The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wilde is still a prospect and not even performing at the AHL level. Dobson is still very young and unproven.

Pulock is their best D man. That’s a pretty sad list that I wouldn’t call a lot of depth.

Pelech is right there with Pulock. Him getting injured was a huge hit to the Isles. And Toews is on a great trajectory.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Of coarse there will be sweetners to add one way or the other. Its more about team needs, we need a top 4 d man and the Iles need a sniper to play with Barzal. If both teams can make it work I think we'd be better off in the long run

Barzal plays a speed game and you yourself said Boeser is slow. 

How does his game compliment Barzal?

Either way it ain’t happening. NYI is unlikely to trade Pulock and we’re unlikely to trade Boeser.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Pelech is right there with Pulock. Him getting injured was a huge hit to the Isles. And Toews is on a great trajectory.

I still wouldnt exactly call that deep especially if you remove Pulock.

Boychuk is over the hill and Leddy is almost past his prime.

Edited by DeNiro

Question: Can any trades be made until after the SCF - currently set to end by Oct 4?

If the answer is no then this rumor is a bunch of nonsense.  

Benning: Hey does anyone want to talk about trading for Boeser?

Every GM: Shut up Jim. Talk to you in October.  - Lol.

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Question: Can any trades be made until after the SCF - currently set to end by Oct 4?

Haha good point.

Why would he even be talking trade right now?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see any scenario where Demko is here after the expansion draft if we’ve signed Markstrom long term. So no I don’t think it’s realistic to simply go to Demko when Marsktroms play trails off.

They take say Myers or a forward instead. Or we offer up another piece to get them to take someone else (though I'd personally prefer not).

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

And even if that were somehow to happen what happens if Demko starts outplaying Marktsom? Kind of hard to trade a 32/33 year old goalie with a NTC and a big cap hit.

It's it because Markstrom started sucking or because Demko is simply playing out of this world? There's always a team looking for a starter, injury replacement etc. And at that point Markstrom only has a year or two left. Don't think he'd be hard to move at all so long as he can still play at a reasonable level. May not get a higher return back, but so what?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Theres a risk no matter how you slice it. I don’t necessarily see going with Markstrom as the safer bet. Considering he’s had a fairly small track record of playing at a high level.

There's risk in absolutely everything. That's not an argument.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Biggest difference being that those goalies already had cups and Holtby has about 60 games playoff experience before going on his run. Markstrom has had zero playoff experience. So to think he’s going to just go on a run out of nowhere is unlikely. Even the best goalies have failure along the way to winning a cup.

Markstrom is certainly abnormal. Highly touted prospect, questionably developed, late bloomer. Abnormal isn't necessarily bad.

14 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ya, so no one said that they had been talking trades with other GMs so that is a straw man argument.

The comment was that they have explored the idea of trading Boeser, presumably to resolve cap issues and/or finding a top 4 D in return.

That is completely reasonable.  The reason it is news is because they certainly aren't have that discussion about our other core guys of Petterson, Hughes, and Horvat.

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I would too but were not getting that deal.. after paying LEs 3 mill bonus he only has 5 mill left over 2 years. 1 mill next year and 4 mill the following  year

.So Melnyk might do that but .

But they won't give us Brown.. 

Just nyi 1st and a 2nd for Boes and Lui I'd be pretty happy.

I'M hoping lui takes the bonus and retires. JB has to tell him retire because we won't play you anymore and you'll be sitting or waived to AHL if comets play next season..

I think lui understands the situation. I think he takes his 3mill bonus and goes back to Sweden 

If we retained $1,000,000.00 in salary, Melnyk would get a decent middle 6 guy for no salary for the first year and we would save $5,000,000.00. We could potentially swap a second from 2021 for one of their 2020 2nd round picks as part of the deal. One can dream!

Edited by RWMc1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

"Toffoli's contract will be much cheaper than that and we can lock him in this summer."

If Toffoli decides to sign here, and if it is for the same as he is getting now, the savings are $1.275 mill.

"And he's only 27 and has better numbers than Brock and better chemistry with Petey"

Cap friendly says he's 28, his numbers were less than Brock, in more game and he might have had better chemistry, for a whole 10 games.

Toffoli  68 games 44 points

Brock   57 games  45 points

Ah you're right, he turned 28 in April.  It was a quiet birthday with family only and I was in Sweden...  :)

In terms of stats you're right there isn't a huge difference.  But the eye test tells me he's a better fit with Petey and Miller.  At the end of the day, just like Marky, you cannot let a top asset walk for free.  They both need to be signed.  And if that means we trade both Boeser and Demko then at least we will get something of significance back in a trade.  We can't afford to let our MVP and a former 30 goal scorer who seems to have great chemistry with our two top players just walk away with zero compensation.  That would be the worst asset management possible.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

And their top defenseman is then Toews or Leddy?

Their D core is too shallow to absorb a loss like that. I don’t see it happening.

Toews is no sluch, Pelech is developing nicely and of course Dobson is the future of their dcorp.......propped up by a couple of solid vets.  It'd be a hit, for sure, but they also desperately need a pure scorer to play with MB.  I agree Boes is slow for Barzal, but Barzal loves to carry the puck and is great at drawing attention and then finding the open player.  I think they'd click pretty well.

