Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Provost said:
4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Thx Judd for your service.

In JB we trust. 

Looks like Brackett had a lot of autonomy in 2018 and that Benning and Weisbrod deferred to him a lot 

Hughes- obviously a JBen pick - guy was gushing over him 

miller and toff trades are awesome 

Peterson - a delorme pick and good on JB for listening to him 

OJ- a jb pick- but where was Brackett on this ? 

I loved Brackett wish he stayed but JBen has done something good stuff too

i agree Erickson contract is awful and giving up a second in 2016 hurt

i don’t like Sutter either 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

So both prospects were highly regarded, is that a surprise? Benning has praised DeLorme for being the persistent presence towards Pettersson. So yes perhaps Benning may have wanted Glass (likely being able to see him more than he could've seen EP personally) and he was the "BPA" at our pick anyway. By the time the draft came, Benning was fully on board with EP and it showed on the draft floor (pointing at him and even attempting to trade down past Glass, but didn't want to fall too far to miss their target altogether). If Benning really wanted Glass that badly, he would've had him. He's the GM with the final call, he would've had his way and he did because he and the draft team wanted Pettersson at the draft.

Ya, it's not about ego.....some people in the media have said that it was......he listens to people and then decides.  Why would anybody have a problem with that?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

So now Vancouver needs to appoint a Director of Amateur Scouting to fill Brackett's position. Maybe it is an internal promotion or maybe it is somebody experienced from outside. Either way, it will be good to have another fresh pair of eyes looking at the big picture. Either eay, the thing that a lot around here are missing is that talented people come and go from organizations all the time for a variety of reasons and the organizations always fill with good people. This whoel saga reminds me of the three stages of anybody's career: 1. Get me Judd Brackett. 2. Get me a young Judd Brackett. 3. Who's Judd Brackett?  I believe we are now in stage three.

• Cheers 1

To bad Judd was a major part of why the franchise had finally fixed its piss poor drafting. This is yet another pathetic and unwarranted Loss under the benning era. 
12 years of service worth nothing to him yet he preachers loyalty and character he should try showing some of those traits once in a while.
Jimmies ego shouldn’t be nearly as big as it is with all the franchise worst records associated with his tenure. 

Good luck Judd and thanks For all the superstars you drafted. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Tracksuit said:

To bad Judd was a major part of why the franchise had finally fixed its piss poor drafting. This is yet another pathetic and unwarranted Loss under the benning era. 
12 years of service worth nothing to him yet he preachers loyalty and character he should try showing some of those traits once in a while.
Jimmies ego shouldn’t be nearly as big as it is with all the franchise worst records associated with his tenure. 

Good luck Judd and thanks For all the superstars you drafted. 

Brackett has a private Twitter account.... So you can set up a meeting with him... Give him a proper parting gift and see if he'll take you with him to a new team.  Would do us all a favor here too... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

So now Vancouver needs to appoint a Director of Amateur Scouting to fill Brackett's position. Maybe it is an internal promotion or maybe it is somebody experienced from outside. Either way, it will be good to have another fresh pair of eyes looking at the big picture. Either eay, the thing that a lot around here are missing is that talented people come and go from organizations all the time for a variety of reasons and the organizations always fill with good people. This whoel saga reminds me of the three stages of anybody's career: 1. Get me Judd Brackett. 2. Get me a young Judd Brackett. 3. Who's Judd Brackett?  I believe we are now in stage three.

Wonder if we will interview Mike Futa who LA is letting go (perhaps Brackett heads to LA in sort of a trade).

Although if it's internally, supposedly Ryan Biech was specifically mentioned by Benning.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Wonder if we will interview Mike Futa who LA is letting go (perhaps Brackett heads to LA in sort of a trade).

Although if it's internally, supposedly Ryan Biech was specifically mentioned by Benning.

Just connecting dots here, but if Mike Gillis is hired as President or Czar or Pope in New Jersey, he may hire Brackett to something more than he was here. Don't forget that it was Gillis who hired Brackett here in the first place.

And I wouldn't be sure about Biech, unless the scouting staff has embraced analytics as their primary scouting tools. Somehow, I don't see Benning turning the department over to the computer guys.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just connecting dots here, but if Mike Gillis is hired as President or Czar or Pope in New Jersey, he may hire Brackett to something more than he was here. Don't forget that it was Gillis who hired Brackett here in the first place.

And I wouldn't be sure about Biech, unless the scouting staff has embraced analytics as their primary scouting tools. Somehow, I don't see Benning turning the department over to the computer guys.

Fair enough, Brackett has to go into a situation where the GM is not a strong scout and would leave it all to the draft department to make the call. Working with Gillis likely would achieve that.

As we have seen the discussion here about autonomy, there certainly wouldn't be any "handing over" to whoever is hired as the next director. I don't know if Biech is the leadership type of person for the role, but I think Benning certainly values the analytics side during the draft discussions. I only brought him up because there was a tweet that seemed to have Benning mention him specifically.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Futa would be a good choice.

Responsible for drafting current Canucks Pearson and Toffoli. Also nabbed the Blackhawks current stud Kubalik in the 7th round.

• Cheers 1

This whole thing is ridiculous. If you look at the draft videos you see many times Benning asking bracket if he wants to trade picks. Benning saying to Judd “Hey we got your guy” when selecting Hughes. Picking Pettersson over his supposed preferential pick of Glass.

These are examples of collaboration and a GM respecting and being a good manager of listening to the people he appointed to the position they are hired to.

It seems like Judd wanted to shake up the scouting department to the way he wants but Benning being an experienced scout throughout many levels of that department he has his own ideology and likely did not want it to look the way Judd envisioned..

To each their own. We shall see how things turn out but I am a general fan of Ryan Beich and lets be honest Judd isn’t the lone cowboy sniping out great draft prospects. Judd is a great scout, one of many, wish him the best in his next gig.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Thx Judd for your service.

In JB we trust. 

Great clips thank you, really shows Benning  at his best...

Still remember how good Jim picked his first year..No Judd around then either..

Virtanen, McCabe, Demko, Tryamkin and Swedish D man now with Chcago....Just amazing.. I think Judd was at far end of table at that draft wasn't even seen..lol..lol..Part time scout still in 2014 and 2015..

• Thanks 1

Jimbo says scouts what you got, I’m looking for players with a motor this draft. looks at the scouts findings. Jimbo watches footage, Jimbo Likes or dislikes what he’s presented then Jimbo asks questions he’s interested in knowing.. Jimbo decides and makes the pick.

End of story.   Imo Bracket got an ego that got too big and totally forgot he’s just an employee. The reality of the workplace. Bosses are the bosses. 

cya Judd, maybe Jimbo will drive to airport.

Canuck train will keep rolling.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I think we'll see the results of this over the next 2-3 drafts. If the Canucks' picks don't pan out, then we know the impact that Brackett brought upon the team.

Benning and Weisbrod's incompetence has led to this team being in cap hell for the next few seasons. The fact that a team that just finished a rebuild is going to struggle to re-sign key players (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom) because of the albatross contracts on the team (Sutter, Roussel, Myers, Eriksson, Beagle) is absolutely ridiculous. I really hope they continue to do well in the only positive aspect of the organization (drafting and development). 

Think it’ll  take longer to see if the drafts are better or worse.... 

Bar very few it takes 3-5 years for the players to make the show. 

• Cheers 2