The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

The NHL didn't postpone the games, it was the players decision wasn't it?

Correct. But as I said they took the protest and completely missed the mark on the push for equality and social justice..

#VancouverandLasVegasandBostonandTampaBayPlayersMatter

I've been trying to figure out whats at he heart of (what I see as) the over reaction by some to BLM. I haven't seen anyone against it on here be really honest about their motivations for having such a strong negative reaction to it. 

I wonder if comes out of the thinking that there's only so much success to go around, and allowing others into the party means less for you? what is it that people think is being taken away from them? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, drdeath said:

Correct. But as I said they took the protest and completely missed the mark on the push for equality and social justice..

is that a misguided attempt at being clever?

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I've been trying to figure out whats at he heart of (what I see as) the over reaction by some to BLM. I haven't seen anyone against it on here be really honest about their motivations for having such a strong negative reaction to it. 

I wonder if comes out of the thinking that there's only so much success to go around, and allowing others into the party means less for you? what is it that people think is being taken away from them? 

the economics of equality?

5 minutes ago, drdeath said:

what mark did they miss? the NHL players took the opportunity to not let another incident go by unnoticed and created discussion. Seems to me they did a very good job and hit the mark perfectly for what was within their means to do. 

Edited by Robert Long

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

what mark did they miss? the NHL players took the opportunity to not let another incident go by unnoticed and created discussion. Seems to me they did a very good job and hit the mark perfectly for what was within their means to do. 

I have no issues with the shutdown. I have issues with the league's inability to use the time to fix the schedule and in fact making it worse by unbalancing the schedules within the conferences.

Before the shutdown both East series had 2 back to backs, which is already ridiculous while the West only had 1 for both series. Now after the shutdown one East series would have 2 and one West series would have 2.

If the Vancouver/Vegas series goes 7 that team would be playing its third game in 4 nights for Game 1 of the Conference Final while Tampa/Boston would have 3 days off after a game 7 before their game 1, Philly/New York would have 1 day off but only be playing 3 in 5 and ditto 3 in 5 for Colorado/Dallas.

....The obvious answer is the Canucks need to just handle business 3 games in a row though :towel:

1 minute ago, drdeath said:

I have no issues with the shutdown. I have issues with the league's inability to use the time to fix the schedule and in fact making it worse by unbalancing the schedules within the conferences.

Before the shutdown both East series had 2 back to backs, which is already ridiculous while the West only had 1 for both series. Now after the shutdown one East series would have 2 and one West series would have 2.

If the Vancouver/Vegas series goes 7 that team would be playing its third game in 4 nights for Game 1 of the Conference Final while Tampa/Boston would have 3 days off after a game 7 before their game 1, Philly/New York would have 1 day off but only be playing 3 in 5 and ditto 3 in 5 for Colorado/Dallas.

....The obvious answer is the Canucks need to just handle business 3 games in a row though :towel:

ah. Well, Bettman gonna Bettman is all I can say to that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

So many fascinating posts over the last day, for good and not so good reasons. 

One thing that caught my eye are the attempts to de-legitimize BLM. The reaction "all lives matter" e.g. Or that one of the founders uses Marxism to describe race relations. 

A newish one is "BLM Inc." which is super interesting. Why would BLM becoming a registered not-for-profit delegitimize what its thing to do? 

Have you been on their website?

Take a look. 

3 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Yeah, I don't like the schedule. Gm 3 and 4, 6 and 7 are now back to back.

Originally gm 5 and 6 were back to back. Sep 3 was game 7. They want to get it done by September 4 I guess.  

At least all teams have the same travel.  Nux no longer have the longest travel distance of all the nhl teams in playoffs. 

Hope Myers can return. The back to back can cause injures, fatigue. Imagine if any goes to multiple OTs?  Vegas has MAF. Maybe Demko will need to play. 

I think game 3 is crucial.  Take the lead and be less worried about losing 2 straight without time to recover. Vegas are more physical and a deeper team. 

For our upcoming back-to-back games this weekend, I would almost want to consider using some of our reserves throughout the lineup to keep us fresh.

i.e. Throw in BigMac, Juolevi, Myers, and maybe even Eriksson on the Sunday.  Knights are such an exhausting team to play against that it might give us the edge to change up the lineup for the Sunday.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

ah. Well, Bettman gonna Bettman is all I can say to that. 

Careful what you say about that... some people on here have an issue with anyone that has that sort of mindset. I agree but you might get called out like I did.:ph34r:

Edited by EP Phone Home

29 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Ours - and Vegas' - black aces petitioned the NHL for a compressed schedule to give them a chance to play

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'd be hard pressed to think Reaves doesn't still go at them, hard.  But I wonder if some of the jawwing and other stuff will be thought about before acted upon.  Maybe not...it's hockey and, in the heat of the moment, passion and emotion can take over.  Not holding my breath...but at least our guys did the right thing from their end despite it all.  They put that part aside to focus on something bigger.

I wonder if maybe the tone will change a bit.

In my hockey league some of the best trash talk is done between friends.  Almost like a celebrity roast.  So maybe a little less personal, but still lots of it going on.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This current protest looks bad for the officer in question. I have plenty of questions though.

Do we really know all the facts in question?
Is it fair for athletes and celebrities to make political statements when they themselves don’t know all the facts of a case? 

Is it right for these US police departments and prosecutions services to politically rush their investigations when it comes to employment and criminal charges? 
How can there be changes in some of these US cities when riots continue and police are using all their resources on keeping the peace? 
Are there poor training and proper hiring issues more relevant than racist members in these US policing forces? 

The one answer I would give to the question of whether being an officer in the US is a big hell no. It is extremely dangerous as pretty much every one has a gun and is willing to use it and most of them get paid peanuts.