The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Win the series?!  Win a game?!  How 'bout we score a goal?!

Reminds me of Jim Mora

I don't think Vegas is worried about waking Petey. He looked like a kid in over his head in Game 1. He's just not strong enough yet on his skates. Vegas is a big team.  I do think this will be a huge moment for Petey though, in that it will motivate him to eventually become one of the best players in the world. Same with Hughes, huge learning experience. If Virtanen could become half the player Tuch is, he'd be doing just fine.   

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He's already been the coach to get us to the next level, seeing as how this is our first time being in the 2nd round in 9 years.

Exactly and that is with a largely Green lineup. :P  Lets see what we can do in games 2,3,4 hopefully 5 and possibly 6 or 7.

Vegas played the game they wanted to. Vancouver appeared intimidated with the opening puck drop. We all know they can play better so let's wait for Tuesday. On the bright side I thought Jake had a pretty decent game. A few hits and some shots on net. Jake has to play big and it appears that he is learning that in these playoffs. No matter what anyone says, 'size does matter', in CUP play. :) 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Imac just said on SPN650 that the Knights were laughing on the bench then you have Lehner tweeting this. 

Green better use these as bulletin board material. 

Interesting use of the swords. Lol. I know its an alt logo but interesting :D

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Vegas played the game they wanted to. Vancouver appeared intimidated with the opening puck drop. We all know they can play better so let's wait for Tuesday. On the bright side I thought Jake had a pretty decent game. A few hits and some shots on net. Jake has to play big and it appears that he is learning that in these playoffs. No matter what anyone says, 'size does matter', in CUP play. :) 

When permitted to use size, sure.

Myers was a big guy.   When we play "big" we're penalized.  Just how it is.  

Charging and boarding seem to be all but gone from the rule books for some teams who can run around all game long.  Blues, Bruins, Golden Boys.  It's a bit of a caveman club.  Not dismissing the skill, but it's easier when you can freewheel all over the place.  We can't have those things because they come attached with ankle monitors.

We'll see how the boys respond.  I'm happy with what they've accomplished this year no matter what.  Learning curve.  But I do hope we get to see some goals as they adjust and tune out the big goof broadcast.

Reaves tallied a game-high 11 hits in 14:50, almost five minutes above his season average. Carrier finished second with nine hits in 14:40.

“He’s a factor,” DeBoer said of Reaves. “He is. And he does it without taking penalties

Lehner's first playoff shutout.  Let it be the last against us.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, mll said:

It's probably more to limit the time spent in the bubble.  It's taxing living in a bubble and being away from family - see Bowness' comments.  It's also expensive to maintain.

Yeah, they're pretty tight on time too since the season can't end later than the 2 - 5th of Oct with the draft on the 9th or something. In addition there will be the move from Toronto to Edmonton after this round which may require extra days. You always want to have a contingency with something as complicated as bubble hockey. From an NHL standpoint it's pretty important they get through this year unscathed so their thinking is probably the sooner the better. Even if a couple teams have a bit of a rough go time wise. Thus, it seems to have really paid off for Vegas to end Chi so early.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Didn't expect much tonight, hangover from an intense series going into a team in their prime who had been rested and prepared.

Let's just hope we get some rest, get some planning done and come in with a bit more even compete in Game 2 or this series will slip away from us quickly. Quite frankly if we lose the next game I don't see us going 4-2 after.

We can, and have, beat this team. They're rolling at the moment but we can stop them and are pretty evenly matched on paper IMO. On the ice they're a solid 4 line, 5 man unit though. We need to start skating more with the puck again to generate PPs that we can put these games away with. On ice we looked shocking but on paper tonight, apart from the goals, not too bad.

They play a heavy game like St. Louis but if I remember correctly, Washington beat them by zipping through them with speed and killing them on the PP. We don't quite have Carlson, Ovi and Kuznetsov but we can try and emulate them as best possible. This team can beat this Vegas team if we try not to run and gun them 5 on 5, but get it into a special teams firefight.

They are also bringing guys up to challenge Hughes more. At times they are double teaming him which will open up room and players.

