The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 25th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G2

Rate this topic

Roberts

17 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree with you its not balanced. 

May as well just leave it there because all the rest is just making excuses for it.  There really are none that are acceptable in games that mean so much to both teams.  They're sacrificing a lot to be in the bubble....give them a fair shake.

But it is what it is.  This is nothing new to our team and they ARE learning to adopt a play despite it all attitude to some degree.  Just wish they could just "play" without the despite part.

We'll see what tonight brings.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Roussel can turn this around. He just has to run around & hit as much as possible, but play whistle to whistle. 

Frustrate them & get Vegas to initiate the extra-cirricular stuff.  

I would have Rouss go after their stars. :D I think Alex Tuch is a guy they can frustrated if you get in his grill. he's a big dude tho lol

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Complaining about poor officiating when it more or less balances out in the end is indeed a silly pastime but when there is consistently unbalanced officiating there is a problem.  And the problem with officiating in the NHL is massive and needs to be discussed.  It's not just in Canucks games it is a league-wide problem.  It's the elephant in the room that some people can't see.

The problem as I see it is that the NHL is essentially a business first and a sports league second.  They sell an entertainment product and they try to maximize their profit by using refereeing to enhance the entertainment value.  They even more or less admit that with their "game management" BS.  Some business-minded people don't even have a problem with that.  I mean why not try to maximize profit by "enhancing" entertainment value?  The problem is that not everyone has the same idea of what constitutes entertainment.  The NHL is intent on trying to sell hockey to non hockey markets in order to grow the game and maximize their profits and people who actually care about the game (i.e. us Canadians) are consistently left out of the equation.  Personally I would rather see more integrity and respect for the game (not to mention respect for the players) instead of growth and profiteering but I don't get to make that call.  So we are stuck with NHL refereeing that approximates professional wrestling refs.  Some people don't see any problem with that.  However some people do have a problem with that and it is appropriate to say so if you actually love the game of hockey more than just making as much money as possible regardless of what it is doing to the game.  The game of hockey is interesting enough for some without having to "enhance" the spectacle factor.

The NFL on the other hand works very hard to keep penalties consistent between the regular season and the playoffs.  In the NFL a penalty is a penalty no matter the score or the time on the clock.  That is clearly not true for the NHL.  They can't even admit that the rules change for the playoffs.  Which they obviously do.  It's about time that NHL gets called out for that lie, and many more.  Once you start messing with the refereeing things go sideways, and they are going sideways in my opinion.  I still love hockey and the Canucks but the NHL is bush-league at best and probably highly corrupt.

That said, I still want the Canucks to win the mug of mugs.  Go Canucks Go!

If you genuinely feel that way then why bother watching the games? I mean if they consistently "manage" the games to the benefit of other teams why go to a Canucks game?

Referees in every sport have been criticized by teams and their fans no matter what team wins. Its pointless is my argument. You cant change it and you have to overcome it. Calling it the elephant in the room is silly because an elephant in the room is something often not discussed. This has been discussed to the point of nauseousness. The refs are humans. They make mistakes like everyone. They have biases like everyone. In sports sometimes you have to beat both the other team and the refs. Its just reality.

also the NFL has had many issues with officiating as well. The Seahawks loss in the super bowl to the Steelers, The cardinals loss in the super bowl to the Steelers , and dont even bother to go ask the Saints how they feel about the refs.... thats a long term commitment

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

If you genuinely feel that way then why bother watching the games? I mean if they consistently "manage" the games to the benefit of other teams why go to a Canucks game?

Referees in every sport have been criticized by teams and their fans no matter what team wins. Its pointless is my argument. You cant change it and you have to overcome it. Calling it the elephant in the room is silly because an elephant in the room is something often not discussed. This has been discussed to the point of nauseousness. The refs are humans. They make mistakes like everyone. They have biases like everyone. In sports sometimes you have to beat both the other team and the refs. Its just reality.

I'm suggesting that NHL refereeing is being manipulated by the management.  It's not just about the Canucks, it's league-wide.  Like I said, I believe that they are doing so because they believe they have a right to maximize their profit.  And they seem to think that by manipulating the refereeing they are making their "product" better.  I think that it is making it worse.  I don't have proof of this but that is my considered opinion after being a hockey fan for more than 50 years.  You are free to disagree and hold whatever opinion you like.

Why do I watch hockey?  Do you really need to ask that?  Just because I think that there is a problem with the way the NHL officiates its games doesn't mean that I no longer like hockey.  In fact I even went out of my way to say that in my post.  You are very close to ad hominem here and maybe you can make a stronger argument as to why you think that NHL refereeing is fair instead of attacking me.

Pro wrestling "referees" are also humans.  That doesn't explain their behavior.  The NHL is going in that direction with their refereeing and are actually not far away in my opinion.  They sometimes make the right call but suspiciously they look the other way at critical times as well.  Yes we all make mistakes but sometimes those mistakes are judgement mistakes and are made in board rooms and hidden from public view.

Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

this is an important game for sure. we need another big game from Horvat. When he is going the team gets pumped. I have a sneaky feeling that Tofu is going to play tonight I think they should change the line up quite a bit. Give Miller and Pettersson a gritty winger. 

