The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning 20 minute Interview on 1040

Rate this topic

Provost

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not sure about Pearson (who I think his 'bad play' is being overstated and is one of our go to PK'ers) but Toffoli was definitely playing hurt. I don't think it was a matter of 'wilting'.

Pearson was 6th amongst forwards on the team in SH TOI per game (38 seconds), and played a total of 10 minutes on the PK in the playoffs. I think that's pretty replaceable. In the last 11 playoff games he had zero points outside of one empty net goal and one empty net assist.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You still need guys not physically small In defensive  zone starts.  And I don’t mean Hall Gill types (they have to be able to play the game decently enough).  Hughes isn’t going to match up well against big power forwards in front of our net.  Not that Tanev is big by any stretch but even at this stage in his career, pretty much the only guy better than him without the puck defensively is Edler.

This is why i'm hoping Myers-Hughes becomes a pairing next year (and moving fwd).  Myers is better with the puck than Tanev.

Or Tryamkin-Hughes :bigblush:

Edited by Jayinblack

12 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Thanks for sharing this.  Without counting teams internal salary restrictions it’s going to be a tight market for both ufa and rfa’s.  factor in a few big fish like Taylor hall and petriangelo and a healthy chunk will come off the top.  Really curious how many 1-2 year deals go on the books

It is a very interesting chart.  All but six teams have more than $20-million available.  And out of those teams, how many of them would be willing to pay $6-million for a goalie?  And after have tasted what this team can do!  Like others, I see a short term deal when we will have money to pay more.  This way we could shovel more money towards him as his age wains.

23 hours ago, Drop Em said:

Without Markstrom, who are these other goalies in the system that you're referring too? It's debatable if Demko is ready to be a #1, Domingue is an average journeyman at best, and Dipietro isn't ready to even be a back up at the NHL level. 

If the price becomes too rich, we need balanced act.  If Markstrom agrees to sign for short-term contract, I'm fine with it with Seattle expansion draft consideration.  You do not want to lock him long term only for Seattle to nab one of our goalies and be stuck facing one of our own on a rival night backstopping Seattle to victory.  Short-term is a must.  2 years contract with just one year of pain and suffering but he will be UFA again and free to choose a team of his choice. Make no deal with your enemy, take a hit and move on.  It's forward depth and defence depth that we cannot afford to take a hit while our top two goalies, we can afford to take a hit on that area.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ditto on all of that.

Marky's REALLY going to need to want to stay and win here the next couple seasons to sign. Zero chance he signs a 1 year IMO. But yeah, any NMC is off the table regardless. He may be Benning's first priority, but I feel he's also the least likely of the three to re-up. We simply can't afford more than $5.5-$6, 4 years and zero NMC/ED protection with Demko coming up. And even then, he's got one more year, maybe two before he's moved in favour of Demko starting anyway. It'll be interesting!

Yup, demoted is another (and perhaps most likely) option. If we're REALLY pinched, he could even be bought out for the extra ~$600k of cap it would save. But retaining would effectively do the same with no penalty the following year. Is a 1 year, $1.6m Baer that bad of a gamble for a team short of middle 6 F's...? Who knows? Getting someone to bite on the full contract would certainly cost though.

The good thing about Marky being a UFA this season is how many other quality UFA goaltenders are out there. Kinda crazy really. I could see a stalemate on who signs first and for what, could hold up the goalie market. The added pressure of a quickened season coming up at least gives leverage back to the gm's so our free agency season doesn't get hi jacked like it did last summer!! But one has to wonder if this unique off season will get us a better deal on a starting goalie than most other years.

Free agent 1A/1B goalies....Holtby, Crawford, Lehner, Marky, Greiss, Talbot, Khudobin, Smith, and Anderson....all very good goalies. I think Holtby, Marky, Anderson and Lehner will be waiting eachother out as they are considered true starters with upside, where as the rest are place holders. But still really amazing quality this year. I'm actually not too concerned if we lose Marky because we'll be able to pick another up no problem to help insulate Demko. I LOVE Khudobin as a 1B goalie, guy is a rock solid goalie. Nothing fancy but keeps you in the game.

I would way rather have Marky stay than bring another goalie in. But at least if we have to find another one, this is the off season to do it.

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:54 PM, shapo said:

Id sign Jake Virtanen over Tyler Toffoli at the moment, Jakes still trending up but running out of excuses i know but going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than Toffoli. Dont get me wrong peeps i like Toffoli but need to spend wisely, Thoughts.

I agree.

Alex Tuch’s regular season stats:

42gm.    8 g.  9 a.  17p.    -10

Jake Virtanen’s regular season stats:

69gm.   18g. 18 a. 36p.  -4

Jake had a poor playoff.  No doubt.  That should allow a cheaper contract.  It was his first playoff.  Alex Tuch was in his 3rd.  Jake can be a great 3rd liner if he can learn consistency.  I would sign him to a 1-2 year show me contract.  We have to stop thinking about his draft position.  

However, I’d trade Virtanen for Josh Anderson straight up.  I would not let Jake go for a 2nd rounder.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, skategal said:

4 years I can go with, not $6M.  He's not more valuable than Horvat or Boeser.  I know stats are stats and one can make numbers support any argument, but saw an article recently that analyzed Motte's performance and he is not a top 6 player.  I don't think we want to pay a bottom 6 that well?  

4 years totalling 6m equals 1.5m per season for a cap hit. Very reasonable imo

10 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Myers is better with the puck than Tanev.

Giraffe is not better than Tanev with the puck, he makes some boneheaded decisions on the regular. He contributes but that contract is a bad one, he didn't deserve 6m nor the 5yr term. We overpaid to land him, hopefully he goes to Seattle via expansion, then we can expose him all the time!

