The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

68 Game Rollback?

Rate this topic

Provost

This idea has been floated around for the last week.   Basing the playoffs on the lowest number of games played rather than winning %.

It would screw the Canucks in terms of opponent ... so clearly that is what the NHL would do :)

It seem like there is no practical way to play more regular season games before a playoffs to even out the. Umber is games played.  Aside from logistics of creating a schedule that does that... you really can’t ask teams and players who are out of contention to come back, have a mini training camp, and then play meaningless 2-4 games where they could easily get injured.

The only practical solution would be a training camp and then right into playoffs.  Hopefully with a formula that lets us participate.

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1464422.1586369473

Edited by Provost

Uhh we would still make it as WC2. The article you linked said the same 16 teams would make the playoffs either with point percentage or 68 game roll back. Think the difference if we get colorado rather than st.louis. Good trade off, like our chances against colorado way more than st.louis.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh we would still make it as WC2. The article you linked said the same 16 teams would make the playoffs either with point percentage or 68 game roll back. Think the difference if we get colorado rather than st.louis. Good trade off, like our chances against colorado way more than st.louis.

The difference is between Colorado and Edmonton as per the article..

So it's pick your poison for us -- McDavid and Draisaitl or Mackinnon/ Makar/ Landeskog/ Rantanen...

I think I would want to play Colorado, probably stand a better chance of winning and even if not, we'd be in for some good back and forth action.  

Either way Marky better be ready, he's going to get peppered with shots.

For a pure entertainment value: Colorado. Both teams play with uptempo offense, fast skating game. Every time Vancouver plays Colorado the past 2 years has been memorable and fun to watch. Lots of chances both ways seems like.

For a better chance to win: Edmonton. Colorado is way too much of a juggernaut that if they are 100% health after all this, we don't stand much a chance. We can probably grind it out and beat Edmonton if we get the right bounces.

Personally I prefer the points percentage. That way we can/ will knock out Edmonton and Calgary will lose to St Louis. Both AB teams out in the first round, which is appropriate. Let the better teams move onto round 2. The rollback allows one of those crappy teams to get to second round. Leafs play Tampa either way, so they too will be deservedly out after round 1. 

But, I will be happy either way really  once it’s confirmed the Playoffs are a go. 

I don’t see how that’s a fairer way.

So basically you tell teams that played 71 games that those games didn’t actually count? Does that mean rolling back players stats as well?

Points percentage is the simplest most fair way to do it. No need to complicate things.

If they wanna have a mini playoffs for the final two wild card spots then they can settle things that way. 

Seems like TSN just pitched the idea because they like the idea of the battle of Alberta and Crosby vs Ovechkin in the first round.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

So it's pick your poison for us -- McDavid and Draisaitl or Mackinnon/ Makar/ Landeskog/ Rantanen...

I think I would want to play Colorado, probably stand a better chance of winning and even if not, we'd be in for some good back and forth action.  

IIRC we’ve matched up pretty well against Colorado over the last two or three seasons so I wouldn’t be completely opposed to playing them. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

So basically you tell teams that played 71 games that those games didn’t actually count? Does that mean rolling back players stats as well?

Points percentage is the simplest most fair way to do it. No need to complicate things.

If they wanna have a mini playoffs for the final two wild card spots then they can settle things that way. 

Seems like TSN just pitched the idea because they like the idea of the battle of Alberta and Crosby vs Ovechkin in the first round.

^ pretty much what I was about to say, so I'll have to find something else to fill my time.

Obviously sport hacks are desperate to write about something so they punt out endless speculation. The bit I don't get from the article was...

Creating a balanced shortened schedule, in which each team would play the same number of warm-up games before the playoffs while finishing with the same number of total games played for the season would be nearly impossible.

I'm no mathmetician but how is that just nearly impossible?

Not sure who I'd rather face between Oilers and Colorado, losing to Edmonton would be more upsetting but beating them would be more fun.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

^ pretty much what I was about to say, so I'll have to find something else to fill my time.

Obviously sport hacks are desperate to write about something so they punt out endless speculation. The bit I don't get from the article was...

Not sure who I'd rather face between Oilers and Colorado, losing to Edmonton would be more upsetting but beating them would be more fun.

It wouldn’t be impossible but it wouldn’t exactly be fair either.

Basically teams with less games would only be able to play teams also needing to make up games. Therefore an advantage would be given to the teams who have played more in terms of deciding spots. 

As far as matchups both would present their own challenges. As stacked as Colorado is I almost prefer a matchup against them because of style of play and unproven goaltending.

I think Tippett has that team playing a suffocating style that the Canucks have never matched well against. Even though it would be very satisfying to beat them.

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

We would play Edmonton, not St. Louis based on point %.

Just now, DeNiro said:

It wouldn’t be impossible but it wouldn’t exactly be fair either.

Basically teams with less games would only be able to play teams also needing to make up games. Therefore an advantage would be given to the teams who have played more in terms of deciding spots. 

As far as matchups both would present their own challenges. As stacked as Colorado is I almost prefer a matchup against them because of style of play and unproven goaltending.

I think Tippett has that team playing a suffocating style that the Canucks have never matched well against. Even though it would be very satisfying to beat them.

I get that would be possible, but not while every team plays "the same number of warm-up games". Unless you have a bunch of extra games that don't count towards anything, which since time is limited would make even less sense.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

We are went 1-0-1 against Colorado and outscored them 10-8. 2-2 against the Coil, but outscored them 13-10. It's a toss up.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

^ This. 

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are responding to it being used In another league... so it isn’t just random spitballing.

Playing more games wouldn’t be mathematically nearly impossible... but it would be logistically.  Getting rolling availability for every venue on short notice when other events and leagues are getting going as well... that would be tough on its own.

Getting all the players back, especially from teams who are out of contention... that would be incredibly difficult.  What is to stop Ottawa from icing an AHL lineup making any remaining games a farce and in no way fair or representative of the previous “real” games.

Playing evening out regular season games is by far the least likely and most difficult option.

some more likely options:
- winning % for games already played 

- the 68 game idea

- play in games for those teams on the bubble for wildcard spots 

Although the idea of a roll back is good, IMO I don't think it is the best idea or most logical. For a draft lottery it works, but what do they do for all those players that accumulated stats, they take them away, put an asterisks beside them in the records? Win % or 7 - 10, 8 - 9 playoff best of 3 for final 2 spots.

Or as the players originally floated, if the season can start up in July, do a 2 week camp, finish out the regular season by end of month (80 games). Playoffs through September . October for draft and Free Agency. November for 2 week camp, start season Mid Nov. with a condensed schedule finishing as close to the end of June as possible, maybe early July. Take your 2 months off and start all over again.

I like the later idea as a fan, very little down time, more hockey to make up for all we are missing