The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

If OEL is traded here, I'd assume that would be the end of Tanev here. Would that mean Myers would slot in as Hughes' d-partner. I'd hope so, as out of all the defensemen on the team, he'd be the best candidate for combatting the physical play on Quinn.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking there are picks involved with this trade as well

guess

to ARI - Eriksson, Sutter, Juolevi, 2nd (2021), 2nd (2022)

to VAN - Ekman-Larsson (25% retained)

I hope you're right. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If OEL is traded here, I'd assume that would be the end of Tanev here. Would that mean Myers would slot in as Hughes' d-partner. I'd hope so, as out of all the defensemen on the team, he'd be the best candidate for combatting the physical play on Quinn.

not necessarily. If Jake is moved along with Baer it might still be possible to hang on to Tanman. 

33 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Why not OJ or Rathbone? They both play the left side....and iirc neither has spent time on right side...

their all going to end up second to huggy bear anyways and OEL makes us better now and in the future...

also picture Hughes , OEL and edler....I could make a case for that being one of or if not the best left side in the NHL .....

also after this up coming season edler might retire or sign a cheaper deal.....his deal was a two year deal right?

and be nice to have OEL as his replacement 

Because if we trade for OEL, Hughes likely moves to the right and eventually it would be nice to have OEL, Juolevi, Rathbone as our left D depth.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

guess

The rumour had it being pick, prospect, player (roster).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

guess

Seriously? You think they’re going to take over $10m of cap dumps and retain 25% for 7 years to get Juolevi and a couple 2nds?  

21 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

FWIW from Canucks Reddit, echoing pretty much what I proposed earlier.  ARI does not have the leverage here, and the Canucks/Bruins know it better than we.  We don't "need" OEL, so the price has to be right.  Coyotes can simply sit tight of course, but who knows at what level the ownership pressure might be.  They are saving big-time cash in this, and that won't come without cost.

I don't see them retaining 27%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

guess

So Arizona takes on as much money pretty much as they're giving up. Even if it was short term, they are struggling with covid times now. They want to save money now. This deal makes no sense for them as much as we want it to be true.

The tweet mentions those are the names discussed, doesn't mean they're all going. If somehow they are all going, not a chance they retain as well.

https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-17-nhl-teams-have-reduced-pay-amid-covid-19-crunch-1.1522380

Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range; the Arizona Coyotes, who recently failed to make on-time signing bonus payments to a number of players, may be operating just south of $70 million under their next GM; the Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly planning to budget in the low-to-mid $70 million range on an $81.5 million limit.

I think the original article was probably posted somewhere else in the threads as it came out on Sept 10, but thought the bit about Arizona was interesting relative to any discussion regarding OEL and what they may be willing to take back in trade.   Boston may also be a less willing dance partner based on the contract costs unless there is significant contract going back.  

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

guess

I wouldn’t oppose that deal but I would be stunned if they are willing to retain 25% for 7 seasons... that would be a little over 2 mil for 7 years. I could see them retaining if it was like 2-3 years left, but not 7. 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

guess

This is a terrible offer from Vancouver and there is no way in hell Phoenix ever takes this. I expect them to take Sutter, Juolevi, Virtanen and some form of conditional pick. Expecting Phoenix to take both Eriksson and Sutter is just a pipe dream.