They'd be giving up one of their top dmen, Canucks would be giving up one of their top fwds........seems like a match to me!  Perhaps Stetcher thrown in as a sweetner.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We’re a team on the rise yes.

So what age do you want your starting goalie to be when you’re ready to contend? 

As I said goalies over the age of 30 do not win the cup nearly as often as goalies age 22-28. Right around the age Demko will be when we’re hopefully ready to contend.

If we lock in Markstrom to a long term deal we’re basically saying goodbye to Demko. If the goal is to just be a playoff team that’s fine. If we want to build a cup contender you do that around younger goalies.

Demko should be given a split with a veteran on a short deal. It’s the only way we can build him into a starter. Hoping that Markstrom can lead us to the cup in the short window he’s still in his prime is not a great strategy. That’s how you end up with more overinflated contracts.

Holtby was a couple months from 29 when Washington won the Cup.  They are still Cup contenders with a 30-31 year old Holtby and they still have a window of 2-3 years.  Crawford was 29 when Chicago won their 2nd Cup and 31 when they won their 3rd.  Tim Thomas was 37 when Boston won their Cup.  Martin Brodeur was 31 when New Jersey won their last Cup.  Patrick Roy was 35 when Colorado won their last Cup.

There is no reason why Markstrom can't play at an elite level for several more years.  Out of all those goalies Markstrom is comparable the most to Thomas.  Tim Thomas didn't even become a regular starter until he was 31 and won a Cup 6 years later.  Like Markstrom, he didn't have much wear and tear on his body and so therefore could play at an elite level until his late 30's.  I see the same thing happening with Markstrom.  Remember Markstrom was a top prospect when he was drafted.  He played on a lousy Florida team and then was traded to Vancouver where he played in the minors for awhile and didn't even become our starter until he was 27 years old.  He doesn't have alot of wear and tear on his body and other than the knee injury this year he's been relatively healthy for the last 3 years.

Demko is unproven as a #1 goalie.  He may never be a #1 goalie.  He's already had 2 concussions in 2 years taking a puck to the mask each time in practice.  Benning isn't going to go into next year with an unproven backup with a concussion history and some throw away recycled UFA to fill in the gap until Demko is ready.  Demko may never be ready.  It's not going to happen.  We have insurance in case Markstrom starts a decline sooner than we think.  That's DiPeitro who could be better than Demko.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ah you're right, he turned 28 in April.  It was a quiet birthday with family only and I was in Sweden...  :)

In terms of stats you're right there isn't a huge difference.  But the eye test tells me he's a better fit with Petey and Miller.  At the end of the day, just like Marky, you cannot let a top asset walk for free.  They both need to be signed.  And if that means we trade both Boeser and Demko then at least we will get something of significance back in a trade.  We can't afford to let our MVP and a former 30 goal scorer who seems to have great chemistry with our two top players just walk away with zero compensation.  That would be the worst asset management possible.  

In a salary cap world nobody walks away for free, they leave cap space.

As to the better fit, Tyler played 10 games with Petey, way too soon to declare whose better with whom..

Toffoli is an ufa, and can sign where he wants. Even if the Canucks sign him I'd prefer not not have traded Madden, a second and a conditional 4th to get him; and then Boeser to keep him.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IIRC, his isn't in effect for the ED.

Cap Friendly has him with a NMC on the team page, but if you go to their be a gm page Tyler's  deal then says M-NTC but doesn't give details. However I believe you are right.

Just now, gurn said:

Cap Friendly has him with a NMC on the team page, but if you go to their be a gm page Tyler's  deal then says M-NTC but doesn't give details. However I believe you are right.

As I said earlier, Benning's been VERY careful with not handcuffing himself for the ED with recent contracts.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We’re closer to winning a cup with our current top 6 than we would be without Boeser.

You’re simply creating one hole to fill another.

Only way to fix the D is through drafting and developing.

Yes and no. Timing the drafting and development of players to fit this group perfectly is the challenge. So while what you're saying may be true, it's difficult and not the only route.

Say hypothetically, we trade Boeser and upgrade the defense. You have a hole in the top 6, but someone like Virtanen could break out in a bigger role. Someone like Podkolzin could come in later in the year and fit right in and take off after a couple of pro years in the 2nd best men's league. Maybe Lind continues his profession in development and finds a groove. So in a sense, we have already drafted and potentially developed a "replacement" in the top 6 while it's very tough to say we have that solution at RD (I'm hopeful for Tryamkin though).

Either way, there's no one route to make the playoffs and that's why I have no problem with the discussion that management may have to consider a Boeser trade. It's simply management covering their bases. In the end, we could still go with this group, but I still believe that defense and goaltending will need to be addressed before Toffoli as he's a luxury piece considering the same argument above in regards of a top 6 potential replacement in the system already.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Actually Yes, trades can happen even after the trade deadline, the only thing is players traded/acquired after the deadline are ineligible to play in playoffs and for the rest of that season with their new team.  So if the Canucks by chance lost in the play-ins they can make trades with any team most likely a team not in the playoffs.

Edited by KariyaSakicAnderson