The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Vancouver no longer considered at all.

Host cities deemed to be in the running are Toronto, Edmonton and Vegas.

All cities with higher rates of transmission than Vancouver.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7107079/vancouver-nhl-hub-city-no-longer/?fbclid=IwAR3QU5oqfrYBvS0tPpGjWLwYxpc5zvHgOuNVr1Nf-R7C4MolLT-Sy5J6KKg

I mean, on one hand, is this really that bad - if/when they resume, and it all goes to s$#T, we (Vancouver/BC) won't be directly involved with it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest Phillip, would Bettman try to get the NHL to resume play if his 31 Billionaire bosses didn't want him to.......?  I think not.  He's a puppet, not a puppet master - the owners want to scrounge every last penny they can from this failed season under the veiled guise of 'health and safety first and foremost' and Bettman is tasked with making it happen.  He always has been, and always will be a puppet to the owners. 

The majority of players want to go back just as bad FWIW. The share of revenue losses comes out of their salaries in the form of massively increasing escrow. They want as little of that as possible.

They're also ultra competitive athletes. Most of them want their chance at competing for a cup.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

As much as I want Vancouver to a Hub city, I think health of the people in province should come first. If Dr. Henry doesn't like the NHL plan, then she must doesn't like it for a reason. We will see where we go from here.

100%

I really don't want to see Vancouver selected as a Hub city. No way we should jeopardize the health of BC citizens for the sake of entertainment / NHL hockey.

The fact that the league is willing to risk the health of their players / players families just shows you that this in only about making millions for billionaire owners. 

Shut it down. Keep everyone safe. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100%

I really don't want to see Vancouver selected as a Hub city. No way we should jeopardize the health of BC citizens for the sake of entertainment / NHL hockey.

The fact that the league is willing to risk the health of their players / players families just shows you that this in only about making millions for billionaire owners. 

Players will likely be far safer in the NHL bubble.  There have been 11 players infected while the NHL had no control over them.  If these players had not joined phase 2 who knows how long until they would have been diagnosed and how many more people in the general population would have been in contact with them.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100%

I’d agree with this too. If it means lowering health standards in BC, move it to somewhere like Toronto or Edmonton. It doesn’t matter where it is - the Canucks will prevail. 

• Upvote 1

Ok so let me see here, as of 1:17pm our time today:

Ontario has 2,036 active cases.

Alberta has 538 active cases.

BC has 162 active cases.

Makes sense that the NHL is still considering Edmonton and Toronto :picard:

Edited by grandmaster
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest Phillip, would Bettman try to get the NHL to resume play if his 31 Billionaire bosses didn't want him to.......?  I think not.  He's a puppet, not a puppet master - the owners want to scrounge every last penny they can from this failed season under the veiled guise of 'health and safety first and foremost' and Bettman is tasked with making it happen.  He always has been, and always will be a puppet to the owners. 

Good point, Fanuck. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The NHL is clearly looking for some leniency on safety. The owners and the brass main concern are their pocketbooks. 

like i said before, the owners and the NHL do not care about the safety of the players, workers etc. and yes all they seem to care about is money

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

100%

I’m pretty sure a lot of the players want this to start up as well. They may not be billionaires but those millionaires also have money tied into this via escrow. It can not be understated that the players stand to lose a lot financially. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

LOVE it if the BC hierarchy stand firm & rain on Battman's privileged parade! Poetic-justice for that scheming lil' huckster, BOG-lackey.

I'd even define it as enlightenment & schadenfreude for every single aware Canadian! Not one single Cdn town could celebrate a Cup since this criminal was inserted.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

As do the players. They will also lose financially.

i would think their lives are worth more than money, Horvat, Benn just to name a few are thinking of their family first as others on other teams.

As for health matters, I'd be concerned for blokes like Max Domi.(diabetes)

From what I've read, preexisting health issues can make this(Corona) a pretty nasty curve-ball. Guy's an RFA after season...anyone heard scuttlebutt on cases like his?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m pretty sure a lot of the players want this to start up as well. They may not be billionaires but those millionaires also have money tied into this via escrow. It can not be understated that the players stand to lose a lot financially. 

Not to mention all the staff members who are not millionaires.

Some continue to ignore the affects of a work stoppage on everyone involved.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, bree2 said:

like i said before, the owners and the NHL do not care about the safety of the players, workers etc. and yes all they seem to care about is money

If that were the case, the NHL wouldn't be trying to make an air-tight bubble.

It would seem that if the NHL can get their accommodations met, the players would be safer inside the bubble, rather than being out and about in society.

They're also working on an out-clause for any player who doesn't feel comfortable with playing.

From what I'm seeing, they're taking player and staff safety very seriously.

• Cheers 1