The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Thanks for helping set the tone Michael. Might be time to hang up the skates buddy. Appreciate your heart and determination but if this is head related you should opt out. Maybe there is a future in broadcasting for ya. Seems like every former Canuck is doing it now. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks for helping set the tone Michael. Might be time to hang up the skates buddy. Appreciate your heart and determination but if this is head related you should opt out. Maybe there is a future in broadcasting for ya. Seems like every former Canuck is doing it now. 

Ya I think its time he goes on IR, Collect that money and think about life after hockey.  its a long one and you have to be able to enjoy it.  Love the Heart and the drive.

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Damn. He's done. Gotta give kudos for the heart to try and come back. 

I remember when Dorsett came back after his neck injury.  He took a whole year off.  When he came back he had like 4 fights in the first 18 games.  After the 4th fight he retired a few days later.  He herniated a disc in his neck again.  These guys only know one way to play.  It's how they got into the league.  They will go out swinging...

8 minutes ago, billabong said:

Didn’t ferland block a shot? I thought this was a foot injury

5 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Could still be a foot injury? Maybe a really bad one that won’t recover in time for a deep playoff run?

People keep mentioning this and I don't remember it.

Listening to IMac on the post game show last night and he said he went back to review his game 2 shifts and didn't see anything that stood out. His words, not mine. Sometimes I think there could be a bear running around on the ice and he wouldn't see it.

9 minutes ago, billabong said:

Didn’t ferland block a shot? I thought this was a foot injury

That's what the commentary team speculated yesterday, but you would think if it was an injury the team thought Ferland could recover from while the Canucks were still playing that they would keep him in the bubble.

Ferland leaving the bubble suggests that the Canucks think he won't be able to recover in time to play even if they make it to the Cup Finals. Could be a variety of things, but naturally the speculation will gravitate towards his concussion issues. Really unfortunate in any event.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And he was brought back and played 8 minutes. Hardly game changing stuff. Playing Loui 20+ minutes was the bolder decision and was more of an impact.

Gaud wasn't carrying a line, he was flanked with vets in Roussel and Ferland. Gaud had been proving all season he belonged, no reason to have been concerned about him being on the opening roster for the playoffs.

Injuries may have helped with these decisions, but having the depth to call upon to not have to be forced into playing players with knocks, even minor ones, is an asset that can be utilized. Green has already said "some of" Gaud, Roussel, Ferland and Toffoli will be back skating, so if Gaud and/or Toffoli are back on the ice already, then they probably could've played if needed.

Who would've been taken off the team on opening night for Jake anyway? If it's the usual suspect in Sutter, then who would've replaced his PK center time? If it's Gaudette, we would hear the same noise about sitting out a player that had arguably better offensive numbers than Jake and had also been proving himself all year. If it's Roussel, then would you be playing Jake with Gaudette? IMO it was between Ferland and Jake (and MacEwen) for that one spot on the opening game. They went with Ferland, was that a mistake?

Jake brings way more to the table then just offense, especially during the playoffs. 

Louie is a veteran who is defensively responsible, not much of a "bold" decision. 

Jake and Louie should have been in opening night and Sutter, the veteran, should have carried the 3rd line as the center. Louie with the PK duties. 

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

So in 2 games.

4 forwards hurt....did i miss anyone.

Toffoli 

Ferland

Rooster 

and Gaudette

so each game costs 2 forwards Stormin the offense zone. its a battle so i guess there will be unfortunate casualties.

wars hell and so is bubble hockey.

I don't think Gaudette was injured. They list players off the starting lineup as unfit to play. They had Eriksson and Virtanen listed the same and they were not injured.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Big Mac would be a good replacement for Ferland...big, strong, physical, healthy, young and fast...he will bring the same thing as Ferland but more.

Hockey Gods might be making the decisions for TG...TG just has to listen to them.

Edited by Pete M
  • Like 1

On 650 they're saying they think it's concussion related and they're doubtful he'll ever suit up again.  Pure speculation from what I gather, but a talking point.

So sad.

I hated that he fought for his sake but, selfishly, loved it for ours.  He's got the heart of a warrior, even if his brain isn't cooperating.  Hope he doesn't suffer long term effects.

• Like 4

I don't get it. I thought Ferland said he wasn't going to fight anymore just for the sake of it. But then right before the faceoff, he leaned over to Foligno and challenged him. The puck dropped and they went at it. Why did he do that? To see if he could handle it? It's really too bad Ferland's career is likely done. What could've been. I hope the best for him.

