The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you working or unemployed now during covid times?

Mainly Mattias

Are you working or unemployed now during covid times?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My situation is a bit mixed. I'm still going in to work, but not every day. I'm averaging about 3 hours of work actually in the office these days and the rest is done from home. I'm down to 35 hours per week instead of 40, but that's by choice and I'm aware that I have it better than a lot of other people, so I'm very grateful.

Was already working from home before all this, only difference now is I can’t see clients at all. So that’s a little frustrating. But things are actually busier and more money is coming in than before (and it was already good before).

Still going into work every day. I work at a College and we've been declared an essential service.

All classes have moved to online and videoconference delivery, which is my area, so I've got lots to do. My office is in an area of the campus with nobody anywhere near, so social distancing is easy.

• Cheers 1

I'm in a weird spot. I was working full time up until September of last year when I became a full time student, then I stepped down to part time. I'm getting EI/Covid money because my work shut down while focusing on end of term projects and I'll actually be getting more that way than I would if I were actually working. But I built up those EI hours, so it's nice to have something to show for them. 

Was already working from home. I publish a couple of community magazines. Can't go see clients, but I am still doing phone presentations. I have given several clients 2 free months of advertising to help them get through this time. 

Unfortunately, my income from the magazines will be about 30% of normal. Will be OK though as I have savings.

All the best to everyone, I hope we can come out of this stronger.

This isn't the first time for Alberta. I remember in the mid-80's a lot of my friends bolted to Calgary for work. Then when the oil industry hid the skids for a bit. 

They all moved from Calgary to the next place. 

We need sustainable industry. 

I'm working from home, but we're hearing mumblings that layoffs might happen. But our CEO hasn't really denied it yet either. 

If things go sideways might have to ask my brother if I can use a cot in his shed. 

Working from home now (well, except for an hour a week).  Wife is still working her usual hours.  With no daycare expense, barely any gas expenditures (I had a bit of a commute), and barely eating out we'll actually end up saving more money.

Edited by Wilbur

2 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Agriculture. Rain, shine or apocalypse, cows gotsta get milked. 

I thought I saw a clip of Gallons getting dumped last week,.  Would that have made any sense?

.. I do realize that cows would get milked anyways lol 

but I wasn’t sure if it was propaganda material or not,. Can’t recall the source. Cheers

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I thought I saw a clip of Gallons getting dumped last week,.  Would that have made any sense?

.. I do realize that cows would get milked anyways lol 

but I wasn’t sure if it was propaganda material or not,. Can’t recall the source. Cheers

It's actually true. Because such a high volume of restaurants have either shut their doors, or slowed down they aren't requiring nearly as much dairy product. So they have to dump it. As far as I know the dairy farmers have been asked to cut back on production too. So cutting back on how many head are being milked during this time.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaku said:

It's actually true. Because such a high volume of restaurants have either shut their doors, or slowed down they aren't requiring nearly as much dairy product. So they have to dump it. As far as I know the dairy farmers have been asked to cut back on production too. So cutting back on how many head are being milked during this time.

I'd imagine schools being closed would make a difference too.

Still going to work.  Essential tier 2.  Though work is slowing.  Basically been told I'll one of the final layoffs before the doors are forced to close unless its an emergency situation. Then I will be one of those with an emergency phone.

I feel fortunate to still be earning a paycheck, though I will likely see a massive pay cut next year as I make a large sum of what I make from profit sharing.

30 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Time to get into the ice cream business!!

31 minutes ago, Jaku said:

But don’t they need milking regardlesss? 
For the animals well being..  

...  or they start popping like balloons right across the prairies !! :shock:

..  maybe use that pipeline we all own, for milk instead of oil !   Lol. Start the fake news right here. ;)