The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

1 hour ago, Provost said:

There are no teams that need help to get to the cap floor.

Teams with struggling ownership don’t want to take money back for no reason.

How do you know that? A team like Ottawa has 40M cap space and needs to bump it up by 20M. A player like LE brings in 6M with a true cost of 2M. An owners dream considering this financial era.
LE is very marketable at this point in his contract. No brainer.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

beagles best yr in nhl he scored 13 goals  only thing beagle can do is win faceoffs and pk    jakes got  20 goals 39 points  in reg season and playoffs this yr 

Could care less if all of Virtanen/Beagle/Sutter/Rousell/Gaudette are gone. 

Only bottom 6 guy I want to remain is Motte. 

Only top 6 guy I want gone is Pearson. The rest should stay. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

How do you know that? A team like Ottawa has 40M cap space and needs to bump it up by 20M. A player like LE brings in 6M with a true cost of 2M. An owners dream considering this financial era.

This season the closest team to the floor was NJD and they still finished over 12M above the floor and that's after trading Hall mid-season.  Ottawa has plenty of players to sign still which makes unlikely that they'd be below the floor.  Spending anything beyond the floor just compounds the losses, financially there's no advantage to add a contract they don't need.

Eriksson is still owed 5M.  Russell is also on the trade block and is only owed 1.5M - he'd be a more attractive cap dump if there were a team at risk of not reaching the floor.  Also if there is no AHL, they might prefer to give those roster spots to prospects so that they have a place to play.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

LeBrun:  "Now, I can tell you right now the Canes do not want to deal Pesce. They love his contract. I mean, love it."

He is signed at 4.025M for another 4 years.   Gaudette and Virtanen are probably going to cost combined as much as Pesce and have nowhere near the same impact.   

That by no means says they won’t ever trade him. Anyone can be traded for the right price. 

Edited by Pears

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

That by no means says they won’t ever trade him. Anyone can be traded for the right price. 

Sure, but it doesn't mean that Virtanen and Gaudette are the right price.   If Pesce is on the market there would certainly be better offers than this.  

3 hours ago, mll said:

This season the closest team to the floor was NJD and they still finished over 12M above the floor and that's after trading Hall mid-season.  Ottawa has plenty of players to sign still which makes unlikely that they'd be below the floor.  Spending anything beyond the floor just compounds the losses, financially there's no advantage to add a contract they don't need.

Eriksson is still owed 5M.  Russell is also on the trade block and is only owed 1.5M - he'd be a more attractive cap dump if there were a team at risk of not reaching the floor.  Also if there is no AHL, they might prefer to give those roster spots to prospects so that they have a place to play.

Ottawa will also be having 12M coming off the books from their LTIR so even with ur comments about them re-signing players, they will still have a tough go to reach that floor. 

36 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Ottawa will also be having 12M coming off the books from their LTIR so even with ur comments about them re-signing players, they will still have a tough go to reach that floor. 

CapFriendly has already removed those LTIR contracts and shows them 18.3 M below the floor with only 10 players under contract.  18M for 13 players could be gone pretty quickly.  

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Tanev compliments Hughes so well that it allows Quinn to do what he does much easier. That D pairing is a massive reason they had the success they did. Of course they want Tanev over Toffoli. 

But it's not all about this year or the next one.   How long will Tanev be able follow and compliments Hughes?  Soon it will be Hughes carrying Tanev around.  Therefore, we need to look further down the road and ask our self if we wouldn't be better with a cheaper version of Tanev, even if he's not as good.  Capwise, it might be the way to go.

45 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

But it's not all about this year or the next one.   How long will Tanev be able follow and compliments Hughes?  Soon it will be Hughes carrying Tanev around.  Therefore, we need to look further down the road and ask our self if we wouldn't be better with a cheaper version of Tanev, even if he's not as good.  Capwise, it might be the way to go.

id let tanev walk  hes old and we need young dmen coming in a trade or through draft

• Wat 1

If it is a question of creating CAP space then I prefer Roussel being traded over Jake. This is all about 2 years out and CUP contention. I even keep Gaudette over Sutter.

Big Mac will be in the line up next year but he is not the sole answer to replacing Virtanen. IMHO the Canucks need size and will need both these players. MacEwan has decent speed but not Jake speed. If RFA costs to much for Jake then so be it but I trust Benning's decisions.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Ottawa doesn’t have 40 million in cap space.  They have Gaborik and Anders Nilsson that aren’t counted in that total.

They have already spent $49.4 million with only 11 players signed. Signing their own RFAs to even an average of $1 million average takes them to the cap floor.... and several of their RFAs are going to cost a lot more than a million.

They don’t need to take on trash contracts and Eriksson doesn’t not have any value and is no sort of owner’s dream at all.

Even if they did need help reaching the floor (which they don’t), they can just find another LTIR contract to take on that has insurance paying all the salary.

9 hours ago, mll said:

Benning just came out and say Virtanen did not do as well as expected.  Other GMs noticed that too.  Especially when watching the direct difference with Tuch who was drafted the same year.  

Carolina are looking to move cap elsewhere - Gardiner, Niederreiter and Dzingel are on the trade block per Burnside.  

Bean was 13th overall and on an ELC.   He's also expansion exempt and just had a very solid season in the AHL.  He probably has too much value to be available in a trade for a non impact player.  Dundon seems to be a meddling owner.  Other GMs have complained about him leaking to the press.  He talks of efficiency.  Trading Bean for an inconsistent 3rd liner who failed to make an impact in the post-season is not very logical.  

I understand he is is not exempt from the expansion draft?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

While Tanev was a warrior blocking shots, he was badly exposed when the puck was on his stick.   I'm not against resigning him to something affordable, but Myers is making $6M and really should be in the top 4 and paired with QH.  Then we just need a decent and relatively cheap option on our 3rd pairing with OJ. 

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stech

OJ - ???

Edited by Jayinblack

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

If it is a question of creating CAP space then I prefer Roussel being traded over Jake. This is all about 2 years out and CUP contention. I even keep Gaudette over Sutter.

Big Mac will be in the line up next year but he is not the sole answer to replacing Virtanen. IMHO the Canucks need size and will need both these players. MacEwan has decent speed but not Jake speed. If RFA costs to much for Jake then so be it but I trust Benning's decisions.

I think 2 of these need to go to make room both capwise and for younger guys to develop:   Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Rooster

The question is what does JB have to give up to move them.

• Upvote 1