When I saw him drop the gloves my first response was    "Why????    Our guys shouldn't need firing up!!!!    Crap!!!!"

I thought he came out unscathed but I guess not. Sucks for Ferland way more than us I'd imagine.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Jake brings way more to the table then just offense, especially during the playoffs. 

Louie is a veteran who is defensively responsible, not much of a "bold" decision. 

Jake and Louie should have been in opening night and Sutter, the veteran, should have carried the 3rd line as the center. Louie with the PK duties. 

And who would've been out?

No one was calling for Loui for opening night. Yet it wasn't a bold decision, right.

• Cheers 1

If he went back to Manitoba that's a pretty good sign that he's done for the year. Feel so bad for the guy. I know exactly why he fought first shift. He wanted to throw himself into the fire and test himself. Just wish someone had pulled him aside and reminded him that he is also a talented player that can score. Didn't need to fight right off the bat. But, it is his choice/his right to decide how he plays.

Look at some boxers/MMA fighters. They can take medical suspensions for up to a year. Wish the guy had just decided to give a break from fighting even a chance. 

Love Ferlands spirit but that fight was stupid.  Green should have made it clear what his role was. Hit, antagonize, pester, go to the net etc. But another staged fight that can help the other team as much as ours? Why risk that AGAIN?

We desperately need a tough guy in the lineup for those crucial times when, say, Petey or another teammate gets assaulted. When a challenge and fight mean something. Now one of our best, maybe only weapon to handle that situation for us is out. And if it’s because of yet another meaningless dumb staged fight, what a waste. I hope he’s okay, but it didn’t have to be this way. 

It seems that everyone thinks Hartman took a dive under Pettersson's retaliation and was not hurt until he hit the ice.

I think I saw a properly-placed blow to the side of the neck that was much like a "karate chop". *

Then Hartman's lights go out and his head drops to his chest and his upper body drops to the ice, limp, and head first.

'Lias nails him with the right to the neck and then Pettersson's left hand delivers the "push" that completes the knockout/knockdown.

Anybody else see it that way?

* Karate Chop:

What Does a Karate Chop to the Side of the Neck Accomplish?

SportsRec

The karate chop is one of the most iconic movements in the art of karate and many other Asian martial arts. The image of a karate master chopping a bad guy on the neck to make him collapse is a part of popular culture. However, what that chop actually does when it hits the side of the neck is more complex than the movies imply. A properly placed karate chop can cause, pain, disorientation and loss of consciousness. It could also have more serious consequences.

Chop Basics

A karate chop is a hand strike where the karateka hits a target with the side of his hand, between the top of the wrist and the bottom of the pinkie. This is generally called a sword hand or knife hand by practitioners of the art. A karate chop has two main advantages over a punch. The side of the hand is much less fragile than the knuckles when unprotected, and you can reach different angles -- such as the side of the neck -- that you wouldn't be able to with a punch.

Pain

The neck is an important part of your body. It supports the head and contains arteries that supply blood to the brain. It's also very sensitive to impact because it is not protected by bones like the chest, head and face. Getting hit on the side of the neck is much more painful than being hit in the arm or chest. This pain can be enough to overwhelm somebody, especially if hit by surprise. Although the pain alone is unlikely to "take him out," it's very likely to cause at least a second or two of hesitation.

Vagus Nerve

The vagus nerve is the longest of 12 cranial nerves. It plays a crucial role in the involuntary nervous system, controlling body processes such as maintaining constant heart rate. A sufficiently hard and precise chop to the area around the vagus nerve can cause disorientation, dizziness and even unconsciousness.

Read more: The Levels of Karate Black Belts

Blood Flow

Along the front section of the side of the neck you will find the carotid artery, the vessel most responsible for bringing blood to the brain. A chop there can momentarily interrupt blood flow, much like squeezing the sides of a garden hose for a moment. Since your brain relies on blood flow to operate, this interruption has many of the same effects as a hit to the vagus nerve: disorientation, dizziness and brief loss of consciousness.

Bottom LIne

Although it looks like fun in the movies, an effective chop to the side of the neck is serious business. It can knock someone out cold and may cause more serious damage if the blood supply to the brain is cut off, or if there is injury to the spinal cord. It can be very useful for self-defense, and experienced practitioners of karate understand how, when and where to perform the move.