The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling that OEL is fed up, and that Arizona is going to be forced to make a move. 

What makes Vancouver's situation different relative to last year is that Nate Schmidt's salary cap is on the roster. Like most other teams, Vancouver would have an internal cap attributed to various parts of the roster. I don't think they want to have 4 D's getting paid $6M +

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kind of depends on a lot factors, like the sport for one.  Not many gymnasts or swimmers competing a5 the highest levels over 30.  

People bodies start to breakdown more frequently and not recover that same around this area. But there are people that can maintain pass 30 but around 30 is normally the average

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is fed up too.  If teams don’t want the OEL contract, which is really bad, then he can be fed up all he wants.  The Coyotes would need to retain, and take back toxic contracts, add (maybe?) add to move OEL.  8.5 for six more years!  Only Skinner’s contract is worse.  

I think Vancouver is still one of his primary destinations. What I'm saying is that OEL is fed up with the state of the Coyotes, and wants to play games that mean something. 

Arizona is going to have to retain a portion of his salary if they want to move him, or take back an ugly one like Eriksson's. I could see it happening. 

I do have to ask. What exactly is Loui Eriksson fed up with? Getting paid handsomely for doing sweet (expletive deleted) all?

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

What makes Vancouver's situation different relative to last year is that Nate Schmidt's salary cap is on the roster. Like most other teams, Vancouver would have an internal cap attributed to various parts of the roster. I don't think they want to have 4 D's getting paid $6M +

Definitely not. Totally agree there. 

One of Myers or Schmidt would be going the other way. I see Schmidt being the odd man out. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

People bodies start to breakdown more frequently and not recover that same around this area. But there are people that can maintain pass 30 but around 30 is normally the average

What makes the D position a bit different is that a lot of it is experience. This is why D men tend to round out their games later in their careers. 

8 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

What makes the D position a bit different is that a lot of it is experience. This is why D men tend to round out their games later in their careers. 

You can only do what the body lets you. But yeah there nothing stopping anyone from becoming smarter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling that OEL is fed up, and that Arizona is going to be forced to make a move. 

I imagine there’s a fair amount of pressure on both sides (team and player) to get something done.

It’s never a good situation when a core player is being shopped openly, especially if it drags out too long. Luckily, for Arizona, they’re not exactly a hockey hotbed market. I can only imagine how this type of thing would play out in the media in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal. But even though they get to avoid the fishbowl, it’s still a huge distraction for the team, will affect relationships, and while OEL is a professional, you just can’t expect a player to be 100% committed to a team that’s clearly trying to move him.

There’s also the fact that next season is the first of three contract years where the actual salary is $10.5 million on that $8.25 AAV. So they might be motivated to get something done now, before they’re on the hook for the richest years of that contract.

Plus, the Coyotes currently have a bottom tier farm/prospects pool, recently have lost picks (forfeitures, plus renouncing rights on that bully kid), and traded away some of their prospects/youth. They could really use a fresh infusion of picks/prospects right now, and an OEL trade should be able to return some decent future assets.

But, yeah, I can’t imagine OEL wants to see another year play out of this kind of circus, so he’s probably pushing for something to get done. Then again, he’s been in Arizona for some time, so he’s probably used to being in the circus (just one that nobody watches). Spending 11 years in the desert probably makes a person very patient, assuming they don’t lose their mind first.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I imagine there’s a fair amount of pressure on both sides (team and player) to get something done.

It’s never a good situation when a core player is being shopped openly, especially if it drags out too long. Luckily, for Arizona, they’re not exactly a hockey hotbed market. I can only imagine how this type of thing would play out in the media in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal. But even though they get to avoid the fishbowl, it’s still a huge distraction for the team, will affect relationships, and while OEL is a professional, you just can’t expect a player to be 100% committed to a team that’s clearly trying to move him.

There’s also the fact that next season is the first of three contract years where the actual salary is $10.5 million on that $8.25 AAV. So they might be motivated to get something done now, before they’re on the hook for the richest years of that contract.

Plus, the Coyotes currently have a bottom tier farm/prospects pool, recently have lost picks (forfeitures, plus renouncing rights on that bully kid), and traded away some of their prospects/youth. They could really use a fresh infusion of picks/prospects right now, and an OEL trade should be able to return some decent future assets.