Another thing I noticed was that Vegas when challenging Hughes or the D high they would also bring another player high middle cutting off the pass to the other D. I think this can be exploited too.

The Rooster, Virt, Gaud speed line were giving Vegas fits in a few places. This series is far from over.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Man what a beat down.was not impressed by Rousells antics during warmup.Theres absolutely no reason to give them any extra motivation whatsoever.Put it the rear view boys watch game tape and rest up.

This is what irks me about Rousell and why I see him as expendable. He takes stupid penalties, gets reputation calls and rarely draws a penalty through his antics - he got hit in the nuts vs the Blues and still didn't get a call.. So what's the point? I don't understand who he thinks he is fooling, you aren't going to fight Reaves so just leave him alone. If he played more like he did vs St. Louis, with speed and physicality then I'm all for it. But why poke the bear? It makes life easier if they aren't engaged, just play hard between the whistles.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Vegas won round 1. 

But this fight has MANY more rounds.....   Canucks are coming out hard in game 2 and lets see what happens.  Canucks PP is pretty lethal so we just need to draw a few early penalities and play with a lead for a bit. 

This series is FAR from over.  Canucks win game 2 and it GAME ON again.....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

They are also bringing guys up to challenge Hughes more. At times they are double teaming him which will open up room and players.

Another thing I noticed was that Vegas when challenging Hughes or the D high they would also bring another player high middle cutting off the pass to the other D. I think this can be exploited too.

The Rooster, Virt, Gaud speed line were giving Vegas fits in a few places. This series is far from over.

For sure they are over-comiting on Hughes.  Just need to draw up some plays to exploit that.  Action-reaction. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks PP is pretty lethal so we just need to draw a few early penalities and play with a lead for a bit. 

Can we serve the refs a few drinks pregame?  Loosen 'em up a bit?

They took one tripping penalty.  I'm convinced they could have had at least 4 more of various assortment.  The call on Edler was WEAK.  So it's a bit of stumbling block.  Officiating matters (to some degree in setting a tone).

But I've given up on caring about "the things they control".  I just enjoy watching the boys now and know the future is bright.  

I agree with exploiting their over reactions though.  Yep, 100%

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/corey-hirsch-breaks-went-wrong-game-one-canucks/

Let's hear what he thinks....

Remembers that during the  season they beat us then we came back to beat them in OT a few nights later.  Is doable.

Lehner the icing on Vegas' cake.

Strides team has taken are awesome.

They can play WAY better than what they played last night.....after ROR dominated a game, they came back and won two in a row.

Vegas primed and ready for a SC.

More surprised about Friday or last night?  "Friday night".  

Shared Stevie Y story:  Scotty B pulled Stevie aside...you're a great player, you get all these points but if you want to be a great player you've gotta play D".

Cheating/leaning in to offensive side...gotta back off, play d first.  That has to be the mentality against Vegas.

Vegas in front of their goalie/rebounds....battle.  Knocking guys down.  Our net isn't the same (but we all know why...see:  Tyler Myers)

Speed & physicality aspect:  not many other teams can offer what Vegas brings (my take...or get away with what they do).  Boeser/Petey neutralized:  not a single shot.  JT had 1.  Quinn 0 and a -3.

Brock had 3 missed shots....2 scoring chances/missed the net.  "Have to hit the net".  Can't let goalie off the hook...have to make him make a save.

QH:  teammates have to help him and it's also a learning process for him.  Evasion when bogged down because he's the focus.

It will give them a focus and things to work on beyond this playoffs....good growth experience.  Playing two teams that have gone to the SCF.

Asked where happy medium is between "keeping foot on gas/pressure" and not leaning in/playing defensively.  Not all 5 guys going in.  Have to have a smart player(s) on the defensive side hanging back.  

Some thoughts on Game 1

Not our best effort last night. Whether the emotional let down from the Blues series win or not we lacked emotion, and looked the tired team.

Any advantage we had to take advantage of a sleeping giant was taken away by Rousell in the opening skate. All that did was give the Knights a reason to galvanize. We are not that type of team. We dont have the size to push Vegas around and inviting them to get into that type of game plays right into their hands. Stay away from that stuff as much as possible and play the skating game we are best suited for.

