The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning 20 minute Interview on 1040

Rate this topic

Provost

1 hour ago, The Colt 45s said:

A trade package could exist if the sweetener is right.  Packaged these contracts with Demko would probably be the asking price.  I don't think we make that deal. 

Demko is the crown jewel of Benning's first draft with the Canucks.  Demko also will get better alongside Pettersson and Hughes. Demko staying with the team keeps our window open a lot longer.  Markstrom, as much as I appreciate the guy, will decline soon. 

I really hope the strategy is to sign Markstrom to a contract that allows him to be traded or exposed.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would be a mistake, guy cant contribute. Send him to Utica via waivers or if the A doesn't happen then the league will have too allow some sort of europe clause where we can hopefully ship LE on a 1 way ticket far far away!

Whatever happens with Eriksson I hate that his contract has put the Canucks in a position to lose Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette etc. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

One thing in our favour is that even if we get Markstrom signed, we can give him a full no trade clause for expansion year.

With the rule change that makes NMC/NTC always move with a trade (unlike before) Seattle can’t just take a bunch of goalies and then auction them off back to teams.  If they pick up Markstrom they have to keep him.

It is a remote chance, but possible that we can end up keeping both after expansion.

We could also heavily load the contract with expensive bonuses due immediately after expansion to make him far less attractive to SEA to take. NTC and expensive bonus won't look terribly attractive IMO.

And then we don't need to be in any rush to move him.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We could also heavily load the contract with expensive bonuses due immediately after expansion to make him far less attractive to SEA to take. NTC and expensive bonus won't look terribly attractive IMO.

And then we don't need to be in any rush to move him.

IF we can get him to a short term deal of 3 years or less... that seems like an ideal outcome.  Expose him with the poison pill attached and protect Demko to gradually take over the starting spot.

The downside is that there is virtually no incentive for Markstrom to agree to all of this.  He will be the top goalie on the UFA market, and some team is going to give him a $6 million, 5 year term contract.  Expecting him to take a haircut to stay here is reasonable, expecting him to cut his contract value in half to stay here is probably asking too much.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

Demko also will get better alongside Pettersson and Hughes.

Neither of those guys can defend at a high level (though Hughes can develop into something decent as he gets older)..  Tanev and Edler both need to be replaced at some point (neither are getting any younger).  Those are the ONLY two guys that can defend at a high level right now on the blueline.  You can't expect *any* goalie to sustain that level of performance throughout multiple seasons without resorting to a "Jacques Lemaire style offense" once those two guys are gone.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

50 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Each teams cap space

spacer.png

Thanks for sharing this.  Without counting teams internal salary restrictions it’s going to be a tight market for both ufa and rfa’s.  factor in a few big fish like Taylor hall and petriangelo and a healthy chunk will come off the top.  Really curious how many 1-2 year deals go on the books

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

IF we can get him to a short term deal of 3 years or less... that seems like an ideal outcome.  Expose him with the poison pill attached and protect Demko to gradually take over the starting spot.

The downside is that there is virtually no incentive for Markstrom to agree to all of this.  He will be the top goalie on the UFA market, and some team is going to give him a $6 million, 5 year term contract.  Expecting him to take a haircut to stay here is reasonable, expecting him to cut his contract value in half to stay here is probably asking too much.

Oh I think we'll end up around $5.5-$6m x 4 years with an NTC (and the heavy $ ED bonus) if we do sign him.

It's still a 'good' contract, just not a 'great' one.

Up to him on how badly he wants to stay here.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Neither of those guys can defend at a high level (though Hughes can develop into something decent as he gets older)..  Tanev and Edler both need to be replaced at some point (neither are getting any younger).  Those are the ONLY two guys that can defend at a high level right now on the blueline.  You can't expect *any* goalie to sustain that level of performance throughout multiple seasons without resorting to a "Jacques Lemaire style offense" once those two guys are gone.

Replacing Edler and Tanev will be crucial. Especially since Meyers is someone that can at times need someone stable to cover him. 

8 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

Replacing Edler and Tanev will be crucial. Especially since Meyers is someone that can at times need someone stable to cover him. 

Yep, those two are important cogs in our system. Hopefully that’s where Tryamkin will fit in. He’s a defensive defenseman who is more consistent than Myers but who also plays with an edge.

• Upvote 1

Just a wild suggestion if JB decides to not re-sign Marky.  Make a deal with Carolina as speculation that they were after a #1 goalie.  This assumes Marky will sign with Carolina (guess they would have talks beforehand??).

Marky rights + Roussel + Stecher

for

Pesce ($4.025M for 4 yrs)+ Reimer ($3.4M for 1 yr)

Meh.  I'm bad at trades.  So sue me.

Lol.

:P

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Yes of course it is... but if he is able to get more elsewhere, why would he sign that contract, bearing in mind he may be shipped out anyway?

And thus he'd lose dollars for nothing...

Besides who's to say he is offered 6x4?

Aha, got ya. 

Canucks should try to sign him but if the ask is too much then, we just have to walk away. If he likes it here and wants to stay, it just can't be more than 6 mil. If I'm Marky, I'd go with the team that I know that I can do well. He's earned the right to be a UFA and if he thinks he can get more money and dollar elsewhere, and if that's more important than stability, then he should and he will leave.

The 4 year term is because that is the only way for the Canucks to reward him. I don't know about you but if a team that I play for is offering me 4 year term at reasonable dollar amount, I'd see it as a sign of loyalty. That's a statement of confidence in your ability as a starting goalie. He would prefer NMC/NTC but given the nature of the business, we just can't. If he think that's because we aren't loyal to him, then I guess he will leave.

36 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yep, those two are important cogs in our system. Hopefully that’s where Tryamkin will fit in. He’s a defensive defenseman who is more consistent than Myers but who also plays with an edge.

Who knows where Tryamkin will fit in though. 

I sometimes think the Canucks can be a highly offensive team that covers up defensive mistakes through good goaltending. Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty are the most prominent defenders in the system and transitioning the puck up ice is their signature trait. 

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ya I do, he is in his mid 20s, not an aging 32 year old Beagle. A 4yr 6m contract would be a good idea imo, Motte is 1 of the few Canucks that shows up to play EVERY single night

I like the guy, he works his ass off. But he's an undersized and minimally skilled 4th line winger, who is just happy to be in the NHL, and he knows that. And because of that, he'll continue to work hard to keep himself in the league (and because he seems like a hard worker in general). But you don't need to thank him for it, by giving a guy like that a 4 year deal.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Just a wild suggestion if JB decides to not re-sign Marky.  Make a deal with Carolina as speculation that they were after a #1 goalie.  This assumes Marky will sign with Carolina (guess they would have talks beforehand??).

Marky rights + Roussel + Stecher

for

Pesce ($4.025M for 4 yrs)+ Reimer ($3.4M for 1 yr)

Meh.  I'm bad at trades.  So sue me.

Lol.

:P

The valuations could use some work :lol: but the general premise is solid.

Ideally, if it doesn't look like he's coming back, moving his rights to one of the teams looking for a goalie, in a package like your suggesting, wouldn't be an awful idea. I'd imagine Jim would even take Marky's input on where he's like to land.

They're not moving Pesce though lol

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Pretty decent of Jim to give 1040 this kind of interview after all the bs they shovel his way. 

Telling though how the Canucks are much more open to having players and/or the GM being interviewed on 1040 as opposed to when 650 first nabbed the rights.  I remember how soon after, when anyone from the organization was basically blacklisted from being on 1040.  And that change has everything to do with how much 1040 still wins in the ratings game. How many more fans they realize, are tuned into that station rather than the "official" Canucks station.