The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 04, 2020 | Golden Knights win series 4-3

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

The Knights averaged 39 shots a game in the series. Had little to do with pulling together defensively and mostly hot goaltending over a 4 day stretch by Demko.

Agree, our def sucked in this series ...if it weren't for markstrom and demko, we woulda been out along time ago...our team defensive play was horrible...but other than that, we did ok, game 7 our total shots kina sucked :( or we mighta had more potential goals...minus brocks attempt

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

The Knights averaged 39 shots a game in the series. Had little to do with pulling together defensively and mostly hot goaltending over a 4 day stretch by Demko.

He was hot, but he had a lot of help 

The effort was there 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The effort was there 

Effort and actually being good are two different things.  I dont think anyone can be happy with the amount of chances given up.  Our team needs youth and a bit more size on the backend.  Look at Tampas defense right now, or even think back to our 2011 group.  You need horses in their prime back there.   Edler and Tanev are soldiers and hope they stay but we need replacements for them.  Thats why Joulevi and Woo developing are crucial.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The effort was there 

Yeah, for sure.  I haven’t seen our team lay out to block shots and limit rebounds like that in recent memory.  The defensive effort was great.  

The problem was in transition and controlling possession.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Effort and actually being good are two different things.  I dont think anyone can be happy with the amount of chances given up.  Our team needs youth and a bit more size on the backend.  Look at Tampas defense right now, or even think back to our 2011 group.  You need horses in their prime back there.   Edler and Tanev are soldiers and hope they stay but we need replacements for them.  Thats why Joulevi and Woo developing are crucial.   

Absolutely, but you can have the horses but not the effort

I wish things had been better, but anyone saying they weren't trying is out to lunch

• Vintage 4

19 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, for sure.  I haven’t seen our team lay out to block shots and limit rebounds like that in recent memory.  The defensive effort was great.  

The problem was in transition and controlling possession.

That's what I saw as well

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

failed us big time ..

not the reason why we lost the series. without Demko standing on his head, we wouldn't even of had a sniff at winning game 7. Yes, the PP which resulted from reaves 5 min major in game 7 failed us in that moment but it's not the reason why we lost the series. we lost the series because vegas is the better team; our goaltending gave us a chance.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We didn't get timely production from our PP when we needed it most. Think of all the wasted opportunities. 

That was the difference. Period. End of story

"Waiter, I'll have what he's having. I too like to indulge in liquor."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s obvious the goal should be to get faster and better at transitioning the puck. That’s how this team will have to be built.

Too many guys that just couldn’t move the puck quick enough and keep possession, and that cost us.

It was a glaring issue all year but especially during this series.  Thankfully IMO we have players internally that should help the transition game with Podz and Hogs up front and Joulevi and Rathbone on D. 

None of us know what our cap will look like with the contracts of Ferland, Baer and LE still up in the air but I do hope we get relief for at least 2 of them. However I'm not sure if TT should be a top priority, It will be interesting how the goalie situation is handled, I've always been team Marky but Demko and his play, composure and how in control he looked has made things muddy for me. I never wanted him moved but I saw Marky as the clear#1 next season. Now I could get on board with a cheaper guy like Greiss with Demko and using the cap saved on Marky and TT to improve the D and bottom six. I was fine with Sutter, Beagle and Motte. The biggest disappointment for me was AG, AR and JV.  The first 2 were putrid. People here rag on Sutter and Beagle yet Gaudette seems to get a pass every time.  Having him centre a line also forces Green to keep Sutter on that line to cover for all Gaudettes woes.  If Ferland end up on LTIR, Benning will have 22 million in cap space. I think only one of Tanev or Stech should be back and instead of re-signing TT Benning needs to acquire a true top 4   RHD. I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this but go after Petro, take the cap savings from a combination of TT, Ferland (if LTIR) Marky (if he refuses to accept a non NMC for the ED draft), Stech or Tanev. We all have been assuming all of our cap has to be spent on the big 3 but this run for at least me, has shifted into using the cap to looking outside of our team to improve.  Are the Nucks a better team if they sign Marky to a deal that leaves Demko exposed? Is TT a top priority with guys like Podz and Hogs possibly being top six guys? 

One things for sure, it's gonna be a hell of an offseason in Vancouver. 

21 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Our bottom six has one of the worst money spent on it and it doesn't get the production it needs. It is what is really hurting this team right now. Its so slow and old and offer nothing.

Well I agree our bottom six has issues, I have zero problem with how Sutter and Beagle played in the bubble. Of the guys in our bottom six Jake, Gaudette and Rousell were the biggest let downs for me.

Sutter and Beagle killed penalties blocked shots won faceoffs. WTF did Gaudette bring to the bubble? What did Rousell bring? And Jake who I have supported for years killed almost every play he was involved in 5-5 and on the PP.

On defense I think our top 4 was pretty good but Damn Tanev had issues all series trying to transition but he still brought a lot to the table. I think Stech, Fanta the former who I am usually down on did a great job defending but like Tanev were just to slow getting the puck out.  I hope Benning uses the 19-22 million in cap to target Petro in UFA which would cost us TT and Marky unless we get LTIR from Ferland, and LE or Baer walk.

I am a huge Marky fan but with the ED draft unless he agrees to being exposed I would rather target a vet like Greiss or Halak etc. People including me were skeptical of anointing Demko after his first game even the second but after last night I'm convinced that this was his coming-out party. I still think he's not ready for 60+ games a year and would still prefer Marky but not on a long term deal, or a contract that includes ED protection. A 4 year deal without ED protection would be perfect especially if we somehow get blessed and LE and Baer (doubtful are off the books)  allowing Benning to sign his guys plus target a high-end RHD through UFA.

I never sat once during the game, I paced back and forth nervously.  When Vegas got thier first goal I knew that was it.  I immediately went for a run, hoping I'd see the game on the TV of people houses heading into overtime or the sounds of a bunch of car horns lol.  Oh well, twas a valiant effort all around and it provided us fans a nice distraction from this tumultuous year.  Now get to work Benning.

• Cheers 3