 

Madden on the other hand has enormous potential to be a player that is so effective with his style of play that we regret playing against him and the kings. But then again he might not realize that potential. I was really looking forward to having his skill set on our  Team at some point in the future. Now it’ll be on another team and in different colours but still intrigued to see how his career plays out. I think he’ll be a star. 

48 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Madden on the other hand has enormous potential to be a player that is so effective with his style of play that we regret playing against him and the kings. But then again he might not realize that potential. I was really looking forward to having his skill set on our  Team at some point in the future. Now it’ll be on another team and in different colours but still intrigued to see how his career plays out. I think he’ll be a star. 

For every Gaudreau there's a Hunter Shinkaruk or Linden Vey.  Smaller guys don't always pan out, plus we're set up front.  
I get that the shiny new toy appeal is still very much on Madden but (unless we can reverse the trade) what's done is done.

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

For every Gaudreau there's a Hunter Shinkaruk or Linden Vey.  Smaller guys don't always pan out, plus we're set up front.  
I get that the shiny new toy appeal is still very much on Madden but (unless we can reverse the trade) what's done is done.

Trade will only look bad if we fail to retain toffoli. He looked great in his stint here .

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:21 PM, canucklehead44 said:

So dramatic.

Regardless of whether we're able to resign Toffoli, this trade's success will hinge on how Madden pans out. 

Saying that this trade is automatically a win if we resign Toffoli is burying your head in the sand. 

• Upvote 1

Let me get this straight. Some folks here crying about letting go a prospect drafted in the third round that weighs literally 150lbs for a dynamic NHL producer who was rocking our team when we had hockey.  :picard:

I remember a time when 1st round picks would be tossed for help like this. I suppose there is no pleasing some of the ignorant fans here! :rolleyes:

The Canucks are doing well in their forward prospect pool with the highly touted Hogs and Pods. There is no room for this Madden scrub as another rookie forward on the team.

One or two good rookies per season is enough to give experience to a young player while maintaining a pro level competitive edge.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1