But, yeah, I can’t imagine OEL wants to see another year play out of this kind of circus, so he’s probably pushing for something to get done. Then again, he’s been in Arizona for some time, so he’s probably used to being in the circus (just one that nobody watches). Spending 11 years in the desert probably makes a person very patient, assuming they don’t lose their mind first.

OEL, and his contract, will cost the Coyotes picks and prospects just to get rid of.  Currently he’s a very negative value in trade.  

Like others suggest here, the Coyotes will need to take back ?Schmidt, retain on OEL, and even then I doubt Benning does that.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL, and his contract, will cost the Coyotes picks and prospects just to get rid of.  Currently he’s a very negative value in trade.  

Like others suggest here, the Coyotes will need to take back ?Schmidt, retain on OEL, and even then I doubt Benning does that.  

Honestly just retain OEL 50% and take loui

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think they’ll get assets if they retain salary, but I agree they have to add sweeteners and/or take back cap dumps, if they hope to move the full weight of that contract, especially in the current flat cap system.

I also think that, if a trade happens, it probably won’t exactly be something I’d agree with (and it will favour AZ more than I’d like to see). Just based on the way the market works in the NHL, with various inefficiencies and biases/blind spots built in, it’ll probably be something not in line with the way I view player values, when it comes to someone like OEL. Maybe I’m cynical, but I just have great faith in NHL GMs finding ways to justify making bad/risky decisions, especially on the financial side of their player acquisitions. ;) 

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

What kind of bad contract equates six years @ $8,500,000?

None.

Correct.  That is why they would also need to retain salary. 

My main point is, that unless they are willing to let JB and the Canucks fleece them, than the Canucks need to take a pass.

• Vintage 1

The only players/contracts that make sense to move in a deal for OEL are Schmidt and Myers. Sending 1 year bad contracts like Eriksson, Roussel, etc. are clear losses for the Canucks as they are trading short term cap problems for a long term one.

If Schmidt or Myers are included, our right side D is depleted while making one of Juolevi or Rathbone expendable. It leaves us one nhl level right side D and 4 left side nhl level d. 

Sign Hamonic, ok. But he is not a long term solution for Hughes which the Canucks would still need to find and be able to pay. And his agent was pretty transparent that he wants to get paid likely with term on his next deal. 

Fixing the left side D, or making a left side of Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone more impactful doesnt come from adding another left hand, left side dman. It comes from getting a top pairing level rhd to play with Hughes and sliding others down the depth chart.

One of Schmidt or Myers probably needs to go but to be replaced by a better top pairing option on the right side. Whichever one is left plus a guy like Hamonic fit well with Juolevi and Rathbone.

The focus should be core age players that can compete with this group, not more 30+ year olds. That just shortens or, if things go sideways, eliminates a contending window. With so many of the veteran players brought in not working out, its too much risk to keep throwing good money after bad on those types. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only players/contracts that make sense to move in a deal for OEL are Schmidt and Myers. Sending 1 year bad contracts like Eriksson, Roussel, etc. are clear losses for the Canucks as they are trading short term cap problems for a long term one.

moving out Schmidt for OEL as part of a bigger package does make sense. AZ can also expose Schmidt btw to Seattle if they want too. 

If Schmidt or Myers are included, our right side D is depleted while making one of Juolevi or Rathbone expendable. It leaves us one nhl level right side D and 4 left side nhl level d. 

nothing wrong with that, if we're making other moves to bring in a new 3C. 

Sign Hamonic, ok. But he is not a long term solution for Hughes which the Canucks would still need to find and be able to pay. And his agent was pretty transparent that he wants to get paid likely with term on his next deal. 

Fixing the left side D, or making a left side of Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone more impactful doesnt come from adding another left hand, left side dman. It comes from getting a top pairing level rhd to play with Hughes and sliding others down the depth chart.

One of Schmidt or Myers probably needs to go but to be replaced by a better top pairing option on the right side. Whichever one is left plus a guy like Hamonic fit well with Juolevi and Rathbone.

The focus should be core age players that can compete with this group, not more 30+ year olds. That just shortens or, if things go sideways, eliminates a contending window. With so many of the veteran players brought in not working out, its too much risk to keep throwing good money after bad on those types. 

you need to tone down the "can't compete with 30 year olds" thing, have a look at the rosters left over in the playoffs.