The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Climate experts call for ‘dangerous’ Michael Moore film to be taken down

Ryan Strome

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't don't understand you point at all.:unsure: I was the one who said he was opening doors. You said he went into the house, which he did not.

So what claim did I make that was incorrect?

You said checking doors. But if you need a victory you can have it.

6 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Haven't watched the documentary yet but I probably will eventually.  I have read two of Moore's books and the one thing that most certainly disappointed me is that there were no "works cited" pages in either books.  For someone who uses statistics, data, and numbers as much as Moore does, it would have been nice for him to let the readers know where exactly he was getting his information from. I hope this documentary isn't more of the same in that regard. 

Every book is essentially an opinion piece.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Mostly due to its volatility and lack of safe storage. Unless you you think burying your garbage means clean disposal. 

There has been new advances where some reactors can actually re-use "spent" fuel rods.  

New reactors can reduce 90% more waste than before.

Depending on the fuel, some waste will have way shorter half-life, etc.  

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Are you not an ‘environmentalist’? Don’t you care about the land you live on, the water you drink, and the air that you breathe? 

And how do you store nuclear waste, that’s environmentally safe? 

And why is solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, etc, not worthy of your primary support over nuclear? 

Every source of fuel has other consequences and considerations that needs to be factored in. 

Lots of materials required for solar, wind, etc.... are rare earth elements that are mined in locations with the minimal regards for environmental and safety regulations.  

You just have to figure out what is really making the least impact to the environment as a whole.  

Is it better to have 1 facility to store nuclear waste.... or 50+ open pit mines with toxic run offs and with hundreds or thousands of workers killed or will develop diseases due to exposure?

With searching for alternative energy sources from hydrocarbons, all options need to be considered.  A solar plant in Arizona makes sense, but it doesn't in Ontario.  Wind power may be used for the Netherlands, but perhaps not great for Brazil.  

Nuclear power shouldn't just be ignore simply because "it's scary and I don't like it".

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Censorship is not an existential threat. Climate change is. Key word, existential, as in, threat to your literal existence. 

Tell that to the countless extra people who have been infected and died due to China's censorship during the coronavirus. Im sure Communism has never almost ended our existence. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

The uproar over this is pretty ridiculous and it's obviously the proponents of "Green energy" that are the ones looking to get it taken down. At the end of the day its a sad truth that the majority of Green Energy is not better for the environment than energy from fossil fuels. When I took Engineering at UVic back in 2010 our final 4th year project was done in coordination with BC hydro and entailed powering a remote native community in Northern BC that was off the grid. We researched all possible means of power generation and power storage and it was sad to see how ineffective most Green Energy solutions were. In the end it came down to an option between wind power with fossil fuel generator backups or straight fossil fuel generators. After discussion with the community it was decided that there was no benefit from using Wind with a Gen backup. The environmental impact of the wind turbine would not offset the affect on the environment of using a single smaller backup generator instead of a larger generator for everything.

18 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think it was bowling for Columbine where he walked right into someone's house. Sure Canada is safer then the US but walking into someone's house would get you shot or hurt. It was obviously staged.

I guess tom brady walking into dudes house last week was staged too and that was in florida 

18 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Micheal Moore is just a fat obnoxious idiot. He is like a politician in the opposition.

Agree 100% but he still has the right to make his documentaries...  Let me watch and let me decide.

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Tell that to the countless extra people who have been infected and died due to China's censorship during the coronavirus. Im sure Communism has never almost ended our existence. 

The people of China’s problem is dictatorship first and foremost, censorship is a tertiary problem, and less so than climate change. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yet another great contribution to humanity from samurai.

We thank you for your services.

I do my contributing in the real world.  Judging by the amount and quality of your posts you don’t spend much time there.  

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Pickly said:

No, you. You are in the Covid thread ripping into people that don’t share the values or views as you. Anybody on here who says something that doesn’t share you or a certain gang of obvious left leaning posters viewpoint gets annihilated because apparently free speech is going the way of the dodo bird thanks to the PC crowd. 

There is more free speech now than at any point in the history of humanity. The problem is that people poorly understand the meaning of free speech. Free speech has never meant that you can say anything, anywhere, anytime with no repercussions. 

For example, getting banned from Twitter is not an attack on free speech. As a business, Twitter should have the freedom to decide what they do and do not want posted on their platform. If governments were shutting down websites because they conflicted with a certain viewpoint, that would be a violation of free speech. I don't see/hear that happening. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

There is more free speech now than at any point in the history of humanity. The problem is that people poorly understand the meaning of free speech. Free speech has never meant that you can say anything, anywhere, anytime with no repercussions. 

For example, getting banned from Twitter is not an attack on free speech. As a business, Twitter should have the freedom to decide what they do and do not want posted on their platform. If governments were shutting down websites because they conflicted with a certain viewpoint, that would be a violation of free speech. I don't see/hear that happening. 

I didn’t need a break down of what freedom of speech truly meant at its core. Nowadays, if you don’t agree with the masses or don’t agree with what is politically correct you are immediately condemned. Social media and mass media in general has slowly chipped away at our ability to think as individuals. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Haven't watched the documentary yet but I probably will eventually.  I have read two of Moore's books and the one thing that most certainly disappointed me is that there were no "works cited" pages in either books.  For someone who uses statistics, data, and numbers as much as Moore does, it would have been nice for him to let the readers know where exactly he was getting his information from. I hope this documentary isn't more of the same in that regard. 

I am just impressed that people are still reading books.

Looking at some of the posts on the internet I have a feeling that book reading is a lost art.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I didn’t need a break down of what freedom of speech truly meant at its core. Nowadays, if you don’t agree with the masses or don’t agree with what is politically correct you are immediately condemned. Social media and mass media in general has slowly chipped away at our ability to think as individuals. 

I have to disagree with this.

Take your post here that I'm replying to. How many people would this post reach out to even 30 years ago? It would be almost impossible for you to be heard right now with what you just said. Social media has made it easier than ever for anyone to post whatever they want to talk about and have thousands, if not millions, of people actually read it. All of this is literally with you just sitting in your chair, typing a few words and pressing the submit button. That's it!

The problem comes with all of this.new found ability we have in society. Because we have the ability to say what we want to a larger audience almost instantly, it also means we can offend more people almost instantly. We, ourselves are not getting chipped away our ability to think. Instead, we have more ability to think than ever before and, as a result, it feels like more restrictions are put in place when we get more backlash from that larger audience. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1