30 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

The good thing about Marky being a UFA this season is how many other quality UFA goaltenders are out there. Kinda crazy really. I could see a stalemate on who signs first and for what, could hold up the goalie market. The added pressure of a quickened season coming up at least gives leverage back to the gm's so our free agency season doesn't get hi jacked like it did last summer!! But one has to wonder if this unique off season will get us a better deal on a starting goalie than most other years.

Free agent 1A/1B goalies....Holtby, Crawford, Lehner, Marky, Greiss, Talbot, Khudobin, Smith, and Anderson....all very good goalies. I think Holtby, Marky, Anderson and Lehner will be waiting eachother out as they are considered true starters with upside, where as the rest are place holders. But still really amazing quality this year. I'm actually not too concerned if we lose Marky because we'll be able to pick another up no problem to help insulate Demko. I LOVE Khudobin as a 1B goalie, guy is a rock solid goalie. Nothing fancy but keeps you in the game.

I would way rather have Marky stay than bring another goalie in. But at least if we have to find another one, this is the off season to do it.

Absolutely.  It really reduces their leverage too as there are more goalies than starting spots out there.  Some solid 1B guys are going to be left without a seat at the end of the musical chairs game that the goalie market will be this summer.  They can’t decide to wait and weigh offers for fear of all the money and spots being taken.

Lehner only got a 1 year, $5 million contract last year coming off a Vezina finalist season.

I had originally thought a $6 million x 4 contract was the ceiling for Markstrom, but with Benning’s recent comments I think a 3 year term at that value or a lower cap hit for a 4th year is the top end of what he is going to be offered.

Add in the trade rumour guys like MAF, Kuemper, and Murray to that mix of available good goalies on the market.  They have then bonus of less term remaining than it would take to sign a UFA.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Absolutely.  It really reduces their leverage too as there are more goalies than starting spots out there.  Some solid 1B guys are going to be left without a seat at the end of the musical chairs game that the goalie market will be this summer.  They can’t decide to wait and weigh offers for fear of all the money and spots being taken.

Lehner only got a 1 year, $5 million contract last year coming off a Vezina finalist season.

I had originally thought a $6 million x 4 contract was the ceiling for Markstrom, but with Benning’s recent comments I think a 3 year term at that value or a lower cap hit for a 4th year is the top end of what he is going to be offered.

Add in the trade rumour guys like MAF, Kuemper, and Murray to that mix of available good goalies on the market.  They have then bonus of less term remaining than it would take to sign a UFA.

term might be the difference maker here. Realistically is a 33-34 year old Marky going to get another significant deal? if his agent thinks he can get 5 years out of Toronto e.g. does he really take 3 here? 

I could maybe see a 3 year deal that is maxed out on bonus money and weighted as much as possible to giving him a big payout next season, maybe something like 7 mil, then 5 then 4 but i don't know what the variance allowed is now under the new CBA. But something along those lines where the 1st two seasons are mostly bonus money. 

Just now, Robert Long said:

term might be the difference maker here. Realistically is a 33-34 year old Marky going to get another significant deal? if his agent thinks he can get 5 years out of Toronto e.g. does he really take 3 here? 

I could maybe see a 3 year deal that is maxed out on bonus money and weighted as much as possible to giving him a big payout next season, maybe something like 7 mil, then 5 then 4 but i don't know what the variance allowed is now under the new CBA. But something along those lines where the 1st two seasons are mostly bonus money. 

I should have been more clear... I think that term is the ceiling WE will be offering.  He could get more elsewhere.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, tas said:

benning's best trait is that he's been entirely truthful in every interview he's given since the day he was hired, if you know how to read between the lines.

he's never been cagey or greasy like gillis was. 

except when it comes to the lead up to the draft - where he cashes in the straight-shooter rep to run some misdirection.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, tas said:

I'd argue he's bad in front of a camera, not necessarily a bad communicator. the organization sure seems to be all pulling the rope in the same direction.

they hired linden to try to prevent mass season ticket abandonment by putting the most beloved person in franchise history front and center. 

you're underestimating the impact Linden had.  look at who he brought in - beyond Benning.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

you're underestimating the impact Linden had.  look at who he brought in - beyond Benning.

who in your estimation would be considered linden hires? tc carling, willie desjardins, doug lidster, perry pearn. who else can we definitively credit linden for? green and his staff? RJ? 

7 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I agree.

Alex Tuch’s regular season stats:

42gm.    8 g.  9 a.  17p.    -10

Jake Virtanen’s regular season stats:

69gm.   18g. 18 a. 36p.  -4

Jake had a poor playoff.  No doubt.  That should allow a cheaper contract.  It was his first playoff.  Alex Tuch was in his 3rd.  Jake can be a great 3rd liner if he can learn consistency.  I would sign him to a 1-2 year show me contract.  We have to stop thinking about his draft position.  

However, I’d trade Virtanen for Josh Anderson straight up.  I would not let Jake go for a 2nd rounder.

i think its going to be term as jakes already had a show me contract, agree we shouldnt trade him for a draft pick, puts us behind but a like for like trade for a two way defencemen would be ideal. I think he will end up permanetly on the third line and go up a line or two if injuries occur

Edited by shapo

3 hours ago, tas said:

who in your estimation would be considered linden hires? tc carling, willie desjardins, doug lidster, perry pearn. who else can we definitively credit linden for? green and his staff? RJ? 

Benning

Green

Malhotra

Johnson

Brackett

Henning

Walker

Baumgartner

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Benning

Green

Malhotra

Johnson

Brackett

Henning

Walker

Baumgartner

which henning? if it's any relation to lorne then I have to believe it predates linden. also, yeah, brackett was a gillis hire. it's reasonable to assume about manny, RJ, and walker, but I don't know how much input Benning et al would have had too. 

Edited by tas