The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah and this is unfortunate. I am not happy for harking on Jake but time is running out. Guys like Mac/Motte proving capable in the bottom 6 while guys like Lind/Pod/Hog loom on the horizon.

Jake has the attributes to do so much more than a guy like Motte but we don't ever see that consistently. He needs to be able to do more than score to be effective and he will get more ice time, barring shortened benches and special teams.

Motte seriously needs more credit than what he deserves. The guy has been an absolute monster since game 1.  I know Horvat, EP40, Quinn is getting all the praise but Motte has been one of our best players during these playoffs. Im so glad we have him for another here for less than a mill. He's reinvented himself from a scorer in college to an a bulldog on a PK.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Motte seriously needs more credit than what he deserves. The guy has been an absolute monster since game 1.  I know Horvat, EP40, Quinn is getting all the praise but Motte has been one of our best players during these playoffs. Im so glad we have him for another here for less than a mill. He's reinvented himself from a scorer in college to an a bulldog on a PK.

The announcers have been bringing him up...during the MIN a series and at the start of this one (his hitting mostly)...this guy is definitely getting noticed.   What a great trade and remember at the time how disappointed the CDC was we couldn’t even get a 4th for Vanek (and hoping for a 2nd).   He’s proved to be a 2nd that’s a home run since he got here. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

The problem is Jake Allen actually has better numbers this year.  Please keep Binny as the starting goalie

Said it before game one the only thing that scares me about these guys is Allen.    In the play-ins he kept it a 1–1 tie right until the shoot-out and he’s got a MAF vibe to me - as in he’s the better goalie but under appreciated... hope I’m wrong.   That said we won two Binnington games - and really only one of those goals was a bad one - the rest were tough saves ... so I still think we can beat Allen.   Tonight will be our toughest challenge yet ... St Louis going down 3-0 might not be a good thing for our teams health but it sure would be awesome to see.    No way they could dig their way out of that.   Feel that with the last change our top line will start to take this one over completely...the refs need to cut it out though.   They are embarrassing themselves out there. 

Markstrom is probably our best bet at this point to close this out in 5.  Needs to the absolute best.   Feel he showed a weakness last game that he tends to get out of position on pressure plays and sure the Blues will be all over him tonight and try and expose that.  Also sure that he’s been briefed and will clean that up.  

Huge game tonight - need our man the GDT “The Streak” to keep up the good work, wear our game shirts and take them too the brink.   First goal will be massive this game. 

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

He has been an absolute monster on the PK. 
He is the unsung hero of this team so far. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The announcers have been bringing him up...during the MIN a series and at the start of this one (his hitting mostly)...this guy is definitely getting noticed.   What a great trade and remember at the time how disappointed the CDC was we couldn’t even get a 4th for Vanek (and hoping for a 2nd).   He’s proved to be a 2nd that’s a home run since he got here. 

cdc in a nutshell. can never see the forest for the trees. every move Benning makes they react like he's just publicly executed their favourite player only for it to work out perfectly soon after, with never so much as a mea culpa. 

• Haha 1

Just now, tas said:

cdc in a nutshell. can never see the forest for the trees. every move Benning makes they react like he's just publicly executed their favourite player only for it to work out perfectly soon after, with never so much as a mea culpa. 

That’s hilarious but true.   After last year and watching QHs I will never again say one thing about his draft pick choices and really should have learned that lesson after EP showed up.   Wanted Glass or Valardi instead.  Then wanted Bouchard (who I still think will play 1000 games and have a heck of a career starting next season,  with on the point in EDM he will rack up the stats) ... then hoped Podz would slip and we got him.   Still thought the Miller trade was odd at the time and one year too soon but then he went out and singed all those guys and was like “ahhh now I get it “.   Like TG this guys got plans.    And now PS plus 3 (post Sedin 3 ha ha) we’ve just won 5 games in a row, a series against a top defensive team and almost have St Louis defending cup champs on the ropes.   None of this would be possible without Motte, Sutter, Beagle, Myers and even LE.    Glad we finally have a playoff to truly analyze JBs work on this team and so far it’s all aces.   TG was also considered questionable - but how many folks really new how this guy put in his time like he’d never played an NHL game in his life and needed to earn every single advancement.   He’s tireless and worked his butt off.   And most importantly went through exactly what you want your coach to as far as paces go for former players both during his career and after.    Calgary also was interest as we’re several teams - thank god he went to Utica and not somewhere else or we also wouldn’t be here today.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I always try to keep perspective. If fans reflect back on where this org was 4 years ago and where they are now it is amazing. Keeping that perspective I take these playoff games for what they truly are, a evaluation and development opportunity. Fans will get excited, especially if the team moves past the first round, but the real goal is still 2 - 3 years out. Benning is faced with some hard decisions as he evaluates how some players fit and others do not. Players who do not fit will be moved, hopefully for a return. CAP restrictions will force some players out. Two more seasons and this group should be serious CUP contenders. As fans we have enjoyed the past few years as prospects became players and now we can see the true molding of a CUP contender.  