The puck has to move faster for us. We cannot try to hold onto it especially in our own zone. i know we like to play the possession game however against a team that skates as well as Vegas we will have to be satisfied at times to dump it off the wall or glass and stop the dreaded turnovers. All Vegas did last night was dump it in and go get it. They punished our D, created chaos in our end, and pressured us into doing what a young inexperienced team does in turning the puck over.

Its time to stop worrying about Reaves et al. Dont give them the time of day. Ignore him, He isnt going to take stupid penalties and put us on the power play. That's a wasted strategy. What will get us on the power play is the speed game attacking their D. 

Last night a lot of rushes were one man rushing the puck trying to beat four guys. Time to stop that. Move the puck quickly and to a player that is moving. The Tanev chance was a perfect example of what they need to do.

The telling stat was of all the shots how many came from the D. That was the issue when we lost to Minny in game 1. As long as the forwards are not getting to the net the long wrist shots are not going to beat an NHL Goalie more often than not.

I think I heard Horvats name twice last night, Millers a few more. The leaders have to get to the net.

Green says we dont throw that one away. We learn from it. I agree. If you just throw it out as a bad game then you must feel you can play the same game against them and win. We cannot do that. We must figure out a way to get the puck to the front of their net. Guess what. They know that also. They are a very good team and not going to roll over for us.

Lastly i like the idea of inserting MacEwan for Rousell. Not because we want to fight Reaves. Thats a losing battle. But because he goes to the front of the net and actually has some touch around it.

Lets get it going in Game 2.

• Cheers 1

Tuch's goal was impressive, he beat 3 Canucks to the puck, got on the breakaway and top shelf. When he first touched the puck, I said to my wife "speed kills" and then that happened. One of the commentators said something about Jake possibly being a guy who could play more like that, using his speed, and I kind of chuckled. If only. Vegas is bigger, faster, stronger, and they have better players. It'll be interesting to see Green's plan tomorrow night. I hope he has a doozy.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they're beatable too, the Canucks have beaten them before. Seeing the Knights players laughing at the Canucks from the bench, Reaves having a field day, enjoying himself with the refs, making chicken noises, etc. Roussel looked like the only Canuck to show up and give his all. Was the rest of the team planning the parade after they beat STL? I sure hope they come out better next game, Game 1 was embarrassing, as Canada's last team.

yeah the ref behaviour was pretty bad, its one thing to call a game a certain way but to pal around with players is disgusting. 

I think Rous was doing all he could to be a distraction, and the ref took that away, regardless of how good an idea it was. 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Regardless of what happens the issue is defense. We need better D. That will be tough to rectify unless you get lucky in FA.

one more high quality D would be nice for sure, I do think we're set on the bottom 4 tho. 

Even without that the guys didn't bring their a game, thats the only really disappointing part to me from last night. I'm fine with losses during a rebuild year if they put their best effort out. 

I'm fine with Roussel doing what Roussel does. Hes dragging this young team into a dogfight with him against one of the best at it. It's exactly the experience the kids need to learn to overcome. Is it the best strategy to win right now maybe not but we wont win at all if they dont learn to win the hard way.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

That was hilarious. Reaves clucking like a chicken was great tv.

Roussel shouldn't have gotten 10 for that but when it's 5-0 can't say I care.

Reaves is a pile of @#$%, he should have ended up with a unsportsman like conduct himself, and a few other penalties, but the refs decided the game right from the beginning by taking Rousel aside and not Reaves too, everyone talking and saying Vegas were the darling of the NHL makes me want to puke. next game hopefully will be a better playing field

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

We have to play mistake free, at least to the point where Marky can save us. We have to match their intensity and pounce on our chances. And we need to keep the puck moving in their direction, so quick outs. If we have to dump it in and go get it, so be it. They are good at stealing pucks, and got on Hughes pretty good, so dump it in if that's all there is, but then don't over commit, so if they turn it around, we get caught. The entire game has to be played under control at all times. It's like having a Tiger by the tail, if we can't hang on, we lose.

• Vintage 1