The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You also only score 2-4 goals in a 3600 second game so you're talking 1.4 goals or 2.2 off the rush or some such ratio. It's pretty useless looking at that stat in an attempt to structure a hockey strategy. You could also say that 99.9% of the time you don't score goals in hockey so you might at well not even try.

More and more teams are investing considerable amounts in data tracking and advanced stats.  Quite a few of those stat sites closed as their founders got hired by NHL teams.  The NHL is even going to introduce puck tracking and player sensors.

Teams use tracking technology to analyse their team but also opponents to gain a competitive advantage.  They can break down individual players' strength, weaknesses and tendencies as well as overall team systems.  Tracking technology / advanced stats have limitations but teams would know which data is useful to them.

McPhee initially mocked advanced stats only for him to say barely a year later that he trusts it more than the eye test.  Trotz says it's the use of advanced stats that helped him improve his coaching and allowed them to finally win a Cup in Washington.  Both Green and Evason said they looked into advanced stats this break.  Sportlogiq apparently works with 30 NHL teams.

8 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

While I love my Canadian feed, the NBC announcers do a fantastic job.

To each their own, I guess.  I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than Doc Emrick.  

• Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, mll said:

More and more teams are investing considerable amounts in data tracking and advanced stats.  Quite a few of those stat sites closed as their founders got hired by NHL teams.  The NHL is even going to introduce puck tracking and player sensors.

Teams use tracking technology to analyse their team but also opponents to gain a competitive advantage.  They can break down individual players' strength, weaknesses and tendencies as well as overall team systems.  Tracking technology / advanced stats have limitations but teams would know which data is useful to them.

McPhee initially mocked advanced stats only for him to say barely a year later that he trusts it more than the eye test.  Trotz says it's the use of advanced stats that helped him improve his coaching and allowed them to finally win a Cup in Washington.  Both Green and Evason said they looked into advanced stats this break.  Sportlogiq apparently works with 30 NHL teams.

Yeah, I know they use them more and more. I'm just not sold on this stat actually portraying what people hope for. I guess by this result you would tell your team never to cycle to puck. Just gain the blue line and shoot no matter what's in front of you. However this stat doesn't measure what is being created even when you don't score a goal, which was my point about the 99% of the game when teams are not scoring goals. Those open looks players get when the do score off the rush is set up by a lot of those cycle plays and backing the team off the blue line.

Thanks for the generous amount of info you provide.

• Vintage 1

Juolevi I haven’t honestly seen enough to make any solid judgment of. i only see game highlights and not full games of his play. 
he was a beast his draft year. So im not complaining about the pick select. Its frustrating as a Canuck fan tho that hes not at the level I thought he would be at his time in his career, but he is a Defense man which do take longer.

im not happy at all with the Canuck scrimmage highlights the whole team looks bush league. Im very very disappointed in the comical summer( still in holiday mode) Canucks. We may be happier watching  the Lotto then watching the current tomfoolery Canucks play the wild.

hope the team as a whole get their $&!# together soon.

Edited by HockeyHarry

40 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Juolevi I haven’t honestly seen enough to make any solid judgment of. i only see game highlights and not full games of his play. 
he was a beast his draft year. So im not complaining about the pick select. Its frustrating as a Canuck fan tho that hes not at the level I thought he would be at his time in his career, but he is a Defense man which do take longer.

im not happy at all with the Canuck scrimmage highlights the whole team looks bush league. Im very very disappointed in the comical summer( still in holiday mode) Canucks. We may be happier watching  the Lotto then watching the current tomfoolery Canucks play the wild.

hope the team as a whole get their $&!# together soon.

Disappointment is a part of life. You’ll get over it. 

It’s scrimmage after most of them were dormant for months. They are all easing back into things and nobody wants to get hurt in scrimmage before the playoffs start. Especially since this is as good a shot at the cup as any of them have had. They will get an exhibition game and then possibly 5 games before the real playoffs start. I dread to think how much you’d be whining if we had a bye in the first round and had to face a team that had already played a few games. 

To quote Allen Iverson, we talking ‘bout practice. Not a game. Practice. 

Enjoy the summer weather and have a lovely day. 

7 minutes ago, fogducker said:

It’s scrimmage after most of them were dormant for months. They are all easing back into things and nobody wants to get hurt in scrimmage before the playoffs start. Especially since this is as good a shot at the cup as any of them have had. They will get an exhibition game and then possibly 5 games before the real playoffs start. I dread to think how much you’d be whining if we had a bye in the first round and had to face a team that had already played a few games. 

The bye teams are playing a round robin to decide their seeding.  Every team will have played at least 3 games + 1 exhibition game once the playoff starts.

12 minutes ago, fogducker said:

I know its just a no contact scrimmage. 
but it did look like a no position drop in hockey game and this is where we see line combos? If this is line combo chemistry then this science project got confused with an abstract art project. 

Edited by HockeyHarry