The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Tyler Madden

Just now, Timbermen said:

Did he have the rona? I meant JB obviously. Were we in a playoff spot before the shutdown? You did notice other teams that were making trades to bolster their lineups for the playoffs, no? I've seen this before, the outrage when he traded Subban or Shinkaruk, how will we ever make it.:frantic:

I know what happened... we got out of a playoff spot and then the lockdown. It all makes sense now! They're out to get us! :frantic:

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

I'll care about this if Benning can't resign Tiffoli and we traded  Madden for a handful of games played.

I was ok with the Toffoli deal (Madden, 2nd, cond 4th, Schaller) IF he could be signed.  Trading for rentals at this stage of team development doesn't make sense otherwise.

It must be the plan.  I'm just not sure how Benning is going to do it.

Congrats to Madden.

Happy we got Toffoli...happier if he can be resigned.

If Toffoli cannot be resigned, and he does not play any more games this year because of the worst pandemic in 100 years, some people will use hindsight to say it was a bad trade. And to those people I say...I hope you get covid-19...:lol:

Kidding of course...:ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I have a feeling he wasn't going to sign here and JB knew it. I have no proof but just figure. I'm a little surprised that at his weight he wouldn't want to play another year in NCAA. Oh well, good good luck young man.

Reading this tweet, it seems like Madden was expected to sign with Vancouver. Seems like the Huskies were hoping the trade might delay things, and they’d maybe keep him an extra year when the rights moved to LA, but that they were already prepared for Madden leaving (to join the Canucks).

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I have a feeling he wasn't going to sign here and JB knew it. I have no proof but just figure. I'm a little surprised that at his weight he wouldn't want to play another year in NCAA. Oh well, good good luck young man.

Or another way to look at it is that maybe he wanted to turn pro ASAP and the Canucks maybe felt he should go back another year to develop. Although it sounded like the Canucks weren't shopping Madden and rather that's who LA targetted, so that would suggest that there wasn't anything forcing our hand for a trade, but we just felt he was an expendable piece to get a top 6 forward (hopefully re-signed which was probably the intention in making this move).

Still remember when Judd Brackett advocated to take Tyler Madden over the popular Jake Wise, and Vancouver media questionned JB and the scouting department.

Couple years later Tyler Madden comes out of the NCAA with an impressive body of work and a ELC with an NHL team, while Wise is struggling to gain traction in Boston University. 

All the best to Tyler.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 3

The league is trending towards smaller players. The 2 best players on the Canucks are 176 and 170 lbs. It's weird that there's this obsession over his size being an issue.

Even if it were an issue, the Kings are always a big, tough team. Madden will fit perfectly there, as he'll be insulated by bigger players. I can see him being a 70 to 80 point player in his prime. 

Edited by Darkstar

7 hours ago, rekker said:

Why would you just post some flat out comment without any reality basis. 

I believe Madden or his agent already came out and clarified that they had wanted to sign with Vancouver. 

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

What makes u say that. 

The depth chart, he aint gonna be playing centre in lines 1-3, and who is he possibly supplanting at wing?  His timeline for this team is 1-2 years in the minors, theres chance he's probably going to play some games with the Kings next season. Tell you what though, not saying he didn't want to be here, but he was probably pumped at the notion at being a core piece in LA

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Why would you just post some flat out comment without any reality basis. 

I believe Madden or his agent already came out and clarified that they had wanted to sign with Vancouver. 

Was this pre JT Miller or post? Quinns development and Miller's play pretty much changed the dynamics of the team. None of us though Miller was going to be this good. During the trade, I dont think Brisbois told our boy Jim "this guy is gonna score 85is points, 30 goals in your team".

When Madden was drafted by the Canucks I'm sure they expected that he would grow an inch or two over the next 2--3 years and put on 15--20  pounds, and reasonably so, but the guy completely stalled out. I don't think he has put on a single pound since being drafted which means he is always going to be small and skinny. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, but he's up against it , far from a sure thing, and he's risky.

14 hours ago, rekker said:

Yeah, like that's the deal breaker for these young kids...their weight.

With the hit on next year's cap due to Covid-19, we're likely not gonna be able to bring back Toffoli now.  Sucks.  Well, I guess unless we get a compliance buyout or two... but that's if Aquilini wants to open his pocketbook when the economy is shot to hell.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

With the hit on next year's cap due to Covid-19, we're likely not gonna be able to bring back Toffoli now.  Sucks.  Well, I guess unless we get a compliance buyout or two... but that's if Aquilini wants to open his pocketbook when the economy is shot to hell.

If he cap goes down drastically there will definitely be compliance buyouts, maybe even two.

We’ll be fine. The biggest blow for me is not getting playoff experience for our young core guys. Now we only have one more season of Petey on a cheap contract, then it becomes that much tougher to build a team under the cap.

If Toffoli wants to be here they’ll find a way to get it done. 

19 hours ago, Darkstar said:

The league is trending towards smaller players. The 2 best players on the Canucks are 176 and 170 lbs. It's weird that there's this obsession over his size being an issue.

Even if it were an issue, the Kings are always a big, tough team. Madden will fit perfectly there, as he'll be insulated by bigger players. I can see him being a 70 to 80 point player in his prime. 

I'm not sure about 70- to 80-points for Madden but he's shown that he is a smart, skilled and productive player at the College level so there's certainly a lot of promise for him.  I can see Madden being a good, versatile top-6 player.  If Madden ends up playing wing, then who knows, he may get a chance to play with Vilardi who is a big center and had been playing well before the suspension of play.  He could also play with Kopitar who is also a big center.

The Kings have a lot of promise in their pipeline and should be a bit better in the next couple seasons.  Kopitar and Doughty are still very good players who can help shelter their young talent.  It's mostly Jonathan Quick, Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown who are really fading.