The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Come on brother nothing easy about that series 

ya  if we won game 3 in ot we would have swept them  they got out worked  out hustled  blues had lead in games for less than 2 periods we def beat them easily    off to next round  i feel like teams clicking like when we beat bruins 9-3  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

AP would be a nice get but don't think JB wants to get into cap trouble.  EP40 and Huggy Bear will need to get paid.  So there's only so much $$ to go around.

He just confirmed that he'd rather work from within than go the free agency route.  I feel it's wise...at least to avoid big payouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm sure everything has already been said....I just wanted to post an observation:

Over the course of these playoffs, (as well as much of the regular season) the Lottery line has sometimes frustrated me by passing up good shooting opportunities in favor of trying to make the extra "perfect" pass that sets up a tap in....

...but every once in a while, we see it result in a goal like Stecher's from last night.....

Pure magic and I'd bet that Hank and Dan were thinking "that's how it's done" when they saw it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whcanuck said:

It’s funny, back when the Hawks torched us in 2009 & 2010, or the Bruins beating us in 2011, it was “Luongo was horrendous in these series at critical times, the Hawks and Bruins tore him apart and made him look really bad.” In this series it’s “Binnington is a sieve, anyone could have scored on him.” It’s absurd, the Canucks never win because of great play, it’s “the other team was terrible” or it was “gift-wrapped.” Believe me, living in the USA, the American media is giving full credit to the Canucks for exposing the Blues. 

I agree, to some degree.

But it also really highlights the importance of goaltending in the playoffs.  I mean, the flipside is that Marky is on point and that matters.

I've always said it comes down to many things:  goaltending, health/injuries (funny that when we're fairly health we're "in it"...doubters in the season won't even factor in missing pieces if we fall off a bit...we suck and Green and Benning have to go), officiating (but you do have to learn to work around it), momentum/confidence, coaching and skillset.

But Binnington didn't help them any, that's for sure.  With that, he was pulled so he wasn't "the reason"...we were.  :)  It's kind of like when Berube tried to claim the loss and the outcome as their deal rather than giving us any credit for the win.  As if they had another gear that they didn't use but should have.  Nope.  We were better...more composed and resilient.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're ignoring one thing....chemistry.

Tanev's played a HUGE role for Quinn....kept things nailed down so Quinn could slide in and do his stuff.  Sutter too, in the leadership he brings.  TT isn't as securely rooted but, don't get me wrong, this team also "works" because the guys all buy in to one another.  Egos are in check and they're super strong as a unit.  Sometimes you pull a guy called "Dad" (well, apparently Tequila too) and it can change the face of that.  As with the crowd noise...sure...a team will have to adapt and good ones will.  But if you don't have to go there, do you? 

Don't fix it when it ain't broke.  Down the road, sure...but I don't like these conversations right now.  We're in this thing...the guys who got us there deserve more respect in my mind.  I ain't passing on them just yet.

Maybe the proposals is a better spot for that discussion anyway?  AP is still the enemy to me.  

I am not ignoring chemistry. I am concerned with Tanev's ability to say healthy. If you look at the course of his career he plays around 55 games.. Same boat with Sutter, these past years, he can't stay healthy. Bringing in a guy who is light years better than them both and is more durability is not going to hurt the team even if by fluke he gets injured cause odds are Tanev and Sutter will miss 30 games next year each. WIth Toffoli we don't really know the impact he has on the team. The sample size is too small.

Signing Tanev to 5m will be a mistake in my eyes. Gaudette has to be that 3rd line centre so Sutter should be the out man out. We are still a young team and you have to let guys like Gaudette grow. It's either Sutter or Beagle and I prefer Beagle.

12 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

A bunch of us may be tempted now to dunk on others and naysayers but you know what &^@# it! Tonight’s all about celebration end of the day we are all fans we are all Canucks baby!

Oh believe me I was tempted. I agree. It’s a time for celebration. 

• Cheers 2

You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
And there's a cold lonely light that shines from you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

And did you think this fool could never win
Well look at me, I'm coming back again
I got a taste of love in a simple way
And if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away

Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

I don't know if this has already been post but AP was one of the few Blues to give credit to Canucks.  I think he'd be down with coming to Vancouver:

"You could see they were hyped up for this series," Blues captain Alex Pietrangelo said. "They're a good team. They've got good young players, veteran guys who really contribute, and they played us well. We've got to find a way to adapt to these teams. They'll have success. It's a good, young core over there."

Alex is a lot more of a man then his coach 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

I don't know if this has already been post but AP was one of the few Blues to give credit to Canucks.  I think he'd be down with coming to Vancouver:

"You could see they were hyped up for this series," Blues captain Alex Pietrangelo said. "They're a good team. They've got good young players, veteran guys who really contribute, and they played us well. We've got to find a way to adapt to these teams. They'll have success. It's a good, young core over there."

Him and Hughes, if only we had the cap space 

But things are already gonna be tight

If you’re a drunk, a drinking game during the Vegas series that could be fun is to drink each time Stetcher falls down. 

No taking anything away from this little lion, but he was looking like Raymond out there against the Blues, constantly impersonating the Zamboni. 

Vegas’ forwards will be not just hitting, but hitting to hurt.

Good thing the D corps are relatively deep with serviceable Dmen. I suspect the physical toll of the playoffs to manifest at D during this series.

Canuck Nation is about to witness the absolute of having a deep Dcore, built for playoff hockey, which JB understands and why nobody should ever bitch about Benn again on these boards. Fanta is no exception either. 

Which ever team advances, will do so on crutches, IMO. 

This will be an entertaining series of throwback playoff hockey! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

After sleeping on it, 

I came up with the age of our young guns compared to the last time we were in the playoff is so unreal

I mean, the Sedin's were in there late 20's in 2011, where our young guns are in their early 20's

Dare I say we will have a much longer window, if we can keep them together, with all the cap restraint's 

That excites me as much as anything else, especially with the prospects we still have to arrive

Yup...that's how Boston was built and they are relevant for a long time.

7 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Not on drugs, you know a goalie can do other things to minimize scoring chances? He could have come out more to cut out the angle on the beagle goal. Rousell goal was another he read badly. You can't tell me that Binnington played like a total sieve this series?

It's zero to do with the series before last night and he was out of position because of the turn over as any goalie would have been.. I've played hockey in the BCHL and it's never as people seem to think, go back to the game highlights and actually have a look at the goals again and you'll see what I mean.