Absolutely.   The only thing I’d like to add is since EP and QHs arrived and then Miller trade and Myers and a whole pile of support I got it right away that JB had a plan behind the plan.  The plan of course this year publicly was to “play meaningful games and make the playoffs so the kids get a taste etc.”  The plan behind the plan is to create a team with huge depth to possible take advantage of our prime cap years with this core - which is factually this year and next year.   

Both PIT and CHI did this - PIT two final appearances and one cup - then their core was signed they lost all their depth and had to wait a long time before the won again although for sure they were competitive on the way.   CHI won a cup with Toews on their ELCs too, and I’d argue they never again had that sort of depth, that team was absolutely stacked (2010), of course it wasn’t even the best version that was when their kids were in their prime during their last cup....

What im trying to say is first I completely agree with you and our window is while these guys are on their second contracts (hope they are reasonable ones though) we will have our window at its widest and should contend for years.   But I’d also like to point out we have another window right now and next year too - at least cap wise we do.   And JB has created a team deeper then most - it’s packed full of middle six guys - one goes down another comes in fresh and raring to go etc.   I don’t expect us to win a cup ... we aren’t like CHI or PIT was right?  Or maybe we are...at least a dark horse like most media is already behind right now.    We get past the Blues then we have Vegas waiting - yet another powerhouse western team.  Get by them then likely COL.   Seems impossible really.    It did in 94 too ... at least for until we disposed of Dallas easily ... and especially after TO who was supposedly a contender too (and CAL was most definitely a contender)...

Hockey is full of surprises.  I’m already content with this season.  We showed many times we could beat the best ... also showed we are a young team that loses confidence.   But when we are on we are can play like a top team, that’s for sure showing that contending is definitely in the future.   And maybe right now too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/15/2020 at 12:07 AM, DollarAndADream said:

I like Chatfield as a prospect but you have to think it'll very likely be Benn, if not Juolevi.

I like and more importantly Green likes a RH D to play Meyers spot, Benn can  but he is a LH player.  It'll be very interesting to see how he plays this injury :)

14 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

I have to admit, if I didn't love the Canucks so very much, I would have left this game long behind due to the frustrating officiating.  The joke of professional sports 

Honestly, same. I like other teams but if I didn't love the Canucks I'd drop the NHL like a hot potato. I absolutely loathe in game management. As in, to the point where it's not good for my blood pressure, 

13 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Pass interference and what constitutes a catch is still a crap shoot most days. Holding penalties are another one that's up for interpretation. They could probably call holding on most plays if there was a way to analyze all players in real time. Bad calls are the hot topics of most NFL boards after games, especially after a loss. Game management is not just an NHL issue. 

This.

Were there missed calls in the game? Yes. Did they happen to favor the Blues in this case? Yes. Bad calls happen, especially in a game that moves this fast.

But any idea that the league or the refs are "out to get" the Canucks is just stupid.

11 hours ago, xereau said:

Now you know why Benning nearly crapped himself when no one picked him.

Yep. I remember he couldn't get to the podium and say Quinn's name fast enough....the he looked like a kid with a brand new XBox One on the way back to the table...

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This.

Were there missed calls in the game? Yes. Did they happen to favor the Blues in this case? Yes. Bad calls happen, especially in a game that moves this fast.

But any idea that the league or the refs are "out to get" the Canucks is just stupid.

You're basing this on what exactly? If you have any special insider knowledge on this issue then please share it. Otherwise that's just your opinion. Which of course you are entitled to. However, 3 of what you label "missed calls" actually happened in full view of the ref, meaning they did not miss them so much as chose not to call what was obviously an egregious infraction. That is at best game (mis)management and at worse more proof of incompetency and/or bias. 

5 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

You're basing this on what exactly? If you have any special insider knowledge on this issue then please share it. Otherwise that's just your opinion. Which of course you are entitled to. However, 3 of what you label "missed calls" actually happened in full view of the ref, meaning they did not miss them so much as chose not to call what was obviously an egregious infraction. That is at best game (mis)management and at worse more proof of incompetency and/or bias. 

I'm basing it on over 50 years in the game as a player, coach and referee...

.....plus the fact that I'm not an idiot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm basing it on over 50 years in the game as a player, coach and referee...

.....plus the fact that I'm not an idiot.

So your "proof" their is no anti-Canuck bias is that you claim you spent 50 years in the game? Also, anyone who thinks the refs are biased is apparently an idiot? I thought personal attacks weren't allowed on these boards?

*there

Edited by buddhahoodlum
don't want to p!ss off the grammar police