Miller Pettersson Macewen

Pearson Horvat Tofu

Motte Sutter Boeser

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Fanta Benn

Markstrom

Demko

I would put Juolevi in for Fanta too but it won't happen. 

9 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I'm suggesting that NHL refereeing is being manipulated by the management.  It's not just about the Canucks, it's league-wide.  Like I said, I believe that they are doing so because they believe they have a right to maximize their profit.  And they seem to think that by manipulating the refereeing they are making their "product" better.  I think that it is making it worse.  I don't have proof of this but that is my considered opinion after being a hockey fan for more than 50 years.  You are free to disagree and hold whatever opinion you like.

Why do I watch hockey?  Do you really need to ask that?  Just because I think that there is a problem with the way the NHL officiates its games doesn't mean that I no longer like hockey.  In fact I even went out of my way to say that in my post.  You are very close to ad hominem here and maybe you can make a stronger argument as to why you think that NHL refereeing is fair instead of attacking me.

Pro wrestling "referees" are also humans.  That doesn't explain their behavior.  The NHL is going in that direction with their refereeing and are actually not far away in my opinion.  They sometimes make the right call but suspiciously they look the other way at critical times as well.  Yes we all make mistakes but sometimes those mistakes are judgement mistakes and are made in board rooms and hidden from public view.

Go Canucks Go!

I not arguing the fact that it happens. I concede that point. I actually agree with everything you are saying up to a point. The game is a business and they want certain teams to have success. I have watched all 50 seasons of this team and believe me when I say that its happened on more than one occasion that we have gotten the short end of the refereeing. When we have had success we have made sure the Refs had little to do with the game.

Im not attacking you at all . I always try to be respectful to the argument. The point i was making is what is the point of watching a game if you feel the rules are imposed unfairly. I dont play three card monty on the street because they can manipulate the outcome. NHL refs are not fair. I agree. Its just that complaining about it is like saying taxes are too high. They are . We all hate them and we have no control over it.

There's an old saying in sports that if you leave it up to the refs to make the decision you most likely wont like the outcome.

Pro wrestling is fixed . The referees actually are actors. Theres no "rules" there is a script so comparing those refs to NHL is not applicable.

Like Deb said lets see what tonight brings. This topic is so much wasted brain power. We all have better things to discuss.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

also the NFL has had many issues with officiating as well. The Seahawks loss in the super bowl to the Steelers, The cardinals loss in the super bowl to the Steelers , and dont even bother to go ask the Saints how they feel about the refs.... thats a long term commitment

The need to scapegoat the refs in the gdt's is pathetic.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Yeah, that's a dumb take. Most athletes and fans understand it's a game, overseen by referees. It's one of the biggest things that can change a game. Fans need to understand it's inevitably going to go against you sometimes and be upsetting. Most people bitch and moan about it to some degree sure, but it's like getting taxed by the government, eventually you pay the bill and move on. Every once in awhile they make a grievous mistake that haunts you for awhile but most times you simply realize you must pay the penalty and move on.

Regardless of getting taxed it's not like the government is out to get individuals, they are out to get everyone, it's their job. I have to agree with you. I would seriously have to question someone's intelligence if they really believe it's fixed and still watch the game. That's like throwing away part of every pay check on a lotto you know is fixed.

For the most part this is simply what you call poor sports, people that can't accept losing but sure as hell can accept winning and believe there is no game management there. As most serious athletes would confirm you don't dwell on a loss and you certainly don't hang your heads for days on end blaming something you have no control over. That's a defeatist attitude and not a recipe for professionalism, appearance, or success. It's just weak sauce.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Reffing isn’t fixed or rigged it’s simply inconsistent with no clear definition of what is a penalty and what is not, along with that definition being even more fluid depending on context and position of the game at hand 

• Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Go Canucks Go!

I don't buy that, I just don't. I hate the inconsistencies as much as anyone but this game, at this level is ridiculously tough to ref. Mistakes will always be made. Mistakes I get and I accept, and conspiracies I say are are for losers. I do have a beef with the inconsistencies within a game and that does bugs me to no end. A reffing crew should be able to deliver a level game within a game and manage that game appropriately. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, logic said:

Reffing isn’t fixed or rigged it’s simply inconsistent with no clear definition of what is a penalty and what is not, along with that definition being even more fluid depending on context and position of the game at hand 

The definitions for crosscheck are pretty clear.  

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That first line...that's your opinion.

I'm reading a book about Roger Nielsen right now.  He was no loser.  Actually, in life, he was a huge winner.

I don't like to dwell there, but it's worth mentioning.  Even the "you're going to call that??  In the playoffs?" by the on air commentators was a clue.  It's not just a few people mentioning this.  Coaches are being fined for it.  Whatever happened to freedom of expression? 

DeBrusk has called out soft b.s. calls against us on a couple of occasions this post season so far, and good on him for it. When fans are in the building you can understand how the refs might get caught up in the groundswell of homer emotions, but against the silent backdrop of this years games some of these calls literally scream incompetence.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, logic said:

2011 cup final was rigged so colin campbells ( who works for the NHL Head offices) gets a cup. Game 6 of the eastern final tampa had 5 power plays and scored 3 powerplay goals, game 7 no power plays for tampa

Edited by Squamfan