The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild | August 4th, 2020 | 7:45pm PT, SNP | SCQ Game #2

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 minute ago, stawns said:

While everyone wants to win, this series is about the experience, the outcome is secondary.  I want them to come out and play a better game.

I sure hope Jake gets in on some of that........"experience". :towel:

I watched the last 7 minutes of the game (still had on PVR), and with less than 5 minutes left, the Canucks got a PP. It wasn’t good, Gaudette was in the slot for a prime shot at the net and he gives a hard pass to Boeser in the corner ??? Gaudette also missed the mark and MIN got the puck back. Then after being unable to manage a shot on net, the Canucks pulled Markstrom and actually had some chances. But again, they couldn’t get any quality shots on net. Pettersson had a chance with a one-timer, but his stick exploded.

I don’t think MIN is the type of team who become frustrated and play emotional. They are a well-oiled, disciplined team, so having a guy like Roussel running around taking cheap shots (and then taking penalties) is a terrible game plan. His antics even got him tossed from the game with less than a minute left. That’s not how the Canucks are going to beat the Wild.

I think the Canucks can beat these guys. They looked bad at times in Game 1 (especially the off-the-mark passes and giveaways), so I hope they play a lot better than that in Game 2. They need Horvat, Miller, Toffoli, Pearson and Ferland to play their best. If they can ALL do that, they have a chance.  

OUT - Gaudette

IN - Virtanen

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

While everyone wants to win, this series is about the experience, the outcome is secondary.  I want them to come out and play a better game.

Experience is an overrated thing. It’s important but some people on these forums seem to hold it to this mythical status that somehow having post season experiance means played just magically become winners.

you need to create a winning mentality and from that you gain experience and learn where you fell short. Going in to ‘just get experience’ doesn’t create this, nor is it an attitude of a winning team or one that wants to win

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Ok ladies and gents. We’ve all been focusing on the negatives too much. 

let’s consider some of the bright spots:

1) our young core officially got their first taste of the playoffs together. That is HUGE! they kept us competitive for the entirety of the season and got us to this point. They’re young but they are hungry. I mean did you see petey putting his head down and battling through all that crap like a champ? So let’s keep on believing in them. We know that wasn’t their best, we know what they can do when they’re skating fast and making quick plays. Considering that they will be together for (hopefully) many  more years to come this is a great opportunity for them to push themselves to a whole another level. I’m so excited to witness their growth!

2) Everyone is healthy after game 1. This is great news, Ferland showed that he is ready to go, the team dished out  40 hits compared to Wilds 26.  We took some big hits too, but kept on battling and getting back up. 

3)the kids kept it clean the vets not so much. All of our infractions were by vets with “experience”. The young guns kept their cool and played an entire playoff game without taking dumb penalties..

4) we owned the wild in the f/o dot winning 59% of the draws. That’s a great start now just need to hold on to pucks and make plays. Example is the Avs game during the regular season:

5) we haven’t even iced our best lineup. This is the roster that showed tremendous chemistry together in the past: 

46646084-8F9A-4F67-92AF-542389BE8BE7.thumb.png.55075cc1a374fab743e426177c3197d7.png12D3F758-7F71-46E6-8430-2E99408EAB50.thumb.jpeg.95e7f7b35e0008846c0aa0c3a3d10a5d.jpeg

6) we have 3 fresh bodies that are ready to unleash fury on the wild. Did you watch the highlight above? See JV with that big boy hit? That’s the way to play the wild. Last time I checked this is a best of 5 series. Wild won’t last. 

Can you think of any other positives I missed? 

You forgot that we need more fans like you. Looking at the positives and being supportive, rather than finding any negativity and wanting to fire everyone. Its our first year of being competitive and  being able to challenge for playoffs with a lot of new faces in the lineup.

Stalock stood on his head and made a lot of big saves. 
Marky let in one soft one, however he made 4-5 key saves to keep it a close game. They scored 2/3 goals on the power play... We didnt see power play time. 5v5 we had the better chances. Tonight will show what we can do

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

Experience is an overrated thing. It’s important but some people on these forums seem to hold it to this mythical status that somehow having post season experiance means played just magically become winners.

you need to create a winning mentality and from that you gain experience and learn where you fell short. Going in to ‘just get experience’ doesn’t create this, nor is it an attitude of a winning team or one that wants to win

What?  That's a ridiculous statement.  It usually takes a core several playoff runs before they become serious contenders.

• Cheers 2

It's the vets that were the real disappointment imo - Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Toffoli, etc. all need to step it up big time.  I have faith that Green will make the necessary adjustments.  Go Nucks: 3 - 1, EP40 1g 1a

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

It's the vets that were the real disappointment imo - Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Toffoli, etc. all need to step it up big time.  I have faith that Green will make the necessary adjustments.  Go Nucks: 3 - 1, EP40 1g 1a

Beagle had a solid game, as did Sutter.  Roussel not so much, but par for the course.  I'd say aside from Beagle and Sutter, the entire fwd group was not good at all 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

What?  That's a ridiculous statement.  It usually takes a core several playoff runs before they become serious contenders.

I agree about the Experience but what I am looking at is those players who have that extra gear at this time of year and are willing to step up their game. Petey showed he is willing to sacrifice his own body and stepped up. I also seen Boeser put in that extra effort as well. 

I am not expecting miracles just a hard fought game where the team lays it on the line. If they come up short after that, so be it. 

Some season face off statistics...

Above 50% Face Off

Miller

Horvat

Beagle

45-50% Face Off

Sutter

40-45% Face Off

EP

Gaudette

EP has help with Miller taking the draws.  Gaudette had nobody.  Think Gaudette needs Sutter on his line or maybe shift to RW.

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I've been in support of what Loui brings to the table (cap aside). It's just weird to see that people are pushing for it after all the vitriol sent his way.

Similarly to Jake, after years and years of some posters running him down, the spin now seems to be that he would be a key piece in righting this ship.

Also for OJ as well. There's just so much positive talks about him in the last couple of weeks to the point where he's viewed as a potential boost for us in this series. It's very unusual given the talks of him over the past season and beyond.

All these "hated" players are now the guys the Green needs to play or he's supposedly an "idiot". Go figure.

Mostly from people that can't seem to remain objective.  Just sway with the current emotions like reeds in the wind.

Edited by Knucklehd
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

You get experience as a by product of competing, you don't go with the goal of experience. You also need to build on a team. A team can be a bubble team and get into the playoffs as the last seed for years, gain a ton of experience but never progress. Because the management don't invest in the right players, make the right decsiions, and just are happy to be there. To win you need a winning mentality that permeates through the club