The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, hockey is a team sport and the goaltender is part of the team.  Isn't that what happened during last year's playoffs when the Binnington bailed the Blues out a few times?

The comeback started just after the halfway mark of the 2nd.  3 unanswered goals and holding the opposition at bay for the entire 3rd period (without 2 of your top 4 dmen) shows a lot of character and dare I say it...Moxie.  This is something that has been lacking in our team for quite some time.

As I said earlier:  when the Nucks are playing their fast - paced, high energy, tape to tape game; they are very difficult to play against.  At the moment, they haven't learned to play this way consistently.  Fortunately, that will improve with time.

Never been a fan of the "If it wasn't for the goalie, we would have lost" routine....

If it wasn't for Tim Thomas, the Canucks would have a Cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Weird moment during the 2nd intermission with the 6-pack panel. I think it was Friedman who was talking about Brendan Gallagher taking that cross-check to the face, mouth filled with blood and missing teeth, they say he's got a fractured jaw.

And then Ron MacLean, totally changes the subject and pulls out two hockey cards of the Stewart brothers (Chris and Anthony) and goes on some kind of brotherly hockey card collecting rant lol

What a tool, Hope Gallagher is alright. 

Ron MacLean is such a weirdo.  His schtick is old and tired. I hope they ditch him like they did cherry.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Never been a fan of the "If it wasn't for the goalie, we would have lost" routine....

Exactly.  That envy-laced little thing Hrudey went on last night looked an awful lot like full leakage.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I, for the record, will not apologize if the Canucks win this series because Markstrom was better than Binnington/Allen.

4 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Next round sucks will be awesome either way  lol

But I would rather have Col

FIFY.  Let's get one more win against St Louis before we get too interested in the next round but it definitely isn't going to suck if we get there.  We've got nothing to lose and all the pressure will be on them (either Col or Vegas).  And besides if we want to be a good team, and we're pretty darn close to being there already, we have to take on all comers.  I'm not scared of either one of the Avs or Knights.  Bring 'em on I say, though we still have to focus on finishing off the Blues first.  Awesome win last night, let's keep it going.  Go Canucks Go!

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It is scary... just not for us ::D  his slapshot has already come leaps and bounds this year.

I thought I might be getting ahead of myself when they drafted him and I hoped he'd become this franchise's equivalent of Brian Leetch.

He's already erased any anxieties about over-projecting him.

He's brought pretty much an instant veteran level of composure to that unreal skillset.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

It’s easy to be super critical, Canucks played a great team game against a Stanley Cup Champion last night and won in regulation. You are way off if you think Nucks were dominated 80% of the game, at least be real. I call a spade a spade and it’s clear you’re not a fan or a believer in this team, but the game I watched last night saw 2 teams wanting to win and both teams not have great moments in the game. The boys scored 3 goals in the 2nd to take lead and then work their butts off right to the end to put the Blues in a position of elimination. Let’s Goooooo! :towel:

Some are more subtle then others but I’m sure considering this is the most active and best site for folks to talk hockey and of course be Canucks fans in the world that we have a few catfish - gas lighters - etc plus some people are just negative about everything and can’t help themselves.   And for sure some aren’t even fans of the Canucks at all and are only here to troll us.   Things are a whole lot different then when I grew up - we went and watched the game at a sports bar and you knew who the enemy was as soon as they cheered when a goal was scored on us.  

Think the mods do a good job.   That said I’ve considered making a thread for a few folks that just keep b!tchin and whining win or lose and post a chronological view of what they are saying just to shame them... that’s mean and I’m too lazy so won’t bother.    Funny thing - enforcers exist in every group to keep ethics on line or in check.  And there is a difference between a devils advocate and an outright full of malice contributor.  Some are cute and smart and say enough nice things .... if it feels wrong it usually is and yes I’ve also smelt the stink on the poster your calling out too.   Thankfully there aren’t too many.  

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

If it wasn't just lastnight I'd agree with you, but it's an every game thing with Green. This guy always sits on 1 goal leads in the 3rd and it burns us so much. Idk how you can say CLEARLY when the puck is hidden. That's the opposite of "clearly". The goal didnt count so its whatever. My point about sitting on a lead is still valid, and yall know that and that's why yall are so focused on the goal that didnt count/go in to try and make my point invalid. That shot in game 2 with under 10 seconds left went in, this game we are very lucky it didnt happen again. That's all I'm saying. Letting a team come at you without pressuring the puck carrier on a team with no goalie in net is going to  cost you more than itll reward you. 

Unless you like nail biting finishes, you should be doing everything to get the EASY goal instead of relying on your goalie to make the HARD saves

I think you are confusing "sitting on a lead" with "defending a lead when the other team is pushing".

If the Canucks, with 10 minutes left and a one goal lead were to just dump the puck in and not send anyone to forecheck but rather just sit back and let the blues come to them, then yes you would be correct in your assessment that they are sitting on a lead.

With 6 minutes to go, the Blues started to push meaning sending more forwards deep, taking more chances, pinching, etc..  The Canucks have no choice but to fall back and cover them. If the game was tied, the Blues would not be pushing so hard since you run a greater risk of an odd man rush going the other way.  So what appears to be the Canucks, "sitting back" is actually "defending the push".  With a minute left, the Blues pull their goaltender and get an extra skater on putting more pressure to defend.  The Blues by taking more chances, may lead to more chances the other way.  Miller had 2 shots at an empty net.  

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It is scary... just not for us ::D  his slapshot has already come leaps and bounds this year.

We've had the luxury of watching him all year and the things he does each game still amazes me. Watching him skate in and break ankles, evade checks and break out from the d-zone with ease, or gain the zone with his silky skating... the list goes on and on.

Can't believe we finally have an elite defenceman on this team, and it's hard to believe that he is a freaking rookie! He has the ability to put up 70+ points year after year for the next 15 years. Hopefully he and this core will be able to capture a cup (or a few) along the way.

• Huggy Bear 1

The power play is in a bit of a funk. 0/11 since Miller fired that laser in game 3 on a semi breakaway, which was not off any kind of set up.  At that point we were at an unsustainable clip of 6/10.  PP needs to get back to scary, top 10 in the league levels. If that happens, we will win this series. The Blues will take more shots and maybe win the time of possession stat, but we put more goals on the scoreboard. 3rd most in the playoffs so far. Shot differential in the playoffs has us 3rd worst.  Probably something we have to live with in general.

They don't have Quinn Hughes or any facsimile thereof.  

If you picked the 5 fastest skaters on the ice in this series would 4 out of 5 be Canucks?  Schwartz, Virt, Hughes, Petterson, Motte? Go to the next tier of 5.  Who on their team is faster than Bo, Gaudette, Roussel?  Schenn, Kyrou?  Speed.  

Marky playing like this is, at worst, a wash with Binnington/Allen. One more night like last night, edge to the Canucks. 

Edler sat out 3rd and might have a little more jump Friday because of it rather than playing his usual big minutes.  Fantenberg and Benn solidified their spots although I would like to see a more offensive minded D in there.  Too risky now to go with Chatfield, Juolevi or Rafferty.  If someone gets dinged up in game 6 they get their chance.  

We are the home team Friday.  Maybe you go with a more offensive minded set up as people can be a little protected.  Gaudette brings more offensive skill than Macewen so probably you stick with him.  

Petey, Miller, Virt

Pearson Bo Boeser

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle Erickson/Macewen 

I guess Ferland or Toffoli are out for now.  Myers looked pretty hurt in the celebration video.  They will be without Tarasenko, Steen, and of course Bouwmeester is not playing.  So injuries seem like a wash.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

We cannot blame the refs last night. On Motts second goal there could have been a penalty and JT Miller's goal should have been no goal. I cannot believe Berube didn't challenge it. Just goes to show what a good PP can do. He was definitely afraid of giving Vancouver a PP.  If you watch the replay of the JT Miller goal Allen has the puck under his glove and Miller pushes it out... I was sure it was coming back. 

I just saw a little piece of the edge of his glove on the puck. He never had possession. Berube was a solid player and knows how that goes.

I wonder if blues fans are complaining about officiating today?